Why is it not acceptable to walk around naked?

AmyNevilly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I put on a unicorn and went dancing in space. Have never been to a furry sim. The unicorn looks like one that my daughter owns, ergo "stuffed toy" as far as I am concerned. Granted, it has teeny tiny bumps on its chest, but certainly no genitalia of any kind. An unnamed long term resident asked me if I knew I was violating TOS by being nude. I explained that I didn't know, thanked for the heads up and changed immediately. The response was well I don't care if you do furry or not. I still have your pic and I'm calling security.

REALLY? For a stuffed toy???

I thanked her for her diligence, acknowledged that ignorance is no excuse, pointed out that I had already changed and wished her good evening. And she still managed to come back snarky because she felt that I needed to take into account that rezzing can be slow and people can't be expected to know that I have changed. Oh joy. Anyway, the point is....REALLY?? For a stuffed toy?? lol.

Just sayin'....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AmyNevilly wrote:

I mean, we're all pixels? Why are peach coloured ones discriminated against?

Can't naked pixels live in harmony with clothed ones?

I'm not peach colored, but brown in my neko form, so I guess that's why I get away doing it all the time. ;)

(I used to wonder when I was young why skin color was called 'tan' or 'brown' on my crayons and peach was called 'skin' - but they seem to have changed that typo over the years.)

Seriously though - on A land, I don't bother to ask or worry. On M land, I look at the surroundings a bit and make a judgement call. On G land, I wear stuffz.

PussycatbyBoathouse.jpg

(See this forum is PG rated, so that image has the good parts colored over. ;) )

Simerion wrote:

I put on a unicorn and went dancing in space. Have never been to a furry sim. The unicorn looks like one that my daughter owns, ergo "stuffed toy" as far as I am concerned. Granted, it has teeny tiny bumps on its chest, but certainly no genitalia of any kind. An unnamed long term resident asked me if I knew I was violating TOS by being nude. I explained that I didn't know, thanked for the heads up and changed immediately. The response was well I don't care if you do furry or not. I still have your pic and I'm calling security.

I thanked her for her diligence, acknowledged that ignorance is no excuse, pointed out that I had already changed and wished her good evening. And she still managed to come back snarky because she felt that I needed to take into account that rezzing can be slow and people can't be expected to know that I have changed. Oh joy. Anyway, the point is....REALLY?? For a stuffed toy?? lol.

Just sayin'....

That person was full of it, unless your unicorn was a furry that shows naughty bits: ie, colored in genitals and nipples. Most furry avatars comes with two skins, a normal one and a mature one. The mature one has 'extra details'. :)

- and only on G land. On M and A land, nudity is fine.

Simerion wrote:

Just sayin'....

Now I'm laughing...........not at you but because in my early days in SL one night at Secret Relections (I miss that SIM)  I ran into a Neko and a Purple Unicorn who were being amorous.  And yes this really did happen........they invited me to join them for a threesome.

Needless to say, at that time I had not been corrupted enough by SL to 'do' a Purple Unicorn. So I declined the invitation.

I do still laugh when I think about it.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Simerion wrote:

Just sayin'....

Now I'm laughing...........not at you but because in my early days in SL one night at Secret Relections (I miss that SIM)  I ran into a Neko and a Purple Unicorn who were being amorous.  And yes this really did happen........they invited me to join them for a threesome.

Needless to say, at that time I had not been corrupted enough by SL to 'do' a Purple Unicorn. So I declined the invitation.

So if a similar offer came your way now, Perrie, you're sufficiently corrupted to accept?

A short time ago, I think it was around halloween, I encountered an avatar that had lost most of its skin and had bits of decaying flesh hanging off its bones.  I think that is more shocking than a healthy naked body !!  But since it was wearing shorts it was probably acceptable in 'general' sims - a bit ironic.

Ian Undercroft wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Simerion wrote:

Just sayin'....

So if a similar offer came your way now, Perrie, you're sufficiently corrupted to accept?

I hope you are not flirting with me.

UncommonTruth wrote:

Ian Undercroft wrote:

Exactly what I was wondering. 

A Martian and a Unicorn!  My Word.  What would our children look like?  And I don't know if I'd be able to carry a MartiaCorn (or would it be a Unician? ) to term.

Or are you flirting with me too?

The last Earth Female I was with was gone and never to be seen again when I woke up the following morning.  I never felt so embarrassed and humiliated.

This question was directly addressed by Desmond Morris in his book entitled The Naked Ape. His basic premise is that humans have heighted sexuality compared to other animal species. The purpose of heightened sexuality is to form a pair bond between a male and female to keep them together for an extended period and promote cooperation among tribe members. However, the heightened sexuality coupled with the upright posture of humans tends to result in over-stimulation of third parties outside of a pair bond. Due to the upright posture of humans, it is impossible for a naked human to approach another without displaying their genitalia and other secondary sexual characteristics such as breasts. The purpose of clothing covering genitalia and breasts is to reduce sexual signaling when moving about in public to avoid over-stimulation of others. 

Randall Ahren wrote:

This question was directly addressed by Desmond Morris in his book entitled The Naked Ape. His basic premise is that humans have heighted sexuality compared to other animal species. The purpose of heightened sexuality is to form a pair bond between a male and female to keep them together for an extended period and promote cooperation among tribe members. However, the heightened sexuality coupled with the upright posture of humans tends to result in over-stimulation of third parties outside of a pair bond. Due to the upright posture of humans, it is impossible for a naked human to approach another without displaying their genitalia and other secondary sexual characteristics such as breasts. The purpose of clothing covering genitalia and breasts is to reduce sexual signaling when moving about in public to avoid over-stimulation of others. 

And in practice, do you find that this works for you?  Or do you mentally undress those you see?

I spend a fair amount time mentally undressing those around me. From what I've read, I understand this is quite normal. This article for example, reports that men on average have an x-rated thought about every seven seconds.

However, thinking and acting are quite different. I've never been convicted of a sex crime and I manage to get some work done during the day, so I suppose it works.

Desmond Morris is someone who's opinions I greatly respect. That said, having rarely seen the giant red rump of the sexually available female ape and monkey species covered by dungarees or even sackcloth.....I do wonder about the validity of that particular scenario. Pigeons are entirely monogamous except in unusal circumstances...even to the point of remaining single should their partner die. Since they live 25 years sometimes and manage to stay connected, I feel certain that the 'heightened sexuality for commitment' angle is bit off center.

I almost wonder if it isn't the opposite. Apes and humans have a heightened sexualilty because they also have a heightened homicidal urge, and potential sex at least stops us all from offing each other just on spec. It seems to me that the extreme difficulty of being faithful experienced by the human animal must really lead to at least considering the idea that maybe it's so hard because we aren't built for it. We are built for multiple connections and transitive relationships and it is our concurrent social and religious evolution that has imposed monogamy as an artificial guideline that we all now struggle with.

So Mr. Morris is right to say that the covering serves a function, but I think perhaps he has attributed the wrong one. Naked tribes in the Amazon function without such rules, and are minimally covered more as a matter of common sense given the local vegetation. Any theory applied must be applicable to every culture in order to stand up, no? The pendulum swings through the ages. There are Eyptian women that remember living burka free, headscarf free...and one day that was not the way of it anymore. Roman times had much fashion that clearly displayed the breasts of female noblewomen. Now Furries are told to put on bikinis...that would have been laughable twenty years ago, because today's opinions of furry culture had not yet been formed. So when a restriction is place, is it to protect the one that is covered or is it to still the reaction in the mind of the one that fears to look and so has placed the restriction?

Ceka Cianci wrote:

baboons have ugly butts and should wear pants!!

one of the reasons people like dogs more than baboons? It's because they don't have baboon dog butts!!
:P

Even baboons like dogs. In particular, baboons in the wild have been known to incorporate dogs into their troops as pets. See this article and video available therein.

Randall Ahren wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

one of the reasons people like dogs more than baboons? It's because they don't have baboon dog butts!!

Even baboons like dogs. In particular, baboons in the wild have been known to incorporate dogs into their troops as pets. See this 
 and video available therein.

it's butt envy and they know their own butts are ugly and wish they had dog baboon butts instead..

it's not rocket science!! \o/

hehehehehe :P

catpainted.jpg

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Randall Ahren wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Even baboons like dogs. In particular, baboons in the wild have been known to incorporate dogs into their troops as pets. See this 
 and video available therein.

it's butt envy and they know their own butts are ugly and wish they had dog baboon butts instead..

it's not rocket science!! \o/

hehehehehe

Struts off bemused.

Perrie Juran wrote

I laughed all night waiting to be able to post this...Its not purple but close enough ^^ Snapshot_017.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.