Cache question?

slabberman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks,

1 Am I right in thinking that yoru SL cache only contains the images and graphics of the SL worlds or does it contain info about the avators present and other things when the cache for that particular world is created?

2 Are flash movies that are played in the SL worlds saved to the hard drive?

Thank you very much for the info.

Slabberman

The cache mainly contains textures, sounds and animations downloaded from SL as you encounter them and pushing-out/overwriting things you haven't seen recently.  The point is that they are ready to play/display again without having to be sent all over the internet once more.  Although some date about the shape/position/rotaton of objects present may be stored by the application this and avatar information are much too fast-changing to be worth holding.

Movies and music streams are not played "in the SL" - SL passes the internet address of the movie to your computer and it is then played as a separate conversation between your computer and whichever server holds the movie/sound stream.

[i have no idea what you mean by "that particular world is created" and "in the SL worlds" - The SL main grid (Agni) is one, continuous (if not contiguous) and ever-changing 'world'.  True, the other grids (such as beta-test Aditi) are different 'worlds' but then they aren't 'SL' is that sense.]

#1 - Partially right... but no. There is way more than just the image files. The new cache is an indexed cache and has been since they increased the cache size up to 10gb. The cache indexes, compressed textures, and raw mesh, and sculpty maps are are in the cache folders in Local.

Also, the viewer uses more than one cache. The cache most of think of is in Local. But, the viewer settings, logs, and chat caches/logs are in Roaming.

Flash and other media files are saved into the Webkit cache, which for SL is in Roaming. But, I'm not into what is happening with Webkit and I use an exteranl browser. So, I may be mistaken. But, a number of the windows or panels like Profiles use Webkit regardless of which browser you have set to use.

There are also sounds cached in the cache in Local. Several viewers save the sounds to a separate cache.

I think some temp files get poked into the Windows temp folders.

Now that we have 10gb caches, a cache clear is now a last resort fix to common problems. Also, the change from SL's previous use of UDP downloading to HTTP protocol has made file corruption much less likely.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.