Running multiple Viewers has become more accessible thanks to an easy checkbox in Viewer 2.4 Beta.
If you run multiple Viewers (what are the official Viewers?) — for example, you prefer building in 1.23 but want 2.3's communication enhancements, and are also testing the Mesh project viewer — certain aspects can conflict, especially if you're running them at the same time.
For example, each Viewer refers to a cache folder which stores info about inventory, textures, sounds, and other previously-accessed data for quicker retrieval. Having a bunch of Viewers using the same cache folder is like a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos™* — they clash for resources OM NOM NOM and oddities like perceived inventory loss (never fun) and corrupt textures (that sucks too) may result.
However, you can change your cache location for each Viewer.
- On the Viewer's login screen, choose Me menu > Preferences. (In Viewer 1.23, it's Edit menu > Preferences.)
- In the PREFERENCES window, click Setup tab. (In Viewer 1.23, it's Network tab.)
- Click the Browse button. (In Viewer 1.23, it's the Set button.)
- Use the file browser to choose a different folder, or create a new one. Then choose it.
- Quit the Viewer (as changes won't happen until you restart it), then repeat the above for each Viewer.
Thanks to cheery Sylvan Mole of our Linden Department of Public Works for suggesting this tip!
What tips do you have for using multiple Viewers?
* The hippo analogy is even more funny when you realize hippos are SL's unofficial mascot.