Slink feet substitute

DawnLoria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

DawnLoria wrote:

Does anyone make mesh bare feet that will fit slink-type shoes but for less money? There a some cheap shoes out there made for slink feet and I don't think slink feet are worth the money they're asking.

tnx in advance

675 is fairly cheap for mesh body parts... you wont find non slink feet that fit slink shoes.. they would rightfully DMCA them.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

...they would rightfully DMCA them.

That seems like a real stretch to me.  If you independently create feet to fit certain shoes, how are you violating anyone's copyright?

FWIW, I wish someone would make mesh feet to fit size 0 sculptie shoes.  I have a lot of them that look nice, but I can no longer stand the deformed ankles that I had without mesh feet.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

FWIW, I wish someone would make mesh feet to fit size 0 sculptie shoes.  I have a lot of them that look nice, but I can no longer stand the deformed ankles that I had without mesh feet.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  Sculpted footless shoes have no standard for the foot shape needed to fill them with sculpted or mesh feet.  It would take hundreds of different mesh feet to fit all the sculpted shoes and I doubt anyone wants to buy that many feet.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

...they would rightfully DMCA them.

That seems like a real stretch to me.  If you independently create feet to fit certain shoes, how are you violating anyone's copyright?

Certain shoes that were designed to fit a certain foot... They created that foot, the exact shape needed to fit the shoe is copyrighted by Slink. Just like the Eve body, it has clothing that fits it perfectly. If i were to make a shape that matched it, I would be in violation of their copyright.

Are the shoes mod? Make them fit your foot.

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

N-Core just started selling their version of mesh feet and shoes. I don't know if they will fit slink shoes. They're upstairs if you go there.

This seems like a very risky business to get into.

I know of a couple of brands of feet that even have shoe lines...

But its very hard to capture market space away from Slink. I suppose one could do it if they were fitted, and could use slink appliers. But if you could use slink appliers... you'd probably end up the short end of a DMCA - rightly or wrongly.

In my opinion N-core just waited too long to get into the market. I remember a few years ago, when mesh wasn't such a big thing yet, shoes from N-core were really really awsome. I had two pairs of black heels from them and they were absolutly gorgous. The only downside was the price, somewhere around 700L for a pair. But they obviously had their thing going.

Then came mesh products that were actually good and they kept getting better in terms of design and textures and then came slink and somehow made it to be what lolas are, just for the world of feet.

And N-Core? Well, at least they lost me as a customer, because I switched to slink, while they kept resting on the sucess their prim shoes had.

There are a number of stores selling feet and shoes to fit them.  The reason SLink is so popular is they followed the pc model rather than the apple model.  In other words they allow other people to create shoes for their feet, thus giving customers the widest range of choice.  Shoes for the feet that are sold by other shops must be bought from the feet's creator.

I have slink feet, but I try to avoid using them because they look like size 9's on any avatar normal sized. Gos are nice but they don't have any appliers for tights so far as I can tell. N-core look promising but so far only support patterned tights. So I was back to fiddling with skifija hud to try to match my legs to their feet. She makes it look so easy in the tutorial... sigh

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath.  Sculpted footless shoes have no standard for the foot shape needed to fill them with sculpted or mesh feet.  It would take hundreds of different mesh feet to fit all the sculpted shoes and I doubt anyone wants to buy that many feet.

From my experience trying to fit Slink feet into sculptie shoes, all of mine seem to be about the same size and to have the same problems with fitting the feet.  The forefoot is a little too wide, and the big toe sticks up.  If my Slink fgeet were just a litytle, probably not enough to be noticeable, different, the shoes woiuld fit.

Aethelwine wrote:

I have slink feet, but I try to avoid using them because they look like size 9's on any avatar normal sized.

Most SL avatars actually have feet that are too small.

Your feet should be as long as your forearm.

And remember that most SL avatars have too short of arms. Your arms from finger tip to finger tip should be as wide as you are tall - but NOT via making yourself have wide shoulders... Another way of looking at that is that your fingers should be able to touch your mid thighs.

BUT that also assumed that your crotch is exactly 50% of your height from the ground, no more or less.

So... I've not measured the slnk feet, but most of the time I'm fine with their size.

If they had a fitted verson you could resize, they'd be better - but if they did too many people would make them too small.

• 2 weeks later...

Pumpkin Zenovka wrote:

The nice thing about SL is we can be whatever we want to be. Its the freedom of just enjoying our second life without constraints or conventions.  And if big feet, little feet  or even web feet is your thing then it doesn't really matter, as long as you are happy with the feet you have :-)

The reality to that mantra is that most people don't understand what they have dialed in and what it means.

When a five year old hands an adult a drawing its proper to tell them that is nice and very artistic. When Picasso hands an adult a drawing one might say the same thing.

- But the meaning is different. The viewer can tell the difference between a 5 year old and a Picasso, even if they don't understand why.

Distortion only works if you understand what you are distorting away from.

Very few people who have distorted avatars in SL meant to be so distorted - and when you spot them, its obvious they knew what effect they were going for in that distortion. But there are a lot of people out there who's shapes resemble the 5-year old's drawing, and who wish they didn't. Some of them get defensive about it - rather than self-educate, and some of them quietly read blogs by those of us who give advice on the subject.

The SL shoes are actually distored and the feet have to be to fit them. With the original prims shoes were made with, they were usually shrunk down to as small as they would go and that equated with the size 0 for women. Kid you not...a long time ago I took a class to learn to make shoes. We made it big and then once we finished and linked, we resized the prims to as small as they would go.

The Slink foot is actually properly proportion. When you look down at your foot you actually only see 2/3 or so of it. You don't see from the ankle back. As was said before...take one of your shoes and holdi it up to your arm. You'll find it's the same length as your forearm from wrist to elbow. It takes a bit of getting used to but after you do, it's odd to look at other shoes.

N-Core are slightly bigger than slink feet, but anyway Similar are now selling feet they claim to be compatible with slink shoes and a lot cheaper.

The review says they are compatible but points out at least currently there is no specific skin matching. So you have to use rgb values. I am not familiar with the brand but I understand they have a good quality reputation... and the prices of their shoes supports that.

Aethelwine wrote:

N-Core are slightly bigger than slink feet, but anyway Similar are now selling feet they

The review says they are compatible but points out at least currently there is no specific skin matching. So you have to use rgb values. I am not familiar with the brand but I understand they have a good quality reputation... and the prices of their shoes supports that.

/me snifs the air.. "Do I smell a pending DMCA?"

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

N-Core are slightly bigger than slink feet, but anyway Similar are now selling feet they

If there was one it would seem to be spurious since the DMCA provisions specifially allow reverse engineering for the purposes of interoperability.

I am no expert but I would think the same process and protections were afforded to the people that first started to make their breasts compatible with lola appliers and also those involved in the Omega project.

So I would not be expecting Slink to go down that route.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

That's an interesting question Drake.

Lets say N-Core took a shoe designed to fit Slink and said let's make our own foot to fit it from scratch.  And the foot they come up with is not a copy of the Slink foot.  Has longer toes, different nails, etc, etc.

Consider this:

"The red elephant in the room is that though it is the artistic and creative core of the fashion industry, design is not protected qua design, but only as a symbol of who created it. Fashion designers find no comfort in the federal copyright statute, which protects authors and creators, but does not extend to “useful articles,” including apparel and shoes."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/opinion/sunday/louboutin-and-the-little-red-litigious-shoes.html?_r=0

So if they designed a foot that fit that was not a copy of the Slink foot would it be a violation?

On the other side of this, I dont think Slink could do anything to stop me from designing shoes that fit the Slink foot.

Aethelwine wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

If there was one it would seem to be spurious since the DMCA provisions specifially allow reverse engineering for the purposes of

I am no expert but I would think the same process and protections were afforded to the people that first started to make their breasts compatible with lola appliers and also those involved in the Omega project.

Similar has made a set of feet that match Slink shoes perfectly. They even have a disclaimer in there description on the MP.. Obviously they seem to think there may be a problem.

There i s a big difference between making appliers compatible and making a copy of something to capitalize on a market.

Eve mesh body has their own line of mesh clothing that fits her av only. Would it be OK for me to make a copy of her av shape and make my own mesh av and compete with her clothing line?

Its called proprietary. Slink shoes are designed to fit Slink feet. Why do you think N-Core feet don't fit Slink shoes, or Slink feet don't fit N-core shoes?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

If there was one it would seem to be spurious since the DMCA provisions specifially allow reverse engineering for the purposes of

Similar has made a set of feet that match Slink shoes perfectly. They even have a disclaimer in there description on the MP.. Obviously they seem to think there may be a problem.

Do you mean this statement:

"Slink is a trademark of Slink Avatar Enhancements, no infringement intended.."

That's proper usage.  Anytime you reference someone elses Trademark technically you have to state that.

Just like when Pepsi mentions Coke in an ad or visa versa.

And what does "proprietary rights" have to do with this?  Which "proprietary right" has been infringed?

This is interesting. I can not follow the legal line, so I leave that to the business involved. 

A big benefit, one of the selling features, of Slink is their applier system. This matching by Hud is a crap match for all who have tried it. So it can be a starter foot... there is some footwear where the ankle is hidden, like boots with visible toes and shoes with straps up the ankle. It looks like it is not possible to wear the foot with stockings either. All the season "Santa baby" lingerie outfits with stockings and appliers, you can't use them.  It is like wasting 300L if you will have a great skin match, nailpolishes and stockings.

I will absolutely watch this product, and try a demo. No demo on the marketplace, maybe in store?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.