Your Avatar Name

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I just can't take it any longer!

The avatar names that noobs are selecting now are getting more and more ridiculous!  I saw a dude the other day with a name that was just a string of numbers!  It started with 046XXXXXX.  How do you even address someone with a name like that?  "Howdy, Zero Four Six!"  There's another person below this thread with 1RXXX as a name.  Again...same question.  

I have never seen anybody out in the real world named as a string of numbers and letters like that.  

I know it's because the sign up system is terrible and they don't tell noobs that that string of numbers is gonna be hovering above their heads forever more.  But, if it were ME and the 1st time I logged in and saw that my name was the string of numbers and most everybody else had a REAL name, I would log out and start again.  

When I see people with those ridiculous "names" I just want to yell out to them;  "Go get a REAL name will ya!"

Of course I am all for them bringing back last names.  But, we know now that it will never happen.  

Noobs need to know that they can likely get a name in this format:  FirstnameLastname.  No spaces.

Sextoy Gynoid

Re: Your Avatar Name

Reply to Marcus Hancroft - view message

Yep, you're begging for flames with that attitude. Perhaps a gentler approach would be a resolve to inform noobs about the display name option? 

Reply to Sextoy Gynoid - view message

Yeah, but I consider those display names "play names" or "aliases."  And so have them turned off.  They mean nothing to me and I don't want to see them.  So, off they went a LONG time ago.  They are a poor option what with all the ascii characters so many people seem to want to use.  X-P  Ugh.

Contributor
Freya Mokusei

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

They mean nothing to me and I don't want to see them.

This is the problem.

Syo Emerald
Topics: 26

Reply to Sextoy Gynoid - view message

A displayname is not really an option, cause onyl the avatars real name get used to mark everything they own or created. Imagine one of the noobs want to open a store.....it will lead to poor customer service, cause nobody is able to find them quickly in search.

It simply has a strange feeling with those names. Also I didn't think its impossible to get a decent name. In many games with thousands of other userers and even more avatars it was never such a huge problem to find a name. The players there are used to come up with a new name, cause often numbers aren't allowed in names there.

It looks like less effort to pick a line of numbers or random letters. A name is one part of the first impression others will have from someone.

On the internet nobody knows you are a dog.
Ry0ta Exonar
Topics: 5

LL has only to wait for older residents die out, then nobody complains. >:]

Prodigal banner
Paula001 Goldschein

[ Edited ]

wow, really ;p

not flaming you tho, boredom is a luxury!

There's nothing bad you can say about the current situation with user names that hasn't already been said dozens of times.  How smart people could come up with something this bad is a mystery to me.  People are still regularly adding comments to the jira about bringing back last names.

I have never heard of a resident who liked user names.

That said, I agree with the other poster about display names.  I usually keep display names on and usernames off, and it works fine.  Whiles some display names are unpronounceable, so are, as you pointed out, some user names.  

Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 68

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

But, if it were ME and the 1st time I logged in and saw that my name was the string of numbers and most everybody else had a REAL name, I would log out and start again.

Yep. And I'd wager a good number of folks do just that, though I don't know how many hit the 'start again' part...

Put your bombs away, have a little more faith, know what your heart is for - Boy George.
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination.
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Honored Resident
MasoDevotina

[ Edited ]

Reply to Freya Mokusei - view message

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

They mean nothing to me and I don't want to see them.

This is the problem.

Yep, and so I am called by a name I don't really listen to ...