SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

On 8/12/2022 at 3:37 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

You sound like a strong young fellow.

I understand you've bumped your head countless times. My comment is one I make often, everywhere and nowhere. I wonder who are all those people who make decisions for others. And can we join the conversation? Participation? Apparently that's not the intention, I can see that, I'm not blind. No, I'm not young enough to go through this life as an activist...

I do pay a little under 500 USD to LindenLab every month, without earning a cent back. If everyone did that, the strait I envision should not be a problem.

Thanks for the history lesson.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike McGregor said:

I understand you've bumped your head countless times. My comment is one I make often, everywhere and nowhere. I wonder who are all those people who make decisions for others. And can we join the conversation? Participation? Apparently that's not the intention, I can see that, I'm not blind. No, I'm not young enough to go through this life as an activist...

I do pay a little under 500 USD to LindenLab every month, without earning a cent back. If everyone did that, the strait I envision should not be a problem.

Thanks for the history lesson.

I think it would actually work in reverse of what you say, but it's theoretical anyway.

22 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

If private parcel owners were able to cooperate and had set their land to allow for a pathway along the coast for travelers there wouldn't have been a need to bypass that area in the first place. They could have done that already when Bellisseria was connected to the mainland the south and they still can. They haven't done that because there is no guarantee that any one person along that route could not shut off access at any moment. Simply having a vestigial strip of protected coastline does not warrant adding 4, 2, or even one region at that location for the same reason. Sadly, such a connection would most likely only ever benefit the owners of the land directly bordering that region and them alone. 

Everyone along that edge can still can have open access to the water to the south if they can all agree, and there is nothing stopping you from approaching them to see if they are open to coming to a mutually beneficial agreement to do so.  I wish you luck with that because all it takes is one person to say no.

Private parcel owners have the responsibility to cooperate and set their land to allow for a public pathway along the coast for travelers?  No, I don't think so.  It's a lovely idea but people paying tier for their own land aren't all going to be cool with leaving a water passage for public travel through their property.  This is a next to impossible ask... I agree with Mike here, many people can be unresponsive and even the best advocate/activist for this idea, to hopefully sail unencumbered south just to sail north again, is a lesson in frustration.

The northern west coast of Santori, meaning sims that already have northern ocean access to the Blake Sea north, and all the sims connected to the Blake Sea, are going to massively benefit from being able to have an ocean route to the south. The land prices there are high already and after a southern water connection through Bellisseria they will go up even more.  Don't exclude the southwestern Santori folks because you think they will get a windfall if they sell their land or because you think they are too selfish to donate water easement through their private parcels.  Everyone benefits from a new water route between the new SSPs and the southern west coast of Santori.  I'm hoping in the future that there will be a water passage of pure ocean water between the new SSPs and Southwest Santori all the way north/south.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike McGregor said:

Indeed and so it is! I did investigate this option. Imposible :(

You know Abnor, and you know that, there are people in SL who automatically pay their Premium Membership every year and own a 1024m2 free plot. But they never log in. Try to reach them? Sorry that won't work.

And there are people on the coast there between 3 high walls and a lovely see view. There land is made privat. And you think starting a conversation about making a passage :), Naah. 

There are also people who have their land blocked from entry and yet have off-sim obstructions hanging over onto Linden land or water.

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The powers-that-be will always take advantage of the atomization and fractiousness of civil society to prevail, and can always count on the factions not getting along, or people being indifferent, or one person blocking everyone else to give himself a sense of power in a powerless world.

So there's only one thing to do, behave "as if" you already had this civil society and build it out. Eventually it becomes a fait accompli. There are all kinds of methods you could use, in and out of SL, to try to get those coastal blockers to come around -- maybe it's worth IMing them all? but that's not really the way to do it. The way to do it is to get so many sailors in a lobbying group that concertedly requests this that the endless invocation of the need to herd other cats eventually gets dropped. After all, there were quite a few merchants who wanted the telehubs to remain, but the Lindens listened to mainly oldbies who wanted them to be eliminated, demolishing the hubs and buying back mall land purchased around them.

Of course, precedents don't have much weight in a land with no independent judiciary etc but still. 

It seems to me that the sailors of SL have been accommodated more than any other group. They got the Blake Sea, first as Linden seas kept clear but ultimately involving adjacent land which they converted into the highest value real estate of the grid. Time and again, sailing routes are created and the continents in fact have been hooked up here and there. There are a zillion house boats and stilts and waterways. Aren't there enough sailing routes already? Does everybody *really* have to sail to Bellisseria all the time?

Looks like this latest SSP is in fact accommodating the airplane lobby and what looked like pristine sand bars now have been ruined by air strips.

Damn, Prok. I agreed with you up until that last line. 

You know yourself that there is nothing pristine about SL land. It's all created textures and prims. The only pristine part of SL is the open water surface and the empty sky. We don't even know if there will be 2 airstrips or only 1 when the Moles are done with that hill, but we can expect it will be nicely landscaped.

Why do you have to hate on sailors and air vehicle flyers when their "lobby" as you call it opens up lanes of movement for all of us? You talk about people needing to work together, but then you stir up division yourself.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

Can't agree @Prokofy Neva.  We are all in here for a specific reason, whether it be sailing, rental RE, etc.  Myself, it's landscaping & design.  None of us want limitations. 

It's not that the Lindens' failure to connect continents is a "restriction" or "limitation," it's a *lack of indulgence*. Difference. 

• Thanks 1

I had no idea one could see across  no-region gaps until Daniel posted his photo. I tried it and it worked for me too (in Firestorm). If you start on one side and look, you can't see across, but if you then go to the other side and look, you can see where you came from.

two views.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 8

Btw, all the regions named SSPnnnn up in the original SSP area - which were "offline" a day or so ago - are now "loading".  That is to say, they are no longer on the grid.  That's a lot of regions!

They've cleared out all but a few uniquely named regions.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

@diamond MarchantThat's a very old trick and nothing new. And it's temporary, works in all viewers and lasts only for a short time before your graphics memory cache updates.

Go and try it at the island sim Hanshin (in Jeogeot) and at Cuppa (in Fantasseria) too. They are two sim regions on two different continents, but although they are very close neighbours, they cannot directly view each other, due to their relative positioning diagonally at corners to each other.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Btw, all the regions named SSPnnnn up in the original SSP area - which were "offline" a day or so ago - are now "loading".  That is to say, they are no longer on the grid.  That's a lot of regions!

They've cleared out all but a few uniquely named regions.

Are these the only SSP regions under development still online?  Looks like Newbrook regions.

291046819_SSPD1D2D3D4_001.thumb.jpg.632f8ddbfa41017b9314b2588812fd5f.jpg

• Like 1

690843264_SeaChannelCrossing15Aug2022.thumb.jpg.73e308607fe22254d6467074cc0aa0c8.jpg

I was going to keep the new connection a secret until it showed up on the SL map, but apparently the cat is already out of the bag now....

I would like to announce that I have already made my first ever sea crossing from the west central coast of Satori (at Stromberg) into Bellisseria (at SSPTiedown Inlet), using two new sea regions called SSPDeep Anchor and SSPSteady On, which link the two continents together.

This crossing took place on Monday 15th August 2022 between 10:24 SLT (Stromberg) and 10:26 SLT (SSPTiedown Inlet), then I turned back through the new sea channel and arrived back in Stromberg at 10:28 SLT.

2013335603_Stromberg15Aug2022.thumb.jpg.698ba0be0f864224b80f214f1482d5e2.jpg

I had witnesses, max Lemur, Lloyd Overland and Abnor Mole, all who saw me turn around after entering Bellisseria and then going back to Stromberg.

As I write this right now, I am still sailing, and about to become the first person to in SL to sail non-stop from Bellisseria to the Blake Sea!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

BELLISSERIA to BLAKE SEA - COMPLETED BY SEA!

I would like to claim the honour of being the first ever person in SL to sail non-stop from Bellisseria to the Blake Sea - Crows Nest (arriving at the Fastnet Lighthouse)

15th August 2022 Chat Log:

1418237961_SSPSteadyOn15Aug2022.thumb.jpg.8322a06eb17293a83e820e93785ddaf3.jpg

[11:48:00] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Start (SSPTiedown Inlet Bellisseria)

[11:49:48] SarahKB7 Koskinen: (Stromberg)

[12:16:43] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Bingo Strait (Weerson)

[12:17:41] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Bingo Strait (Rodel Lighthouse)

1901928459_BlakeSeaFastnetLighthouse15Aug2022.thumb.jpg.7ea10398bde5732f4e4841c2d693eaca.jpg

[12:39:38] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Blake Sea - Crowsnest (Fastnet Lighthouse)

Total voyage time: 51 minutes, 37 seconds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BLAKE SEA to SANSARA, via BELLISSERIA & JEOGEOT - ALL COMPLETED BY SEA!

I would also like to claim the honour of being the first ever person in SL to sail from the Blake Sea to Sansara continent, via Bellisseria and Jeogeot continents.

15th August 2022 (SLT) Chat log:

1171220631_BlakeSea15Aug2022.thumb.jpg.6a59a1f5f0fd88023d3aec5d74ec6c32.jpg

[13:00:00] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Start (Blake Sea Crows Nest (Fastnet Lighthouse))

[13:24:11] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Bingo Strait (Rodel Lighthouse)

[13:52:52] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Stromberg (West Satori)

690843264_SeaChannelCrossing15Aug2022.thumb.jpg.73e308607fe22254d6467074cc0aa0c8.jpg

^ [13:55:03] SarahKB7 Koskinen: SSPTiedown Inlet (Bellisseria Newbrooke)

[14:08:55] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Lavon (Bellisseria Chalet)

[14:20:14] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Brookside (Bellisseria Chalet)

[15:33:00] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Rigamarole (Bellisseria Log)

[16:03:27] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Yongnam (Jeogeot)

1144852245_PyriPeaks15Aug2022.thumb.jpg.43e1c8987a3f36b063374a7d3ab67b5b.jpg

^ [16:06:30] SarahKB7 Koskinen: North Forepaw (Pyri Peaks dock, Jeogeot)

1627487464_SSGalaxy16Aug2022.thumb.jpg.4d52df2c4eb37383b156d68eef0adc28.jpg

[16:27:34] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Galaxy FORWARD (SS Galaxy, Bellisseria)

*snack break*

[17:05:37] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Damiano (Bellisseria)

[17:07:46] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Norse Auk (Bellisseria)

[17:08:23] SarahKB7 Koskinen: One Way Dive (Bellisseria)

[17:09:07] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Rusted Hull (Bellisseria)

[17:10:00] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Grand Banks (SANSARA)

937563768_OsmiumSansara15Aug2022SLT.thumb.jpg.0aff018d1c229497917515b7c84a9e46.jpg

^ [17:11:00] SarahKB7 Koskinen: Osmium (SANSARA)

Total time: 4 hours, 11 minutes, 0 seconds ! :)

• Like 7