I received an email from SL

Juliadavi1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

Be VERY suspicious.  There have been many phishing scams recently, so it would be easy to fall for one and give away access to your account. 

EDIT:  This is a new scam, going around just within the past 24 hours.  If you are lucky, all that will happen if you respind is that you'll get buried in spam.  If you have replied and have given any of your account information, go to your dashboard at secondlife.com and change your password IMMEDIATELY.

• Like 1

Almost undoubtaly NOT legit. I have never had Linden Labs ask me anthing in over four years. And why would the place to "confirm" be up at 3000 feet rather than on "official Linden Land"? And why would they pay you? 

NEVER GIVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT TO ANYONE.

Way too many schemes going around lately and lots of accounts being hacked.

• Like 2

Juliadavi1 wrote:

IS THIS LEGITIMATE The object 'Second Life' has sent you a message from Second Life:

Happy Holidays Everyone! Get 1000L just for signing up here and confirming your email --> 

= Second Life is owned by FirestormRelease Resident

Dead giveaway is "The object 'Second Life'..." and "Second Life is owned by...," the latter also gives you a pretty firm idea who you should go report when you log in.

• Like 1

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Julia

You did right to bring this question here - it will help other residents to be more aware of this latest scam.

As well as all the other great answers, if you ever want to see what is on offer by Second Life officially, it is always wise to check your dashboard daily, by clicking on the Second Life icon at the top of this screen, and also you can look in the "Blog" tab above, and keep your eye on the Forums too.

Second Life occasionally run contests that will pay Linden dollars (ie at the beginning of this year they ran this one ...   http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Inworld/Announcing-the-New-Year-New-You-Image-Contest/bc-p/1331053#M2671 , but it is rare that they will send out emails.  

• Like 1

One way to tell it's a scam is the URL.  Your screenshot only gives a partial, http://bit...  That is NOT a legitimate Linden Lab website.  On the other hand, they've used a clever disguise, shortening the URL by using the TinyURL service (which is legitimate, and LL often uses it to display short links on the login screen.)

But if you click it, the URL it takes you to does NOT say "https://id.secondlife.com...."  which is the correct URL for an SL website login page.  DO NOT enter any information, it's a scam to steal your login information and your account.

I got the same email, only because I have my IMs set to send me an email. I went in-world and it was an object named "Second Life" that sent me the message in local chat. So, where is this object? Is it on my land somewhere? How was it able to contact me in local chat? Do I need to find and delete this object?

thanks.

Any object can send you a message in local chat. There's no magic in that. This particular one isn't just ONE. It's many, scattered all over SL, although probably not on your own land unless you were silly enough to give Everyone permission to rez things there. These objects are on public land -- sandboxes and similar spots. You can't delete something that belongs to another person unless it's on your own land. If you find one, though, you can certainly submit an AR so that Lindens can remove it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.