Sign in to follow this  
Shayna Korobase

Blender 2.62 Questions on vertices

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello everyone,

I have been using Blender 2.61 for a while and enjoy it very much. I recently updated to 2.62 and so far like it alot. I do have a question about lowering poly counts and vertices. I heard (maybe I'm imagining it) there is a script or something in blender 2.62 that when used can help lower the count while keeping the integrity/quality of the mesh. is this true and where is it? I have a few pretty high poly meshes I would love to bring in to SL but don't want my land impact to go through the roof. LOL

Thanks,

Shayna Korobase ♥♡♥♡♥

Nothing beats careful removal of edgeloops by hand or retopology for optimizing your dense meshes to import into SL, but there is the Decimation modifier.  The version of this modifier in 2.62 (as I understand it) does not preserve the integrity of your UV's however, but I believe version 2.49 has a script that does work well with UV's so you might want to explore that earlier version.

When you decimate you convert your geometry to triangles which can seem somewhat random and not ideal for things you might animate.  With the decimation modifier, select a percentage of the density you want to preserve and the geometry reduces.  As a start you might check out this youtube video or search for others with the term "decimate" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4X2puDf85Q

Edited to add the missing word "not"  as in "NOT ideal for things you might animate"

Shayna Korobase wrote:

hello everyone,

I have been using Blender 2.61 for a while and enjoy it very much. I recently updated to 2.62 and so far like it alot. I do have a question about lowering poly counts and vertices. I heard (maybe I'm imagining it) there is a script or something in blender 2.62 that when used can help lower the count while keeping the integrity/quality of the mesh. is this true and where is it? I have a few pretty high poly meshes I would love to bring in to SL but don't want my land impact to go through the roof. LOL

Thanks,

Shayna Korobase ♥♡♥♡♥

As Nacy pointed out, for the best results, you'll probably want to do this process by hand and skip automated solutions, especially if you will make anything that needs to be rigged/skinned (i.e.: clothing, avatars, etc). 

Depending on how poly heavy your item is, you have a couple of good options for reducing the poly count: removing edge loops or retopology. To remove edge loops, you simply Alt right click an edge loop to select it. Then, hit the "X" hotkey and chose to delete "edge loops". You would go through the model by hand deleting unnecessary loops one by one. (Note: In the Blender version that will be coming out next, you can delete multiple edge loops at once.) This method is better suited for situations where you might have modeled a high LOD model (that already has good topology) and want to reduce it for other LODs.

If you are working with a super dense model, you may want to opt for retopology instead. By super dense, I mean a model with millions of polygons that was created during high polygon sculpting in Blender or Zbrush. There was just a thread made about retopolgy in the new Blender: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Video-Tutorial-on-Retopology-in-Blender/m-p/1473631/highlight/true#M13278

Also, here are some other resources on topology and retopology:

Now, in Blender 2.49, there was a script called "Poly Reducer" that could be found in Edit Mode under Mesh -> Scripts on the header bar. Unlike the Decimate modifier, it preserved the UVmapping. However, it doesn't always do a great job of preserving the forms. As far as I know, the Poly Reducer script isn't in the latest version of the program.

You wrote:

(Note: In the Blender version that will be coming out next, you can delete multiple edge loops at once.)

...and I cried with joy.  Yipeee!  Multiple edgeloop delete!

When retopo'ing a mesh keeping track of loops is complex. If one does not know they have to manage loops, by the time it is important it is too late to easily fix the problems.

However, in Blender 2.62 there is a new modifier named REMESH that ... you guessed it, remeshes things. Depending on how badly loops are scrambled it does a reasonable job.

The video Asha links to is excellent. (

) The instructor talks and goes so fast I had to spend some time figuring out what he was doing. I sorted it out and explained it here: #SL Blender Clothes Retopology

The video is made by ralusek. Look at his other videos. He lasers what he is saying. I often can go to sleep watching tutorial videos and tend to pull my hair out when they mess up and ramble while they redo something. This doesn't happen with his videos.

Asha linked to a tutorial showing the bsurfaces modifier, that seems to be in development still - http://www.bsurfaces.info/ - which looks like it will help a lot.

As have been suggested, it is possible to reduce the poly count by deleting edge loops. It is also possible to create a new model on top of a high poly one using snap to surface (or is it face?). I've done this a couple of times myself with pretty good results. (I find it best to disable any subsurf modifier on the high poly model while doing this...) I have seen a tutorial showing this on Blendercookie some time ago, but I couldn't find it back now.

- Luc -

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

You wrote:

(Note: In the Blender version that will be coming out next, you can delete multiple edge loops at once.)

...and I cried with joy.  Yipeee!  Multiple edgeloop delete!

I cried for joy and did a jig when I saw multiple edge loop deletion. It is something I have wanted *so* badly. Seriously, it will shave a decent amount of time off my workflow.

@Nal: I haven't played with Remesh since it came to the program officially. I remember that when I tried it before it came out live it didn't do that great of a job of maintaining edge flow. I'll have to give it another look now if it does a better job.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.