noob questions purchasing new avatar

malexander

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for an avatar/skin that isn't Rico Suave... found Entente:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Entente-Full-Avatar-Henri/3190053

Doesn't appear to be any demos. Question is, can I still modify aspects of these full avatars (spacing of body parts, facial parts, swap for other hair)... and do they allow clothing to be swapped for other clothing?

Being new to the SL world, thought I'd reach out rather than spend $2500 LD. I'd prefer to have customizations.

Not seeing a lot of other 'ordinary male' type avatars out there...

Thanks in advance.

Go to the store and see if there is a demo there.  I would not buy any of the things on this avatar if I could not see it as a demo first.  If there is no demo, it probably is not good quality since they don't want you to see it before they get their money.

Since this is not a mesh avatar you replace anything you'd like to replace.  However you can't modify any of the items that come with it.  You really need to have a modifiable shape so that you can tweak it here and there in order to wearmesh clothing.

Seriously though I would not buy a complete avatar.  You will look like everyone else that bought that.  All the elements can be purchased seperately at various shops so that you get the look you want and look unique. Individuality is highly prized by most people in SL.If you don't see what you like with a demo on MP look in inworld stores, because not all creators have their products on MP.   Google SL male fashion blogs.  You will see lots of examples of males like you want and they will tell you wear to obtain the things shown in their pictures.

Perhaps some of the men on this forum will give you suggestions for shops and blogs.

malexander wrote:

I'm looking for an avatar/skin that isn't Rico Suave... found Entente:

Doesn't appear to be any demos. Question is, can I still modify aspects of these full avatars (spacing of body parts, facial parts, swap for other hair)... and do they allow clothing to be swapped for other clothing?

Being new to the SL world, thought I'd reach out rather than spend $2500 LD. I'd prefer to have customizations.

Not seeing a lot of other 'ordinary male' type avatars out there...

Thanks in advance.

You can swap out part, but the av says its no modify, so the shape is what you are stuck with. Personally, I made my own shape, bought a skin and the rest. If you are set on buying a shape make sure it is Modifiable.

on the right hand side of the MP pages you will see a section called "Permissions" that tells you what you can do with the items.

Thanks Amethyst and Drake. That's exactly the advice I was looking for. I wasn't quite aware of the differences between skin, shape, avatar, etc. I have customized my generic avatar quite a bit. He's a smaller dude. :) I wonder if I can save the shape from it and just use it with a better skin.

Your own advice is probably your best advice.

Just shop for a good skin for the shape you made for yourself.

You already know you like that shape - so you're halfway there.

All the fancy mesh avatars, mesh clothes, fancy things - etc. I am a BIG proponant of them... BUT, I would say wait until you know SL enough that you can look at them and kind of tell just from looking which ones are quality that is right for you.

For now - ramp up slowly.

The threads here are full of too many people that bought something very expensive before they knew how to tell good things from junk things, or even things that are good but not really suited for their needs... and then express extreme frustration over wasted money. So its good you're asking these questions BEFORE you paid money. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.