SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

Beachy Newbrookes with Stilt homes vegetation and Houseboats next to them?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! 👀

A daring mix. But I like it. I think Newbrookes and Houseboats have much the same color schemes. Dark roofs, flat roofs, dark wood trim. LL could have used the Newbrooke plants or the Houseboat plants, but instead they use the Stilt homes vegetation. The finished landscaping in Sea Cucumber looks good to me. The Newbrookes look fine in between palms.

I also like to see new houseboats connected to green islands, not only those sandy ones it is so many of.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Beachy Newbrookes with Stilt homes vegetation and Houseboats next to them?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! 👀

A daring mix. But I like it. I think Newbrookes and Houseboats have much the same color schemes. Dark roofs, flat roofs, dark wood trim. LL could have used the Newbrooke plants or the Houseboat plants, but instead they use the Stilt homes vegetation. The finished landscaping in Sea Cucumber looks good to me. The Newbrookes look fine in between palms.

I also like to see new houseboats connected to green islands, not only those sandy ones it is so many of.

There are also a few Stilt Homes near the Chalet Homes, with more of an alpine lake environment than a sandy beach one. Plants should follow the environment, and for the most part I think the LDPW understands this.

SSPE2253 - Aug 3_001.jpg

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Stilt Homes, not Houseboats, apparently
  • Like 6

Some of the newest regions now have green borders and houseboats in them. Do ya think LL is expecting people are going to be especially eager to get homes here? There are other regions that have had the red borders for months, but don't even have real names yet, so I'm guessing they don't feel quite as rushed to release those.  Either that or they just had a bunch of fun names for these and couldn't wait to name them.

353094653_SSPLostAtSea-Aug3_002.thumb.jpg.f74c7b2c0ff7ae0677047af28a914dfa.jpg

SSP Lost at Sea,  SSP I Sea U,  SSP Not Shore,  SSP No Rain,  SSP Beach Face, and  SSP Waffle Cone all have houseboats already!

Edited by Persephone Emerald
I left out 2 regions
  • Like 7

Plea for the best idea, which I expect/suspect is already in the making,...?

I really expect the Second Life Operations team to come up with better ideas for the huge new contignent Belisseria ect. accessible via roads, water and air. You have to think big about such planning.

Namely, the solution regarding the connections by air, water and road - which are currently not there along the entire West Coast on Satori (which will not be solved with the proposals placed above) - must be tackled in a much more structural way and I think the SL Operations team can only solve this with a wide two water sims waterway and one or two huge bridges between the new and the old land: between the continents

One can connect this new waterway in the South with Buffalo Springs and Carmine Sky. Then all the way up to Tuulikki and Atanua: there the connection with the old land has to end and from there you can continue your trip by boat or plane on the existing waterway, because from those sims the route is wide enough.

Actually, I am sure The SL Operating Team wil know how to follow the route with watersims,... In the South a complete fill of the gap with water sims and depending on how they place more North other (water) sims and take a good look at how all this can be solved halfway through Satori. As noted, I'm assuming a waterway that is at least two watersims wide! A new large open sea would then arise. In my view, such a new sea is very justified, if you have housed such gigantic numbers of people in an enormous new contignent and do not place normal infrastructural connections against it.

Moreover, in addition to the fact that on the west coast of Satori it is now not possible to fly and sail (or drive). I would like to say, there are people as well in that part of Satori, who currently lack all connections, and find it necessary to have those. They also pay their bills neatly to LindenLabs every month, they also want to fly or sail to the Blake Sea.

Just imagine what a huge improvement that will be and what new possibilities will arise. Such as for example inter-continental sailing and flying races. The essential connection to the Blake Sea, but also to the entire other ancient land, cannot be completed via the 10 meter wide ditch on the sim Lamashtu. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mike McGregor said:

Plea for the best idea, which I expect/suspect is already in the making,...?

I really expect the Second Life Operations team to come up with better ideas for the huge new contignent Belisseria ect. accessible via roads, water and air. You have to think big about such planning.

Namely, the solution regarding the connections by air, water and road - which are currently not there along the entire West Coast on Satori (which will not be solved with the proposals placed above) - must be tackled in a much more structural way and I think the SL Operations team can only solve this with a wide two water sims waterway and one or two huge bridges between the new and the old land: between the continents

One can connect this new waterway in the South with Buffalo Springs and Carmine Sky. Then all the way up to Tuulikki and Atanua: there the connection with the old land has to end and from there you can continue your trip by boat or plane on the existing waterway, because from those sims the route is wide enough.

Actually, I am sure The SL Operating Team wil know how to follow the route with watersims,... In the South a complete fill of the gap with water sims and depending on how they place more North other (water) sims and take a good look at how all this can be solved halfway through Satori. As noted, I'm assuming a waterway that is at least two watersims wide! A new large open sea would then arise. In my view, such a new sea is very justified, if you have housed such gigantic numbers of people in an enormous new contignent and do not place normal infrastructural connections against it.

Moreover, in addition to the fact that on the west coast of Satori it is now not possible to fly and sail (or drive). I would like to say, there are people as well in that part of Satori, who currently lack all connections, and find it necessary to have those. They also pay their bills neatly to LindenLabs every month, they also want to fly or sail to the Blake Sea.

Just imagine what a huge improvement that will be and what new possibilities will arise. Such as for example inter-continental sailing and flying races. The essential connection to the Blake Sea, but also to the entire other ancient land, cannot be completed via the 10 meter wide ditch on the sim Lamashtu. 

Thoroughly agree with you there Mike. Would be interesting to know at least if there are any further long term plans for additional water. Sailing can't be treated like a Linden railway line, seeing boats feebly struggle to keep to a track or squeeze along a tiny channel carved at the edge os a region. LL know that the lure of the water is big otherwise the explosion / demand of houseboats & Stilts would not have happened, or the myriad of rivers in some of the new land. There creation of Blake's Sea many years ago after the approach by the sailing community brought a whole new life to SL that still thrives to this day. Developing new, wider areas of sea would also take the pressure off the coastal areas of Blake where group purchase of land with Protected Water access for rental concerns is rife. There is another complication  as you touched on, which is the one of aviation. Due to banlines, insta blocks, the interior of mainland is a nightmare for flyers, therefore they prefer to fly along the Protected Waterways, understandably. However this also means airports are contructed along the coasts, generally between 50 & 100m high (so that owners can try to make some money with mooring rentals beneath). Unfortunately we don't know how much abandoned land there is in the interior but no doubt LL have land management maps they can easily refer to - but if there is a general glut of dormant land in there, could there be a case for LL creating 'Air Corridors' across continents, the land over which they cross be subject to a build covenant (height restrictions, less Li, No Ban Lines etc) but then offered for sale at a reduced Tier. Yes, less tier revenue on the face of it but increased because in the long run there would be less abandoned land. Aviation Groups would see the practicalities of cheaper land (most of it tarmac & concrete) joined by guaranteed air routes. This may at last see some of the coastline revealed once more instead of buried under massive airports. (Just fly along the north shore of Satori and see how many airports stand at 60m along there with no coastline to be seen). I know this may seem at fist glance to be off topic but the creation of new Linden Home Regions should be done with a global picture - which I'm sure it is........ by the way has anyone seen that Evergreen container ship blocking the Belli ship canal? ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I disagree. New water sims north of Stromberg are not needed.

395570985_HMSDragonSatoriWestCoast8Aug2022.thumb.jpg.f782b532a5c04f0b06bb0d1c4b5c9c86.jpg

I was able to sail HMS Dragon (10m wide and 120m long) from Atanua southwards through the narrow protected water channel in Chloris and Atira to the new pier in Chiffre. And it was easy.

All you need to do is ride along the outer border edge of these sims at a low speed. As long as the root/physics prim of your vessel stays in the water channel, it's quite an easy manoeuvre.

Also, the wider water which lays between Satori proper and these coastal parcels is also fully navigable, although one parcel has a 45 second timer that will kick you home.

Using your minimap Property Lines filter to show parcel boundaries helps with navigation too.

2066786746_HMSDragonChiffrePier8Aug2022.thumb.jpg.423657de475b6ab6a135714c19e03f60.jpg

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Mike McGregor said:

I really like virtual sailing and up-wind you just need the space. I hope the Lindens read my plea and I hope they take into account essential amenities appropriate to the size of the world (read: Bellisseria) they've created.

Happy to have you aboard team "connect the continents". At present, most of us are looking for any connectivity of Linden protected waters and if that is a mere 10m channel on a region edge, so be it. We are but 6 regions from connecting Bellisseria to the Blake YaY! These things are coming in baby steps, but steps none the less.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Petros Aabye said:

by the way has anyone seen that Evergreen container ship blocking the Belli ship canal? ;)

ha ha I checked... all is well

btw, PBS Nova made an episode about it...  Why Ships Crash  quick take... wind blew the Evergreen toward the bank.  It speeded up to get more control but the hydrodynamics of increased speed and the shallow bank resulted in an effect of sucking the ship towards the bank. Ships that did not speed up did ok.

panamole canal_001.png

Edited by diamond Marchant
usual typos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I was able to sail HMS Dragon (10m wide and 120m long) from Atanua southwards through the narrow protected water channel in Chloris and Atira to the new pier in Chiffre.

Just to be very clear about Mike's point, you did not "sail" your Dragon through those channels.  You BOATED under power through those channels. 

If you are attempting to actually sail,  a10m wide waterway can be a nightmare of continuous tacking and jibing, something Abnor at least knows well.  But SL sailors who are not absolute purists have options:

1. Change the wind so you can run downwind for the entire channel. 

2.  Get a sailboat where you can drop sail and proceed under power if need be - I believe all the Bwind and Bandit boats can.  For verisimilitude, SL sailboats under power often have slower top speeds than actual power boats.

Having a rez zone at both ends of a multiregion narrow channel could help the situation, too - you could change to a speedboat until open water is available.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

If you are attempting to actually sail,  a10m wide waterway can be a nightmare of continuous tacking and jibing, something Abnor at least knows well.  But SL sailors who are not absolute purists have options:

Yes. In groups such as the Leeward Crusing Club, we actually enjoy venturing into channels. As you mention, we have the option of charting a course ahead of time, configuring navigation HUDs, and setting the wind so that using sails (rather than a motor) works. We also make it clear that sailors are free to use any wind speed/direction and/or a motor. Below is a sample chart.

LCC 2022-05-31..jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I disagree. New water sims north of Stromberg are not needed.

395570985_HMSDragonSatoriWestCoast8Aug2022.thumb.jpg.f782b532a5c04f0b06bb0d1c4b5c9c86.jpg

I was able to sail HMS Dragon (10m wide and 120m long) from Atanua southwards through the narrow protected water channel in Chloris and Atira to the new pier in Chiffre. And it was easy.

All you need to do is ride along the outer border edge of these sims at a low speed. As long as the root/physics prim of your vessel stays in the water channel, it's quite an easy manoeuvre.

Also, the wider water which lays between Satori proper and these coastal parcels is also fully navigable, although one parcel has a 45 second timer that will kick you home.

Using your minimap Property Lines filter to show parcel boundaries helps with navigation too.

2066786746_HMSDragonChiffrePier8Aug2022.thumb.jpg.423657de475b6ab6a135714c19e03f60.jpg

I do not call that sailing, as much as transportation from A to B.

Riding on a border edge is very restrictive, the boat is set on a track it can not move from. You can move away from the edge, but in reality you can't because it is no room over long distances.

That is how I am thinking. The point is to sail as long a distance as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

But SL sailors who are not absolute purists have options:

Thank you Nika,
With races a Race Director [RD] tells us how the wind blows and what the speed must be. And of course I never cheat. 

My plea is for the complete West Coast of Satori, Inclusieve from Imelza up to Stromberg. Those shoreline sims there are currently among the slums of Second Life. While it is so easy to solve that right away.

Edited by Mike McGregor
  • Haha 2

So you want a two region wide Satori coastal boat channel from Imelza up to Stromberg? This would be a total of 38 water sim regions.

Who pays for these 38 regions? They aren't "free" just because they're empty water spaces. They would need space on the AWS servers, all of which need to be paid for each day/week/month/year.

I also once had similar hopes for that same route, but "only" using 19 regions, which was ultimately rejected because I was told 19 new water regions would be too expensive.

And you want 38 of them, plus possibly an additional 11 more north of Stromberg too because you're too much of a "sailing purist" to ride along some sim border edges?! 🤣

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Through my own and other people's various Feature Request JIRA proposals to LL.

I think I would take your Jira response as a not now (back a year ago?) rather than a never type reply. 

I will be over the moon with a Stromberg connection and will happily use it for cruise routes, but I think Atanua still something to hope for. 

The 10m wide channel from Stromberg is very narrow and especially so on the corner. Reliably traversing the route depends on the goodwill of landowners especially on that corner. As a recent thread illustrated many would see no wrong buying that land up and effectively blocking it with security measures. No other intercontinental connection are so narrow.  A one region wide line of regions up to Atanua is a relatively modest proposal compared to the two region wide connections elsewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mike McGregor said:

My plea is for the complete West Coast of Satori, Inclusieve from Imelza up to Stromberg.

That is not needed by sailors as we already have a north/south route to Satori via new regions in Bellisseria.

Thought experiment... if stacks of protected open water regions were constructed there... what would actually happen?

1) Sailors would have a second north/south route.

2) Linden Lab would have additional expenses.

3) Coastal landowners in the newly connected regions would experience windfall profits.

Should Linden Lab have some extra regions, I would prioritize connecting Bellisseria to the East River in Sansara.

• Like 2

In an ideal virtual world where south-west Satori had a wider coastline, I would hope to see the respective parcel owners in these numerous regions being a lot more cooperative with each other and organising communal water space areas in each sim, creating harbours and boat channels to allow boats to sail in (and out) from the wider grid.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

The 10m wide channel from Stromberg is very narrow and especially so on the corner.

Here is a slightly revised map of the protected water path from Stromberg to Atanua, showing channel widths. There is a 90 degree corner in the SW corner of Eostre and a 90 degree corner in the NW corner of Chuginadak. We do depend on governance to keep these channels free from overhangs.

belli to satori connection rev B.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2