how do i creat a Avatar

ChristianTDiamond

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That whole topic really depends on what you want. An avatar can be everything from toaster, over humans to furry or even a giant t-rex. Most people buy different parts from different stores and create their own look out of it (at least thats what most human-looking avatars are made of). There are stores specialized on skins, eyes, shapes, hair, clothes and so on. Its rare that one person makes everything or at least more than two of the above.

The only avatars which get made just by one store/person are furries and other avatars that highly alter the default avatarmesh. All animal- and  roboticavatars fall under this category.

So....without knowing what you want to create by yourself its hard to give advice. I'm also not sure, if your question really centers around being a creator on your own or about how to improve/change parts of the standartavatar.

As the previous post mentioned, avatar is a pretty ambiguous term. I'll go on the assumption you are talking about a human avatar, and in that case the question is do you want to physically make an entirely new avatar, or do you want to customize one of the premade ones to more accurately approach your own personal look or what you want your avatar to look like.

To physically make an avatar, let me recommend a few options. I will start by warning you I have never done this, but these will likely get you heading in the right direction. The Blender.org website is used heavily in creation. It offers its software free, and with it you can make a ton of things--clothes, animations, houses, furniture--and body parts which likely include avatars.

There is a add on program for Blender called Avastar, which lets you export a SL avatar into it to make clothes, animations etc. I believe it also allows you to make a avatar and import it to SL. I have never done this, so this is something you would have to look into and research. If you google avaster you will find links to their website, part of the avatars work bench. I shold say that its not a free program (think about $30 US dollars) but its useful.

Another interesting software is Make Human. Once again, its free and you can google it to find the website for it. It lets you make people plain and simple, and its pretty simple and a lot of fun.

Youtube is a treasure trove of info and great tutorials. You can also find much info in the creations forums a few spots down from here.

Hope that helps some and good luck.

Let me google that for you...

Sarcasm aside, here are a few simple steps...

Decide what kind of avatar you want: look at other people's avs, shop around, look on the Marketplace, and consider characters you like from fiction.

Learn how avs are put together by taking some apart. The Library in your Inventory is full of free starter avatars. Wear one, then look at how it's made up. Learn what skin, shape, clothes and attachments do. Play with the shape sliders and see what effect it has. Learn about human proportions. Have fun combining different avatar components together (this is how I spent my first couple of days on SL!).

Start collecting the components you need. Buy lots and lots of demos for hair, shapes, skins and clothes where available. If you want something different like a full mesh avatar or a furry, look at the options for those. Google for review sites of SL products. 

Buy the components. Wear them. Enjoy them. You've created your avatar.

• 1 year later...

ChristianTDiamond wrote:

I want to creat human avi's

Open inventory and right click on Body Parts.  Create a new folder and give it a name.

Go into that folder, right click and create new ... make one of each of these.:

1. Shape.
  2. Hair
  3. Skin
  4. Eyes

Give them all names.

At the top of the inventory window, search for: (worn

Right click and remove any thing you can.

When done, clear the search field.

Right click on the new folder you created at the start and wear.

You now have a whole and complete brand new avatar of your creation.  From here, play with editing the various pieces.  You can even add textures from the library to the different parts to get used to how it all works together.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.