Wearing high heels

lataily Jayaram

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

Lately I'm having this problem with my avatar  that I didn't have before concerning high heel prim shoes.  wearing the shoes footshaper part gives no problem, but everytime I put on the prim parts then the back of my feet and heels stick out under the prim pump heels. I'm not doing or wearing anything different than I did in previous years, so I'm not sure where the problem comes from.

Hoping you guys and girls could help me figure it out :)

I already tried removing AO's, attachements, edting the shape of my feet.. I still want to wear the pretty heels now and again ;-) Can anybody think of a solution?

Many thanks in advance!

Lataily

The reason is that the shoes you are wearing are "old" and used something called an "invisiprim" to mask that part of the body.  LL then went and changed (removed) support for invisiprims clearly because nobody used them (lots of sarcasm there).

Instead, you need an alpha layer such as that which you would use to hide part of the avatar when wearing mesh items.

You can make one yourself in a basic graphics editor or see if you've got an alpha layer for another pair of shoes that works.  Have a look on Marketplace too, there are some sets of alpha layers for different types of typical use that may work.

If the shoe style is a court style then it's not particularly difficult, if the shoe is a strappy style or has exposes toes then it can become a pain in the ass trying to make a good alpha mask that's precise for a part of the avatar mesh that is pretty low resolution.

Hi Sassy,

Thanks for the useful info! I actually had no idea about these changes and not too happy about them either now that I do know, so I totally get the sarcasm part ;-)

One thing at a time so I guess I'll worry about the peep toes when spring comes around again ;-)

Thank you very much for helping me out!

Hi Lataily,

If I understand correctly, are you suddenly seeing an outline of your feet outside the shoe (not the whole foot, just like a shadow of it)?

The same thing happened to me recently and I fixed it by trying different shoe alphas that I had from other shoes in my inventory until one fit and worked.

So I have to wear another alpha  with some of my other shoes now, but it worked.

If you don't have many shoe alphas to choose from in your inventory, you can go to freebie places and try all the alphas that you can find until one works. Unless you know how to make an alpha layer, but I don't know how to do that.

I agree.  Invisiprims always bugged me and had to go. 

I have removed them from all my old shoes that are mod, and don't wear any shoes that have them that I can't remove. 

Some creators have updates available for the older shoes too.  Check the store where you got them and see if they have an updater or redelivery terminal that will deliver a new version.

It's not the fact that invisiprims were horrible just that it invalidated content, something LL said they wouldn't do.

Some objects are no mod, can't unlink the invisprim and for some, making an alpha mask is a task that takes literally hours.  Try doing an alpha mask for a strappy shoe.

Just the facts.  Yes I prefer alpha masks too but shoes in particular are a pain, i've plenty of older sculpted shoes that are fine aside from this.

I've deleted all shoes and similar objects that used invisiprims, because after 3 years none of them looked that good compared to younger shoes and stuff that already used the layers. I had a couple of furry avatars that had invisiprims in their legs, but that was fixable...but showed me why I have one favorite furry brand....because that one already included both and had a Hudoption to get rid of the invisiprims with one click.

The only problem I can see is, that many freebie places don't care to update or clean up their products and still sell shoes that are were worn only by newbies when I joined SL. Of course those shoes will give them a difficult time.

Just to add to the confusion, invisiprims still work on some viewers. Sometimes only if 'advanced lighting' is disabled, sometimes regardless. Despite the promises of SSA, how your avatar appears to others is down to the viewer they are using, and mostly out of your control. In fact, with the advent of materials, the variety of 'user experiences' is greater than ever.

In this case the safest thing, as others have already stated, is to get rid of any invisiprims and use alpha masks. It's quite easy to mod shoes to remove invisiprims (assuming you have mod permissions). Often the easiest is to edit the invisiprim itself and shrink it down and hide it inside the shoe rather than remove it. You can do this while wearing the shoes if you don't have a place to rez them.

Kelli May wrote:

Just to add to the confusion, invisiprims still work on some viewers. Sometimes only if 'advanced lighting' is disabled, sometimes regardless. Despite the promises of SSA, how your avatar appears to others is down to the viewer they are using, and mostly out of your control. In fact, with the advent of materials, the variety of 'user experiences' is greater than ever.

In this case the safest thing, as others have already stated, is to get rid of any invisiprims and use alpha masks. It's quite easy to mod shoes to remove invisiprims (assuming you have mod permissions). Often the easiest is to edit the invisiprim itself and shrink it down and hide it inside the shoe rather than remove it. You can do this while wearing the shoes if you don't have a place to rez them.

That would explain why I still see many people  (often newbies) using old shoes or old furryavatar without careing about the fact that their feet and legs are still visible. At first I thought they just don't know how to fix this issue or in case of new avatars, don't know any better :catsurprised:

My personal observation is that a lot of people don't use Advanced Lighting Model, and, on their screens, invisiprims work as intended. They just don't realize what other people see.  I have had to explain to several friends what their feet looked like and send them snapshots to help them understand.  Once they saw the snapshot, they  were eager to fix the problem.

Yes, I see it all the time too, Newbies and not-so-newbies with feet sticking out of their boots and furry-feet because they have no idea what the rest of us are seeing. It's hard to ay the blame directly with LL because invisiprims, like so many other much-loved features of SL, are exploits rather than something LL built in.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

I read about the alpha layers so that you can wear heels. I woule absolutely love to have some if I can get them from you. I have tried everything I can think of to be able to wear heels and thought that I was just stuck being in flats all the time. Can you tell that I am only 3 days old? lol

Thank you for any help you can give,

Sassie Cassie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.