Ansariel Hiller

Re: Too many scripts?

Reply to Gadget Portal - view message

You should read what I wrote more exactly or did I mention script count anywhere? I was referring to those "Oh, you use like <<Insert highly oversized amount of memory here>> MB of script memory! You are evil!" displays that server no purpose except giving people unknown of how this value gets calculated a tool to annoy other people.

This is independent from that I personally don't like all that scripted resize crap either and get rid of all scripts I don't need. But judging people based on a script method that returns the theoretical amount of memory used that all scripts that person is wearing might consume is just plain dumb!

If I ever find a smart and funny signature text, you will find it right here!
Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 69

[ Edited ]

Reply to Lawless Greymoon - view message

And you should read my reply: You can use About Land to confirm any one of those scripts. And the results will show you many of them are accurate.

About Land -> Script Info button at the bottom of first tab -> My Avatar.

And you can then pull out sim performance tools in an empty sim and confirm it again.

Those blocks count in steps yes - but that's still a uage as that's steps of memory reserved away from other uses.

Self interest & greed are the roots of evil.
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination. - Lutan Fyah
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery

Reply to Pussycat Catnap - view message

You can tp to the Forum Cartel hangout, We have one of them gadgets. And Happy Hippo building classes has one. Or do what Pussycat says. :smileywink:

Gadget Portal

Reply to Ansariel Hiller - view message

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

You should read what I wrote more exactly or did I mention script count anywhere? I was referring to those "Oh, you use like <<Insert highly oversized amount of memory here>> MB of script memory! You are evil!" displays that server no purpose except giving people unknown of how this value gets calculated a tool to annoy other people.

This is independent from that I personally don't like all that scripted resize crap either and get rid of all scripts I don't need. But judging people based on a script method that returns the theoretical amount of memory used that all scripts that person is wearing might consume is just plain dumb!

Nope, you didn't. I did.

All I said was even if you ignore the innaccuracies in the counters concerning memory, they still give a good ballpark, and the amount of scripts counted won't be wrong.

Therefore, lowering your script count because you saw an alert from one of these devices is a good idea, and they shouldn't be ignored as per your bad advice earlier in the thread.

Ansariel Hiller

[ Edited ]

Reply to Pussycat Catnap - view message

Sorry, but you don't read answers! I told you that the values shown in the script info panel in the about land window return the same value as the LSL script function: They always return the maximum amount of memory a script can acquire: 16 KB for LSL2, 64 KB for Mono and not how much memory actually is used. If you don't want to believe it: Stick to your myth!

Ansariel Hiller

Reply to Gadget Portal - view message

Gadget Portal wrote:

All I said was even if you ignore the innaccuracies in the counters concerning memory, they still give a good ballpark, and the amount of scripts counted won't be wrong.

Therefore, lowering your script count because you saw an alert from one of these devices is a good idea, and they shouldn't be ignored as per your bad advice earlier in the thread.

So, once again: I never said the script count was wrong, but that the script memory shown is useless. Now trying to say script memory might be an indicator is just a cheap way of trying to get your act together, because trying to conclude the performance impact of a script solely by watching at the memory it consumes is just a shot in the blue. You can easily create a script consuming 64 KB of memory that sits there doing absolutely nothing, or make a script of only a handful lines of code that lags a sim down to a complete stop - oh, if you compile latter as Mono so it shows up as using 64 KB memory, your theory might be true! :smileyvery-happy:

Honored Resident
Marshall Burner

OMG you are so annoying !!!

The OP had a valid question and everyone here tried to give him some helpful advice.

Gadget summed it up nicely "Any scripts you can dump, you should.".

If the owners of the places Lawless goes to decided they wanted to reduce the script count on their land it is their choice.

We get it you are a scripter, you know better than anyone how the lsl engine works; good for you.

I think what Lawless wants is some way not to be removed from the places he goes to, and that's what gadget, pussycat and Marianne tried to help him achieve.

Your advice to "Completely ignore those stupid meters and if somebody asks you to reduce script memory because of that thing, point at him while laughing loud!" is probably the worst advice you can give.

If you come to my land and i ask you, politely, i am always polite, to reduce your prim count and your answer is to "point at me while laughing loud!" i will just kick you out and ignore you.

Bah with the kind of arrogance you have displayed here i would probably kick you anyway.

Ansariel Hiller

[ Edited ]

Reply to Marshall Burner - view message

Wait, you really think reducing prim count will (ARC) will reduce server lag? Oy my... But well, if you think it's more important to strengthen people's believe in myths, well, then do so. But this doesn't mean it will make your point of view any more true. But as always: The forums still seem to continue the long tradition of propagating myths and urban legends, so, have fun doing so! :matte-motes-yawn:

Recognized Resident
Benito Macchi

Ok, but  now my question is.... there is any way to prevent those "sensors" from counting my scripts and my memory usage?

I 'm really sick and tired of being "inspected" ; as long i'm not wearing illegal items i'd like not to be bothered when i tp somewhere.

Yes, some script may be dumped if useless after resizing stuff or so, but when i buy items  i pay with good money  for scripted things and i'd like to be able to wear them without those stupid inspections and requests. 

Gadget Portal

Reply to Benito Macchi - view message

No. Lower your script count, stop lagging things up, and you won't have a problem.