How do I go into the world?

lilly1051

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, lilly1051

If you scroll down to the bottom of this screen, you will see the option to "Download Second Life".  Click on that option and download the version suitable for your computer.

While Second Life is downloading the software to your computer, please keep looking at the screen, because information will be given at each step of the way.

Once Second Life has finished downloading to your computer, there will be an icon on your desktop for you to click on when you are ready to enter Second Life, but for the first time, you will be asked the question "Start Second Life Now?"  Click yes/ok.

The first time the Second Life login screen comes up, you will be asked to read and agree to the Terms of Service. I suggest you do read these before you agree to them. It contains valuable information.

And then you are ready to enter Second Life.  You will arrive inworld at an orientation island, and taken through some very basic steps.  Please take your time going through this tutorial.  At the end of the tutorial, you will be given ideas of where to go next.

Good luck and welcome to a whole new world!

NB: Edited - my information was a little out-of-date. Please, therefore, disregard the paragraph that I have amended to be in pale blue.

• Like 1

Marigold said: "And then you are ready to enter Second Life.  You will arrive inworld at an orientation island, and taken through some very basic steps.  Please take your time going through this tutorial.  At the end of the tutorial, you will be given ideas of where to go next.".

No, sadly. Actually the first island is "Destination Island" WITHOUT any tutorial, only doors about "socialize" (teleport to NCI), "music", "art"... See http://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/new-destination-islands-added-to-the-new-user-experience/ And see last comments to the KB article I linked in my previous post.

Sometimes I don't understand LL

(edit for typos, as always)

• Like 1

Irene is correct about going first to "Destination Island".  There is nothing special to do or see there, but I recommend you spend a little time there exploring your user interface.  Especially see the "How To" button to learn a bit about how to move your avatar and talk to others. 

When you feel ready to leave, you can walk through one of the doors to be sent to a random Destination within the door's general category.  Or if you want to go to a specific place, choose World/Destinations from the top menu and select a location from the many that are listed there.

Or you can use Search (the magnifying glass icon button, or the Search entry space in the top menu bar) to look for other places to visit.

I recommend first going to a place where you can learn more about Second Life.  Two of my favorites are Caledon Oxbridge University and White Tiger Help Island.  They have self paced tutorials, and live helpers to talk to if you have questions.

• Like 2

Thank you Irene, Lindal (and Daniel - he is always most ahead in the newest features/changes to Second Life).

I have just created a new avatar to test what happens now when you log into Second Life for the first time.

I did indeed arrive at a Destination Island sim, and was surrounded by other confused people and a selection of portals with footsteps leading up to them.  I chose the portal that would lead me to "Popular Places" and was rather startled when my screen went black and a sudden loud noise whooshed into my room - of course I knew this to be the teleportation, but as a brand newbie, I would have thought my computer was having some sort of fit!!

I arrived at the popular place, a romantic meeting area, whereupon I was overwhelmed with lag, and a ton of boxes that dropped onto my screen - landmarks, instructions, questions (ie, would I like my profile photo to be displayed on the greeter board?).  It was all very overwhelming really.

To the original poster, lilly1051, I would strongly advise you to read through the basic information given in the Quick Guide ... http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919?lang=en-US   before you go anywhere in world.  Take your time, that is key.

• Like 1

By now, I hope that lilly1051 is settling herself in Second Life, and finding plenty of people to chat to.

Just in case she, or anyone else trying Second Life for the first time, is a little bit lost, there is something very like the original tutorial, that used to be at the first point a new person logged in at, if you click on this link.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Welcome%20Island%20Public6/47/167/23

Chat 1.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.