Sign in to follow this  
PromisingBoy

collapse of frame rate

HI,

I'm still having this problem of frame rates collapsing after a while. It is quite possibly related to the graphics subsystem as a whole and not the viewers as such. However, the only known (to me) way to trigger it is via the SL viewers.

Hardware: core i7 860, Palit GTX 560 Ti with 1GB video RAM, 8 GB system RAM
Software: Slackware 64 current (with 32 bit support and libraries), Kernel 3.3.1-ck1, Xorg 1.9.5, nvidia driver 295.33, Twinview

When the problem hits the frame rate drops from over 20 to under 3, getting progressively worse and affecting the whole desktop (not just SL).  I can "reset" it by toggling window manager compositing. But after a short while the problem returns.

It occurs with every viewer I've tried (SL, firestorm, last 6 versions) and all driver and kernel versions I've tried. With or without twinview or full screen. gpu temperature appears normal. cpu scheduling is healthy. The figures in CTRL-SHIFT-1 appear sane to me (just slow).

Relaxing the rendering settings (shaders, avatars, textures etc.) helps to push the boundary, but eventually the problem will always hit.

If this rings a bell with someone, please let me know. ;) Or can you suggest how I can investigate further? If I find a reliable trigger I can give nvidia support something to go by.

Thanks.

Two suggestions:

1: Try a non-Mesh viewer, such as an old version of Phoenix. There was, alas, a whole bunch of graphics problems which  erupted at the time the first non-beta Mesh viewers came out.

2: Try Cool VL Viewer. For a long while it was faster than any other Mesh-capable viewers. I've a suspicion that some of the speed difference I saw was down to my OS, and since I upgraded I haven't seen the same speed difference, but that all suggests to me that the code is different enough you might get different results.

I gather that there are some big differences in the code used associated with the Atmospheric Shaders toggle.

Try attending a couple of the Open Source meetings and meet some of the TPV Dev's. They may be able to help you.

Also, look through the various Linden Lab open source projects. There are a number of Project viewers one doesn't hear about in day to day life in SL. 

Check out the current Dev Viewer: http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/hg/repo/integration_viewer-development/latest.html See if the problem is corrected in that viewer.

The Dev Viewer is a pre-beta version and will have bugs and I think debug code that slows it down. But it will give you a hint at what is coming and what's fixed.

You can search the repository for more project viewers.

thanks for your hints.

I have been experimenting, and while not completely down to the bottom of this, I can share some of my findings for future reference:

1. Window manager compositing should be switched off. Without it, the frame rate drop will be later and less severe.
  2. The effect seems to be tied to exhausting the video memory (which can be monitored via nvidia-smi).
  3. SL Viewer is more conservative with video memory and much less affected by the issue as soon as compositing is switched off. (I may be mistaken, but it appears that the same graphics settings in the preferences dialog have a different effect in both viewers.)
  4. When it happens in firestorm (usually in sims with lots of textures and avatars) I switch off atmospheric shaders and frame rates will be fine.

I'm seeing something like this as well. After a while, my usually-decent framerate drops to below 2. If I ride it out (for several minutes), it *may* recover somewhat, but not all the way to previous levels.

It can even hit the general performance of other programs (sound stuttering in a media player, for example), but that is not consistent.

I am pretty sure it's an issue with one of the later viewer versions, somewhere in the 3.5 line; it started happening without any other changes to my configuration.

I too am on nVidia (a Quadro 3000M), but on Win7. I'll see if I can coax some diagnostics out of the graphics driver.

ETA: Ok, I just realized I totally necro'ed this thread. I checked the date and saw "April; that sounds around the time it started for me", and for some reason didn't see the *year*.