Updated firestorm now everything is so slow. So i switched to phoenix. Same problem. Whats the deal?

Caspian Pexington

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My voice wasn't working on my firestorm. So I did the firestorm update. Not only does my voice still not work but now everything takes forever to load and some stuff doesn't even load. It's like im using a desktop computer from the 90s or something instead of my pretty decent laptop. So I changed to phoenix instead, same problem. What is the point of the updates if they are worse than the original? Why is everything taking so long to load or not loading at all. It's ridiculous.

Thanks Marigold. I updated firestorm and fixed my graphics now it loads quickly. Still no voice however and I did everything you told me to do Nyll. Didn't work. I have also gone to voice echo canyon and that fixes my voice temporarily until I log off and then I lose voice and then I have to do it all over again. My guy is having the same problem but he uses phoenix. What else should I try?

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Caspian.

You really shouldn't be having such problems just for downloading a new version of a particular viewer.  Check that your graphics drivers are up to date, and then have a look in "preferences" when you're logged in and see what graphics level it's set at; maybe the default settings of the latest versions of viewers are not quite as you normally have them.

Other answers will follow, so please keep checking back.

And if you wish to add more information to this thread, please do so by clicking on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit".

• Like 1

For Firestorm issues you're best going to the Phoenix website as they created the Firsetorm viewer. However, for starters, I suggest you uninstall Firestorm including removal of the hidden folders in AppData, then download a fresh copy and install again. Procedure below (substitute Firestorm for SecondLife). Make sure your firewall is not blocking SLVoice...you may see a requester pop up asking whether to allow it or not when installing.

Uninstall normally then manually remove the hidden Second Life folders in AppData.

Enable Hidden Files & Folders:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open “Folder Options”
3) Open the “View” tab
4) Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press OK and close control panel.

Accessing AppData:

Browse to the path below that corresponds to your operating system:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\

Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ 

Inside the AppData folder:

1) Open the Local folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

2) Go back one level to the AppData folder.

3) Open the Roaming folder and delete the entire Second Life folder. If you wish to save existing chat files you've had with other avatars, move the Roaming > [avatar name] folder elsewhere on your computer and drag any chat text files you wish to retain into the new Roaming > [avatar name] folder once Second Life is reinstalled and you've logged in at least once. Ignore if you don't want to save any.

4) Restart your computer.

Now download a fresh copy of Second Life and install it.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.