avatar with surname with 70 days?

iRockister

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I would like to know if you have another site that possar create an account with surname. I know in secondlife is to change the name, but even then my name will remain as Resident. Today, I saw the profile of a person with the name '' SushantLecker SLSGO '' ', in which he has 70 days, I wonder how they do it, because the resident name was something not liked = x, by because many already using that name. 

Told me you have a site that does this, you can create an account with surname, and I do not know if this is legal to do, so I'm asking.

detail: my language is not english xD

iRockister wrote:

Hello, I would like to know if you have another site that possar create an account with surname. I know in secondlife is to change the name, but even then my name will remain as Resident. Today, I saw the profile of a person with the name '' SushantLecker SLSGO '' ', in which he has 70 days, I wonder how they do it, because the resident name was something not liked = x, by because many already using that name. 

Told me you have a site that does this, you can create an account with surname, and I do not know if this is legal to do, so I'm asking.

detail: my language is not english
xD

"Last names" are actually a number that's looked up in a database. The "SLSGO" last name was added to the database to identify accounts with the legal information on file for skill-game operation.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

iRockister wrote:

detail: my language is not english
xD

"Last names" are actually a number that's looked up in a database. The "SLSGO" last name was added to the database to identify accounts with the legal information on file for skill-game operation.

I was just looking into this also.

There appear to be two acronyms in use as surnames.  You can see them both on the approved participants list. LINK.

My educated guess is that SLSGO = "Second Life Skill Game Operator," and that SLSGC = "Second Life Skill Game Creator."

I don't remember any official announcement about this.

Either LL is doing this or one or a combination of Skill Game providers applied for custom names under the Custom Name Program.

This reminds me of a similar curiosity, but the other way round.

Long before we had display names, when everybody had to have a first name and a surname, I remember encountering one avatar that had a single word name, confirmed by checking her profile.  She was a land dealer, possibly a bot, but it was the only example I ever saw of someone with a single name before the change came.  I never understood how that was achieved.

Although everyone I've talked to cry and moan, wanting to have the surnames back. LL has declared that most people like it the way it is....I loved having the clever names...Sinfuldelight Fiul, Sufferingfrom Lockjaw, Pepperment Twist, Widget Engineer, etc. Adding the display names would still be possible. I personally thing LL is just lazy and doesn't want to be bothered coming up with the surnames, regardless of the fact that they've had how many lists over the years? All they have to do is recycle back from the very beginning. Shrugs...in the meantime, you have to live with Resident for a last name.

For almost a year after LLs said that for technical reasons it was not possible to put surnames back in... there still existed a few portals that let people make accounts with surnames. Everytime somebody announced where one of these was - it got shut down.

Obviously these new 'unskilled gaming' names prove that the technology to have surnames is still there...

...and its not happening for the rest of us due to policy reasons...

(I believe, based on zero evidence and mere opinion, that it all hinges on a question of "what is fair to the people with 'resident' if we toggle the surname switch again?")

• 2 weeks later...

There's some of the issue there.

My take, again pure unsubstantiated opinion... is that there is a small set of people who really like their single word name. Most of these are the people who got those names in the first 30-seconds of single word names - when you could still get one that was an actual word, like my alt: "Reggae".

But ever since there you have had to be R3ggae or Reggae123 or R3gga3 or JanesAvatarThatLikesReggae or JaneNov162014 or... worse...

- And I'm sure all those people would drop their SL username in a heartbeat if they could keep their inventory in the transition.

And since they can't keep the inventory... they'd feel it was unfair that they got stuck with a name that looked like a noob when normal names came back...

They really should habe just "taken the hit" on this issue in 2011 right before mesh came out. A huge segment of the SL community has replaced most of its inventory in the last 3 years anyway...

The longer this goes on, the worse things get.

The solution they have opted for is to put a digital head in the sand and act like a problem ignored is a problem gone...

But I'm sure this has to be hurting the viability of SL that people get stuck with going through hoops to find a name that isn't taken already...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.