Survey: online game relationships and love

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

IT's ALL ABOUT LOVE...

Hi, we are looking for motivated ONLINE ROLE-PLAYING GAMERS who want to participate in this survey about online & offline love. It is anonymous and will not be used for commercial purposes. There are no wrong answers, only personal opinions. Completing this survey will take only 10 minutes. There are 7 pages and on each page you can see where you are in the survey. Please fill in all of the questions, because only then the results are useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEh6ZDR3bUpRMUc0c0FoaWhMWnJkdGc6MQ

Several Amazon gift vouchers of up to $20 can be won!

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards, Ghent University (Belgium)

so many of your questions do not apply to SL.... they do apply to WoW. so we know where your idea came from.

SL is NOT a game. It is a Virtual Reality World. the rules that apply to WoW do not apply here.

ETA... not sure how well its going to go over with all of the personal questions... and i would like to know the odds of winning a gift card.

Yea, I see what you guys mean about it appearing to be more about an MMORPG like wow or something similar.

I'm an SL resident and I also have played wow for a number of years (I think I never want to see another noble garden egg after today! -at least till next year :P) Just from the few questions I was able to view, I would have to answer differently depending on which virtual world I was answering about.

I opted not to take the survey. I could only look at the 1st page since I didn't answer the questions. I wanted to view all questions to get a feel for what sort of info the survey was trying to process.

It concerns me how this data may be reported being this link to it is posted on a forum for SL..

Ex: Please give your opinion about how you relate to your character

one of the questions in this heading is...

I would like to be more like my character    

5 options to answer from stongly disagree to strongly agree

Now in wow my characters are all killing machines, lol. The whole game is centered around war and combat and that is what you do there. Of course I don't want to be more like that. I never want to have to consider being like that, truthfuly. But in SL, I have a social life and a job a friends and it's a whole different scenario. I'd probably answer pretty close to strongly agree.

So is there going to be a report out somewhere saying '75% of people that play these games wish to be more like their characters' with scenes of people chopping each other up with broadswords? lol

and on the 1st page I really didn't see anything about love and not much at all that had to do with relationships. It looks more like a survey about what people's frames of mind are when playing certain types of games. I think mixing data from SL users with people playing Diablo would probably yeild some pretty inaccurate results, and could cause undue alarm because people would not actually be answering about what you're really asking about

Personally, I'm in agreement with what some others have posted here. I don't consider SL a game. I never refer to myself as 'playing SL' or 'playing Eileen'.

Don't forget about the roleplayers in wow, Eileen :)

My charakters there had a whole story, they were not just killing machines (ok...maybe that elven farstrider when seeing a group of forest trolls...). Asking for identivication with a charakter or the wish to be more like one should always include deeper questions about the intention someone has.

But I strongly agree that this survey here should be more specific and only made for SL and not for every MMO world out there.

it doesnt matter anyway .. self-selected participation in surveys assures that the surveys have no statistical validity .. 1uv the fundamental assumptions of parametric stats is random sampling .. throwing a survey up & leaving it up 2 ppl 2 decide 4 themselves whether to participate or not is anything but random .. hence, no legitimate conclusions can be drawn from the results .. garbage in garbage out .. i participate just cuz im bored & its something 2 do .. i dont even care about seeing the results cuz they dont mean anything

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

it doesnt matter anyway .. self-selected participation in surveys assures that the surveys have no statistical validity .. Jeanne

THIS. End of discussion and the reason all "online surveys" with open entry are completely useless (in fact, worse than useless).

jwenting wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

it doesnt matter anyway .. self-selected participation in surveys assures that the surveys have no statistical validity .. Jeanne

THIS. End of discussion and the reason all "online surveys" with open entry are completely useless (in fact, worse than useless).

:catwink: jwenting

which makes me wonder if any of these survey posters who claim to be doing it for school really are .. or is it that professors in social 'sciences' depts are completely ignorant of stats? who knows ??

Boellstorff in his SL book says that he used surveys but then didnt do any stats on the replies .. i wasnt sure what the point was then .. if you cant do stats on your results then it isnt even data so why bother? i usually reply to surveys just cuz .. even tho doing so is an utter waste of time (or worse, as you say.....) ..

Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of the games that women play romantic games with classic elements that define femininity and masculinity? I don't think so. I'm not really on board with the whole classic elements of women and men in general so I don't tend to play games that reflect those romantic gender roles. 
How do females evaluate guys/gals in the gaming environs? Well, I personally think that guys can be serious jerks when gaming. I like to play with mostly females, otherwise I keep my gender to myself when I can.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.