custom avatar

percival44

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i want a avatar made of the character Nova "Annabelle" Terra from starcraft 2/starcraft ghosts

what i want is shape (not as important), skin, outfit (with goggles if possible), hair, eyebrowshaper, and if possible the riffle and knife

also would like a skin and hair for sarah kerrigan (with red hair and with zerg hair)

same shape and outfit as nova so just the face and hair basically

how much would this cost together and seperate

i would not be able to buy it right away, i would like to pay uppon completion of the avatar

otherwise i would have to buy a cheesier version from the online store

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af81/psudokiller/sc/Nova-starcraft-17127957-1280-1024.jpg

…and what I want is to be is 22 years old with a 28" waist again… but I'm afraid that ain't going to happen, either.

What you are asking for is going to cost a lot of US$. For a skilled artist to create the shape and a detailed skin would take many hours of work and then to build a one off, unique hair plus weapons and accessories! Days of work!

Besides, before even starting on such a product there is the issue of copyright. This character has already been created elsewhere and is subject to intellectual property rights at the most basic level and, doubtless, has a registered copyright anyway.

Save yourself a fortune. Learn to modify your own avatar shape then search the market place and in world shops for the closest skin match you can find and afford and have the satisfaction of creating your own avatar, similar to but not a copy of this character. Good luck :)

This is laughable.

You seem to be unaware of what you request. Creating a whole avatar is something not every creator inside of SL is able to do as it requires many different skills. If it costs you 200$, you could count yourself lucky, because any reasonable creator would charge you a RL hour wage and this project would eat up days completely filled with work.

But do you know why no sane creator will answer your request? Because you look shady as hell. Your account is a new one with a completely blank profile and not even payment info on file...looks like a throw-away account for me and definitly not one I would do serious business with. On top of that, you say the creator will be paid after finishing the avatar for you. So the creator has to trust you totally and take up all the risk by himself/herself? Be honest, would you do that, if you were the creator?

Anyway...I don't know about what online store you are talking about, but every reproduction of her or Kerrigan violates copyright laws. Both characters belong to registered trademarks and could always be taken down from SL as soon as the true copyright owner takes actions.

to answer your questions, i have not built a profile cause i have spent 8 days on second life, as a diesel mechanic yes i do accept payment after the job, its part of the buisness, why should someone pay for services not yet rendered, i stupidly did not think of copywrite so you both are right, that was wrong of me, and obviously i dont know how hard it is to create an avatar thats why i was asking a price

you dont have to be insaulting all you have to do is simply tell me why this would not work and move on, have some etiquite

request for avatar oficially recinded, i no longer want anything to do with having someone create anything for me in this game, if thats how ill be treated ill learn it myself, and then if someone asks a question about custom content, even if i think it wont work or its a stupid request, i will be polite about it and explain why it will not work.

thank you and have a nice day.

Greetings, percival44

It is unfortunately the case that anything that is a spitting image copy of something that has real life copyright is not really allowed in Second Life.  The owners of copyright, once made aware of such copies in Second Life (or anywhere else) have enough real life cash to pursue lawsuits, which could actually end up costing Linden Lab - and those who breach copyright within Second Life - a lot of money. Therefore, it is usual for "cheesier" copies to be available, but not exact replicas.

http://lindenlab.com/tos

There are some great pre-made avatars, although maybe not quite what you are wanting.

Maybe if you are feeling creative, you can actually make something different to what has gone before, something totally unique.

(I am not very creative, and that makes me feel quite sad. I don't have the patience :(  )

Wishing you luck and lots of fun in all you do. 

percival44 wrote:

to answer your questions, i have not built a profile cause i have spent 8 days on second life, as a diesel mechanic yes i do accept payment after the job, its part of the buisness, why should someone pay for services not yet rendered, i stupidly did not think of copywrite so you both are right, that was wrong of me, and obviously i dont know how hard it is to create an avatar thats why i was asking a price

you dont have to be insaulting all you have to do is simply tell me why this would not work and move on, have some etiquite

Sorry if I sounded insulting, its just the combination of things that lead to me not chosing a less rough wording.

But I'll like to explain it to you in more detail, why a custom avatar (if you deciede to maybe get your own design made by someone) won't work the way you expressed it in your opening post.

As a mechanic you work in the real world and probably fix real life cars and such. You have your customer right in front of you and you do your work  and get paid after its finished. You feel secure doing it this way, I know.

But doing customwork over the internet brings  a few more insecurities with it. You are anonym here and you are boundless. In RL you are not anonym and I think your customers can't vanish from the surface of the earth, if they can't pay you...on the internet they certainly can do that.

Imagine you are in your workplace and you get an email from a person who ask you to do a custom engine for him. He starts to describe it to you and your knowledge already tells you, that its going to be a very pricy and complex project. The potentional customer doesn't appear to know much himself about engines like the one he descriped. Does he know how much this could cost? Probably not. So you try to find out more about your future customer, but everything about him leads you to believe that he doesn't even has settled down in the city and that he could leave without any problems You can't even figure out if he has the money needed. But at the same time you would have devot time and materials into the project long before its finished...what if he can't pay you at the end?

Would you take the risk?

Of course this is just a simplified explaination, but thats basically the situation right now for you and anyone interested to work for you. In RL its much easier to file lawsuits against someone not willing to pay, but with custom work over the internet from people just like you it isn't as easy. As soon as both are not in the same country it gets a ton more complicated and often you easily lose all contact to the other person.

I have heard terrible stories from people who offer custom made clothes and accesories (real objects, not SL) and the same amount of horrible stories from people who buy them. Both sides try to avoid getting scammed as much as possible and thats why its good to appear as serious as possible to make others feel better about (or to even attract them).

A more general suggestion from me would be to first get settled into SL before you think of such a pricy project. Take a look around and see if there isn't maybe already made content that you like a lot. Regularly sold clothes, hair, skin and such are much much cheapier than anything made just for one person.

You don't have to buy a complete avatar in Second Life. You could look for blond ponytails, eyes with an eyecolour like Nova has and a light coloured skin that comes close to hers. Most people actually do it this way, when they put their avatars together, because many creators specialize in making a single kind of product and get very good at it (for example: There are many stores that just sell hair). You also get a much more individual look this way.

thank you, this does explain it alot more, i did not mean to sound shady, i was simply asking for a price, i do however understand that my first post was not properly though through, i do see your point and it makes sense, again thank you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.