**Survey** do skin/fashion creators in SL also have an interest in the beauty industry in RL?

Nidania Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm taking a survey to get a feel for people's interests in-world vs. in real life.

For example, does someone who creates skins and clothing in Second Life also have the same interests in real life? (ie - working in fashion, or becoming a make-up artist)

I work in the beauty industry in real life and train people to become make-up artists and to earn an extremely good living in this field,  and the reason I'm doing this survey is because I always look for people who are PASSIONATE about the beauty industry and about helping other people look their best and bring out their true beauty. I'd really love to meet people passionate about this, and am looking for some ideas on how to meet people in SL with this passion.

From my own experience in Second Life I have found people who are very passionate in SL about this, and I'm curious if this reflects or spills over into their real life interests.

I look forward to your feedback.

Nidania

I don't know if the skillsets of RL fashion designers or makeup artists translate well to a platform like SL, but I read that Aimee Weber has worked in the RL fashion industry before she became a successful SL fashion creator. Many other fashion and skin designers are Photoshop pros who have been working in graphics design, web design, media design or preprint jobs. 3D design, game design and similar backgrounds have become useful too since sculpties hit the grid.

Thanks for the replies so far.  I'm actually more interested in knowing if people who have a passion for skins and fashion in Second Life (either as a creator, or just as someone who loves to buy these and look good in SL), if they also have a strong interest in these industries in real life.

I look forward to your comments.

Ishtara's right, in that very few skin/clothing creators in SL have any sort of formal RW experience in what they do in SL, and quite often what appears to be a "cross-world" talent really isn't. I'm passionate about it in SL, to an obsessive/perfectionist level even, but all that comes from a burning desire to create, and a lot of digital art and 3D character experience in the real world. My interest in it is pretty much specifically confined to the digital realm, as it's only a casual hobby and creative release more than anything tangible.

I don't have any beauty experience in the real world, but I have made two skins, and all my avie and her alt's clothes. The reason is simple. My avie stands about 5'0" (148-155cm) and weighs 125lb (I can't convert that to metric off the top of my head.) This makes her a 10 petite. No one has that size. Also, my avie works two hours a week in the education sector and needs work safe clothing, but I hate that black pants and men's shirt uniform, a lot of more conservative avies wear. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Well it is a bit different as has been said, I personally have a graphics background and the last time I tried to change out somebodies skin in RL I got in trouble :) But I do love what I do in SL, I love creating something new and different but do wish the SL Avatar shape was a bit more customizable, not everyone wants to be Ken and Barbie.

I guess that is the passion I have in SL, to have the skins with wrinkles, cellulite and even the occasional zit, now if they would let bellies jiggle like the boobies I would be happy :P

Carmella Ruby - RUBY Skins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.