mesh body?????

theunknope

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

okay i've done some research and looked around but i can't find anything to my liking. i like for my avatar to be close to how i look, and i am not a velumptious sensual looking person. i want a mesh body, but i want one that isn't too... sexy??? i don't think sexy is the word i want to use but it's the only one i can think of. i may self am not of the beautiful curvy goddess catagory of human beings, so something with smaller measurements would be great. i was thinking of getting the slink body, but it doesn't look quite right either. i admit i'm not at all a coding or creator person, so me being this extremely picky is not helping my situation.

i've looked at utilizator's avatar 2.0 and epicgordon's nauha avatar, but each come with some pretty big flaws that i can't stand. i'm more than likely just being too picky but could someone help me please find an avatar that i can finally use so i can stop using mesh bodies that just annoy me.

oh yeah, i've also though of maybe just getting mesh body parts. small boobs, butt, hands, and feet. i feel like having all those parts might become a hassle however, when fitting clothing onto my avatar.

so yeah. sorry i'm so picky.

There is at least one mesh body that I dismissed as not useful to me because it had too flat of a chest and no curves or hips.

It sounds like that would be the one you are seeking:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CMFF-Mbody-Fitted-Mesh-Avatar-DEMO/6065793

- Try it out. I found it even less curvy than the marketplace image suggests.

There is also the 'androgenous' body sold by vStrings in their fusion line - but the rest of their bodies have absurdly overdone curves, and I found this body had a form that was not appealing to me. But it might work for you.

Slink or Maitreya will probably be your best bet. Both are more athletic/slender. The advantage with the mesh body is the increase in polygons. It eliminates the pulling of the lady bits texture down the legs or up the back so it looks like you need a bath.

Big thing to look for is to be sure that if you don't get the Slink, that it is Omega applier compatible. That will allow you to use skins from any maker that does the Omega appliers if they don't do the specific body you use.

Maitreya and Slink have the best alpha layers you'll need to wear mesh clothing. Belleza layers are good as well, but the body is curvier.

I design applier friendly clothing and with my in store model alts, I have all the main bodies (Slink, Maitreya, Belleza, GInc, Banned, Lena Perky, Fusion). I won't get the TMP because I personally believe that the way their Style Hud forces designers to load their UUID's to an outside server is a problem since, if they decide to roll up their tents, the servers will be turned off and the TMP body owners will be SOL.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I design applier friendly clothing and with my in store model alts, I have all the main bodies (Slink, Maitreya, Belleza, GInc, Banned, Lena Perky, Fusion). I won't get the TMP because I personally believe that the way their Style Hud forces designers to load their UUID's to an outside server is a problem since, if they decide to roll up their tents, the servers will be turned off and the TMP body owners will be SOL.

Now see this is a legitimate and real concern.

I often hear the complaint about other brand being "people will see my UUIDs in the whatever thingy".

- Of course every single UUID you encounter in SL, on yourself, other people, or objects inworld; is stored on your system in plain text... so that's a pointless concern.

But the server shutdown of a third party controller is a real issue. Notice a frequent topic that occurs in these forums over one brand of Dance HUD that went web-based... and then the owner of the place left SL. Left his shop in place, but just collects the money now without showing up anywhere, and appears to have been doing that for a few years - with the web config server long since shut off.

Yet another reason to get behind only those mesh items that go for an inworld solution. And then after that you have the rather good arguments for going for Omega as a common and workable solution.

That all said - Maitreya is a rather curvy body with well formed bosom and behind. Not "cartoon" like Brazilia, but the curves are all there - and it looked like the OP was looking for a 'boyish' body.

Slink... you can't set the bosom above 48 without visible deforming (it starts around 38-40 if I recall right), but it also deforms if you go much lower than that...

not really a boyish body, i mean i guess in a sense, i just don't want an avatar that looks too sexy. i still like curves, but recently i've been seeing only meshes with curves that are just too much for me to handle. i can deal with a nice hour glass or pear shaped figure, but going too far to where i fear walking through doors seems to be all i see. i guess a """"""normal"""""" figure, or just petite?

Ah then if you're looking for normal I'd suggest comparing between Belleza and Maitreya. Those are in my opinion the two best done figures. I find Belleza the best, but it is also 4000L while Maitreya is 2700L.

Some people consider 1300L a deal breaker, but I prefer not having to go shopping again because I find out too late I bought the lesser of 2 choices. That said, others also find Maitreya better than Belleza - the quality differences are close enough that you really need to do the comparison yourself, and not quickly. I'd sit down with the betas to both for a few days and take snapshots under different lighting at various camera angles and under a couple of twists to the shape settings.

(But even then... a change of skin will change which looks better.)

My Mistake..

i think it must have been someone giving me a ballpark of 3500. for Belleza cost ,that was stuck in my mind..

It's 3995L$

i just remember that 3 in the front  when i bought it..it was really laggy and i was trying to get it and get out of there,so the 3500 stuck lol

Lisette Seranno wrote:

+1 for Maitreya or Belleza.

The best thing about mesh bodies are they more or less mold to the shape you're wearing. So if your shape isn't curvy to begin with it's not going to add too much to it. It'll just smooth you out, so to speak.

That's not neccessarily the case with these rigged mesh bodies..

I've messed with the sliders and then taken my mesh bodies off and was pretty shocked at how deformed my  SL body looked..

if they were like a fitted mesh it would be the case of molding to us,but these are rigged.

I've had to make different shapes for each one to get each one where i like it..

Actually Maitreya and Belleza are fitted, not just rigged.

Fitted is an extension of rigged - with the mesh item conforming to more of the rigging, and to avatar physics.

Most mesh bodies are fitted. Usually its only the older ones that are only rigged.

But just because something is fitted doesn't mean it perfectly matches your shape. If it did, you couldn't make a fitted dress, as the avatar underneath has two legs and not one conal shape. Fitted means you define a shape for your mesh object, and then rig it to match more points, and deform along the same morphing as the underlying thing it is rigged to.

So I modify a given set of polygons/vertices of the avatar's shape, the polygons/vertixes that are weighted to that point modify to the same degree.

But the resulting thing seen on the screen might look very different.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Actually Maitreya and Belleza are fitted, not just rigged.

Fitted is an extension of rigged - with the mesh item conforming to more of the rigging, and to avatar physics.

Most mesh bodies are fitted. Usually its only the older ones that are only rigged.

But just because something is fitted doesn't mean it perfectly matches your shape. If it did, you couldn't make a fitted dress, as the avatar underneath has two legs and not one conal shape. Fitted means you define a shape for your mesh object, and then rig it to match more points, and deform along the same morphing as the underlying thing it is rigged to.

So I modify a given set of polygons/vertices of the avatar's shape, the polygons/vertixes that are weighted to that point modify to the same degree.

But the resulting thing seen on the screen might look very different.

Ahh ok,That explains why some were so hard to adjust vs others.. =)

Thank you for clearing that up..

I have a collection of rigged mesh avatars: TMP, Bellleza, the Eves, the Lenas, Slink, Maitreya. Exploring the differences has been quite interesting.

They all work with my "standard" shape, but they all inturpret it quite differently. Easy to see when I try to wear the same rigged, but not fitted, mesh item. Items rigged to the standard SL bones. If I mess with the sliders, I can fit some of my old mesh, but not all of it, at least not for every avatar.

The differences are particualry noticeable when animating the avatars. I enjoy dancing.  I have jewelry that is attached to the standard SL skeleton.  I have to edit the position of each piece differently for each avatar, and some of the avatars are much better than others about swallowing the item as I move. Some avatars just do not work with fixed position jewelry when animated.  (I am talking about items that were custom built to fit the standard SL avatar with no animation issues at all; the torso of the SL avatar is a rigid cage. Fitted mesh has "softer edges", rigged to a different set of bones, and rigged differently from avatar to avatar)

So yeah, they will work with your old shape.  Slink and Maitreya are the closest to a smoothed SL shape, simialar but not the same as the standard SL avatar. But they are all quite different in how they fit the same, once you take a close look. Oh, and very different in how they inturpret avatar physics.

I had expected being able to use the same shape among my different mesh avatars, but it turns out I really need to make a different shape for each one, to have each one look "nice" to my eye.

You do realize all the popular mesh bodies are fitted mesh right? Fitted mesh means they'll reflect your shape sliders, every single one of them. Decrease breast size, increase love handles, enlarge hip length, decrease butt size, voila your SL Meg Griffin. I don't see how you can't make a "non-sexy" shape, though Slink Physique is already on the modest side. Default SL body is just painfully ugly unless you're fully clothed. Bugged crotch area, awful hands, boobs that are so low in vertices that you can practically count the number, butt that looks like it was made with play-dough and the epic feet... those are just epic.

Suki Hirano wrote:

Default SL body is just painfully ugly unless you're fully clothed. Bugged crotch area, awful hands, boobs that are so low in vertices that you can practically count the number, butt that looks like it was made with play-dough and the epic feet... those are just epic.

Heh yeah. I went for years thinking the SL avatar's boobs were just fine until I saw the first mesh boobs, which were too big at the time for me, but made me look at what I had and realize it would be smoother if it was made of two cardboard boxes...

And the feet yeah... the feet.

SL's avatar was likely developed by or just before the year 2000... and certainly by 2003. And its primative even for 1999 standards because the pace of graphics cards was not as predictable back then.

Their biggest mistake was one very commn in tech - not designing it to age or grow well. Done right, it could have been made so every year or so you could have added more detail, without needing a new UV map. And done right it would have been rigged in ways that would be designed to predict where more detail / motion would be needed later.

Just to clarify what I meant, I didn't mean mesh bodies will mold exactly to your SL shape. That was why I said more or less. You're still at the mercy of the designer's interpretation of the body. Most of the differences are with the breast shape, hips, thighs, butt and belly and there is a range you can adjust before you deform the mesh. Technically speaking the standard SL shape IS a mesh body, although a low poly one, that's why it looks even weirder at the extreme ranges. What happens when you put on a mesh body is you're putting on a mesh over the mesh , which is why you have to wear an alpha, because some areas will fit and some areas will not match. But overall, when you put on a mesh body that IS your shape, however since the body is sized and shaped different certain parts will look different and you'll have to adjust. But I find Maitreya and Belleza needs less adjusting than the other ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Slink is probably your best bet because it's not quite as curvy as the other bodies out there, and it's the most versatile in that if someone makes ANY appliers, they will more than likely do them for Slink.

The Mesh Project mesh body is really cute and looks great at smaller sizes as well, but it may still be too curvy for you since even at 0 the bum sticks out quite a bit.  

I've worn my TMP body since I got it and haven't really taken it off until I got my Maitreya body, which I like just as much if not more. it's still rather curvy though, but Onyx LeShelle (Maitreya) has a skinny avatar and it looks cute with the body.

I'm not sure exactly how un-curvy you're wanting to be, but I'd definitely say try the Slink Physique body and Maitreya Lara body. Keep in mind that you will have to edit your avatar shape to accomodate the different features of each mesh body, so if you like the general shape of it go ahead and experiment with the shape sliders to get the look you want.

Slink or any of the ones that are Omega compatible. If you are looking for a body that isn't as curvy then Slink or Maitreya. Belleza is a bit curvier as is the Banned. Those 4 currently have the best alpha cuts for wearing with mesh clothing. The latter 3 are Omega compatible. Most designers that make appliers make Slink and Omega.

The TMP has a good shape and I have absolutely nothing to say about the body itself. My problem with is is the overly complicated Style hud and the fact that all textures that are applied to the TMP are stored on a third party server outside of SL and the Hud imports them as needed. This means that designers have to load their UUIDs into outside servers. That poses a problem for the TOS/EULA for some of the templates and textures used. Also, if the servers are down, you the Style hud doesn't work and you're stuck with whatever you have applied to the body. This has actually happened several times in the past few months when the server went down. This also means that if TMP decides to quit SL for whatever reason, they'll be shutting down the server and the owners are SOL.

At least with Slink/Omega bodies, designers have the info inworld, If Slink closed their doors today, you'd still be able to get clothes and skins and the ones you have would still work. Look at Wowmeh/Phat Azz. Both are no longer available inworld but designers are still  making clothes for those appliers. They are both Omega compatible as well.

Just a few things to consider

Wear a TMP and then sit on a dining room style chair and view your avatar from the side. Your buttocks and knee area will be crushed in unusual ways if I recall right.

- This effect exists on the base avatar as well, but is even worse on TMP. Some mesh bodies partly correct for it, though a true fix would require new rigging of the base SL 'skeleton' I suspect...

Ugh, i know how you feel OP.  All the mesh bodies are too limiting in choice.  I really wish the "mesh deformer" project would've prevailed, because it was far superior, allowing us to use the default avatar without having to worry about appliers, huds, alphas, etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.