(Pictured: Isle of Pandasia)
The news can be a little scary as of late, and when you’re cooped up inside it’s easy to get stuck in a loop of not-so-positive thoughts. In fact, our brains are wired to remember negative experiences more easily than moments of kindness. However, it is absolutely possible to change your mental habits to make your day to day more fulfilling, and not just by watching videos of dog dancing competitions. Although there’s nothing wrong with that.
An important step in this process is mindfulness. The act of being truly present and appreciating the moment has appeared in many belief systems, both religious and secular. No matter what school of thought guides you, we all have beating hearts that get tired from working overtime due to stress. Meditation has been proven to reduce anxiety and even improve your physical health.
It’s important to take care of yourself, not just for your benefit, but also so you can be around the people important to you for as long as possible.
If you’d like to take a moment to be still in nature or quietly contemplate, there are many soothing locations in Second Life for a virtual meditation session. We hope these places can help you feel free from worry.
- Chinook Rockies 3SL: A mountainous region dappled with lush patches of trees and waterfalls to help you take some deep breaths.
- Isle of Pandasia: This surreal cluster of small, mossy islands is a great place to admire birds, lily pads, and glittering rock bridges. You might even see a giant floating fish!
- Botanical: For the avatars with green thumbs, Botanical is a great place to take a peaceful walk surrounded by a variety of plants or get ideas to cultivate the garden of your virtual world dreams.
- Star Journey: If you’d like to take your “me time” with a side of cosmic splendor, this stunning collection of sky galleries is truly otherworldly.
- Saddles Art Gallery & Ballroom: Take a stroll through this enchanting garden adorned with artwork that is complemented by the sound of wind chimes and birdsong.