Recognized Resident
Lawless Greymoon

Too many scripts?

Hi there, Ive recent started getting this error when I tp to certain places

"You are running 219 scripts (136 active), using 8 MB memory. Please try to reduce your scripts so that you are using less then 5MB of memory, ideally under 2MB. Thank you. (To check your count after removing some scripts, please click the box near the landing point."

I'm not sure whats happening as im only wearing some basic bootss,trousers (lol),hair, ao and tattoos etc. I never used to get this message but have been recently. How do I get rid of scripts?? Its happening even if I tp somewhere naked (lol :smileytongue:...I had to test it)

Any help appreciated!!

Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 69

Re: Too many scripts?

Reply to Lawless Greymoon - view message

Its probably bad hair or boots.

Try taking off each item and having the script recheck you after. Once you know the offending item - contact its maker and politely demand a non-scripted version. The item is 'lag-griefing' everyone around you, as well as yourself, by knocking up the 'script memory' usage so high that it risks crashing the places you go to if a few more peole with items like that show up.

To check your script usage yourself without needing that item from a location, go to About Land and look at the scripts tab.

To get to ‘About Land’ you need to use:
World –> Place Profile –> About Land

Next look for script info in I think the general tab, and then 'My Avatar'. You'll get a list of all your items that have scripts and how much each is using.

Anything above 3mbs is a dangerous item. I try to keep worn items below 1mb if I can.

I'll make screenshots later. I thought I had them in my blog but I don't... Oops.

Self interest & greed are the roots of evil.
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination. - Lutan Fyah
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Marianne Little
Topics: 21

What Pussycat said.

I will just add that you can try to remove scripts yourself. Try to click on the prims you are wearing, like your hair, and see if a blue "box" with information comes on your screen. Look for "Remove scripts" or "Delete scripts". But, when you have removed the scripts, you will never be able to resize the thing again, or change color or textures.

This is why I dislike items with scripts. A few good creators who use scripts leave their products modifiable, but those are so few. That an item is resizable with a script does not mean it is modifiable.

It is also several free gadgets on the Marketplace that let you check your scriptcount quick and easy. Search for "Script counter" and you will get several ones on the first page. I prefer this instead of looking in "About land". Try one of these script counters (some look like weights, lol) and it is no need to take off clothes that is "painted on" you. All things that are prims can be scripted, so keep on the jeans and a simple top if you are in a public sandbox! :smileywink: Your AO and HUDs can also be heavy scripted. MystiTool and Huddles both have a sky high amount of scripts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27764102@N02/

Ansariel Hiller

My opinion on those script meters: Ignore them! Most of them are put in place without even knowing how they work in detail. Because: The script function to determine the script memory will report any LSL script that is compiled as a Mono script as using 64 KB of memory. That however is complete nonsense! LSL Mono scripts dynamically acquire only as much memory they need - most often less than the 16 KB memory that classic LSL scripts *always* acquire.

With those script memory meters, you can actually make memory usage worse! Think of wearing an object with 4 LSL Mono scripts in it. Let each script acquire 4 KB memory in total. Now, that meter report that object as using 256 KB of memory while in fact they only use 16 KB in total. The apparent solution to reduce reported memory use would be to compile those 4 scripts as classic LSL scripts. Then they will be reported of using 64 KB of memory in total which is basically correct. But in the end, you use 48 KB memory more while some other people might think you have reduced the memory used in total!

So my advice: Completely ignore those stupid meters and if somebody asks you to reduce script memory because of that thing, point at him while laughing loud!

If I ever find a smart and funny signature text, you will find it right here!
Gadget Portal

Reply to Ansariel Hiller - view message

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

My opinion on those script meters: Ignore them! Most of them are put in place without even knowing how they work in detail. Because: The script function to determine the script memory will report any LSL script that is compiled as a Mono script as using 64 KB of memory. That however is complete nonsense! LSL Mono scripts dynamically acquire only as much memory they need - most often less than the 16 KB memory that classic LSL scripts *always* acquire.

With those script memory meters, you can actually make memory usage worse! Think of wearing an object with 4 LSL Mono scripts in it. Let each script acquire 4 KB memory in total. Now, that meter report that object as using 256 KB of memory while in fact they only use 16 KB in total. The apparent solution to reduce reported memory use would be to compile those 4 scripts as classic LSL scripts. Then they will be reported of using 64 KB of memory in total which is basically correct. But in the end, you use 48 KB memory more while some other people might think you have reduced the memory used in total!

So my advice: Completely ignore those stupid meters and if somebody asks you to reduce script memory because of that thing, point at him while laughing loud!

Terrible advice.

While those devices CAN be innacurate regarding memory counted, it's usually not by a lot. Moreso, the amount of scripts isn't an incorrect amount. However many scripts it counts, you have. Even if it does get the amount of memory wrong.

Yes, recompiling from mono to lsl can make your memory usage worse... But chances are, if you have to ask "Why am I seeing this message?" you don't even know HOW to recompile mono/lsl. That type of resident is more likely to take the script off than recompile. Which... lowers their script memory, and thus the device works.

8 MB of memory is insane. Even allowing for the innaccuracies in mono memory, you're still way too script heavy.

Pussycat Catnap

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

My opinion on those script meters: Ignore them! Most of them are put in place without even knowing how they work in detail.

This foolish person probably finds SL to be laggy, or has a supped out internet connection and PC.

Guess what: I don't find SL laggy at all, even on my 2003 PowerPC iBook g4...

Pay attention to script memory. You can also easily verify any meter using About Land.

Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination. - Lutan Fyah
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Tiffy Vella

Possible inaccuracies aside, it's time to whip out those scripts, as 8 meg is a bit ginormous. My bet's on the boots and hair having resizers, so squirrel away a copy if you can and delete all scripts. It's nice how it can make your tps smoother :smileyhappy:

Visit Eclectica-Jewellery and Accoutrements Inworld or my blog or the Marketplace
Pussycat Catnap

[ Edited ]

It should be noted also that there are some very good makers in SL that do -not- script their boots, hair, or jewelry. Find them - and do not shop at places that overscript.

A good indicator is the presence of modify on the permissions. If its modify its less likely to be overscripted - but even if it is, you can strip out the scripts (but sometimes even once the script is gone, it continues to run. It is possible to stop it, but I forget how as I haven't had to do this since 2009 - but I do recall it being trivally easy).

I say this onlybecause invariably in this kind of thread someone always jumps in with the 'how dare you make us wear junk - we don't care if we crash the entire grid, we want teh sexxors nao!' They're usually too idiotic to realize or believe or even try out suggested stores tha have often better quality items for what they want... and instead just keep flaming the thread with a demand to be able to run around with a 300mb scripted hair...

I liken them to people who run out into oncomming traffic and as they die from getting run over say "WTF, pedestrians have right of way!" refusing to realizing that the laws of physics have even more 'right of way' and say a car going 50mph can't stop on a dime... SL just won't run with all that overscripting - so you can suffer SL death, or change what you wear: those are just the only choices.

Ansariel Hiller

[ Edited ]

Reply to Pussycat Catnap - view message

Pussycat Catnap wrote:
Pay attention to script memory. You can also easily verify any meter using About Land.

Yeah, but that thingy does the same as llGetObjectDetails: It returns the maximum amount a script may use. Not the actual value if you have Mono scripts. Try this and be amazed how 64 KB suddenly becomes about 4.3 KB when you use the new llGetUsedMemory function to determine the actual memory used by a script:

{
    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        list SM = llGetObjectDetails(llGetKey(), [OBJECT_SCRIPT_MEMORY]);
        llSay(0, "llGetObjectDetails value: " + llList2String(SM, 0));
        llSay(0, "llGetUsedMemory value: " + (string)llGetUsedMemory());
    }
}

Accusing people of using 8 MB script memory where it's most probably only a fracture of that number is the same stupid way to annoy people away as with arguing lowing the ARC will reduce sim lag.

If I ever find a smart and funny signature text, you will find it right here!
Gadget Portal

Accuracy isn't in question. Whether or not you should reduce script counts is.

And like it or not, you should. Any scripts you can dump, you should.