Deploys for the week of 2012-04-09

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We were going to promote the Threaded Region Crossing code to main channel this week but ran into some issues with it while readying it for promotion. We are instead promoting the maint-server that was on BlueSteel and LeTigre. We will however only enable the new fly limits on the RC channels. This will give some time for people to get used to them.

There was some confusion in the communications this week and I apologize. I have attempted to clear that up below. We had intended to modify the unassisted avatar fly height for RC regions only (not the parcel ban height) using a new config change delivery method but are unable to do that this week. We wanted to give people with fly assist tools the ability to check their behaviour on RC regions. We will do that next week instead.

Second Life Server (main channel)
This is a "maint-server" project.
  • The explicit ban height for parcels is being raised to 5000m. This means that avatars that are explicitly banned from a parcel can not enter them unless they are at least 5000m above ground. This allows high-altitude fly-overs as before, but they must be done at a much higher altitude.
  • Bug Fixes
    • SCR-6 "llGetSubString can produce results that crash Mono scripts"
    • SCR-281 "recent release to agni (12.02.06.248938 I think) breaks llDeleteSubstring behaviour."
    • Removed old unused server code.
    • Fixed several server crash modes.

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This is the same code as main channel. 
  • The explicit ban height for parcels is at 5000m.
  • Fly height is unchanged.

Second Life RC LeTigre

Second Life RC Magnum

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar Linden wrote:

Second Life RC Magnum
This is the same code as main channel with the new 
fly limits ENABLED

Can you speak a bit more to this? I'm suresure what is meant by this. Will we be able to fly >4096m? Will we not be stuck using flight feathers to get over ±150m? Or is this something else?

Oskar Linden wrote:

This is something else. This is moving the ban height for parcels to 5000 meters. This doesn't affect the fly height of unassisted avatars. We are working on a change for that behaviour as well, but it isn't ready yet.

__Oskar

Ah, okay. Makes sense to me now that it's morning and I'm awake again. Thanks. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Avatar flight can exceed 5000m, though you need a flight feather or equivalent.

Physical vehicles are still limited to 4096m 

It appears that this is driven by a long-running JIRA in which a vocal minority has been complaining about Griefers being able to enter a parcel at high altitude and create abusive objects. If that is the reason, I am wondering why Abuse Reports don't get such people booted out of SL. But that can be circumvented by creating a new accoiuntm just as these banlines can be,

I am doubtful about this motive, and the actual effect this change would have, but it is the only reason I have seen put forward. I think there needs to be some better official explanation and announcement of the change.

Triple Peccable wrote:

There is nothing new to roll to those RCs. They are running the same code as BlueSteel was last week, and they are going to keep that code.

The only difference is they are going to enable the 5000m fly limit for explicitly banned avatars, which does not require a rolling restart.

Exactly what Triple said.

__Oskar

@Triple and Oskar

I'd be happy with that situation, were it not that the Grid Status Page states that Magnum RC WILL get a restart, and yet it is in exactly the same situation as Bluesteel and LeTigre.

All that is required is an explanation of what's so special about Magnum, or (pigs might fly) some consistency between RCs.

Edit: OK I'm ignorant, Magnum code was different.  I really should do more research!:smileyembarrassed:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.