Shape Question

ChampagneStar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is very easy to achieve on your own...have you gone into appearance and fooled around with the sliders?  Might take a day or so of tinkering with whatever shape you have, but it's really easy to do.  Just remember, that whatever skin you use can influence the way you look with your shape.  Some skins will look better then others.  Always get skin demos before deciding which to purchase :)  Good luck!!!

Following a basic set of proportions will help you get a shape to not have that 'shelf - butt' that's so common in clubs...

Both Penny and I have guides on that.

Mine's in my sig.

I put out a free female shape of normal scale height, but she was made before I started doing proportions - so the visual guess on her is off and I need to do an update. For now, I would suggest getting the shape Penny just noted above.

It will already be proportionate, and you can use my guide as you tweak parts of it to personal taste.

You are welcome to stop by my shop it is in my picks page. There might be something there you like. (Oh and they are all 0 Linden.) If not I can try to make something if you send me a photo  (not a link, a photo in world) of the type of real life shape you have in mind. I don't want to promise an exact replica, but it will give me an idea what you mean.

It would not be full perm or for you only or for sale. I might use it in my shop later if I like how it turns out though. If I do not hear from you I will assume you found something else.

You can probably find some modifable shapes that are pretty good, then modify one of them until it's prefect for you.This is what I did when I was new, then I kept tweaking my shape. Sometimes I've made my shape heavier to look more like the real me, then made it thinner again to look good in SL clothing. Same with height. I always shrink down for 1920's Berlin, then end up getting taller again to fit into some clothing later. That's one big advantage of a modifiable shape, that you can change it any time & then change it back again (if you keep a back-up version). I've found a few shape designers ever sell both a modifiable version and a non-mod version, so you can change the shape however you wish, then go back to the original version if you mess up the modifiable one. If you decide you want a more realistic shape, I suggest looking at a mirror or photograph & taking note of how long normal arms & legs are, & where ears, mouth & nose are in relation to each other. Facial settings near 50 are usually more attractive, but I set my cheekbones higher because I have high ones in RL.

If you have multiple shapes based on the same one, I would name each one differently and put it in a separate folder by that name. Then you can just wear it when you need to, instead of modifying it every time you need it.

Most modifyable shapes are also copyable.

That was more to the OP than you but it applies to anyone.

Oh and if you are going to modify it so much and 'tweak' it so much why not just start with the system shape? Then at least what you end up with is really yours. Inventory/Create/New Shape. Wear it and go from there.

ChampagneStar wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get female shapes that are petite (5,5 and under), but with full hips (not huge like the "ghetto" shapes though), and soft facial features? I'm on a budget too, so anything 300L or less would be really good.Thanks.

i actually just finished mine  hehehe  it's 5'1..and really i asked people if i looked like a child and so far nobody said i did...they just said i looked like a petite or small lady LOL

i was sure being 5'1" would get me in trouble in some sims  because of how some are scared of smaller avatars..but really most have been really nice so far =)

it was fun doing it myself..i hadn't messed with making a shape since 2006 for myself..

the nice thing about it is you most likely won't see anyone else with it hehehhe

so skins will look a bit more unique..

here is the one i just finished up the other day..

new shape 6.png

If you would like to try your hand at making your own shape, I've written a guide to help people better understand proportion and the appearance editor.

"A Matter of Proportion"

I'm thinking of revisiting the topic with a series of posts about how to achieve specific body types (super model, musclebound, plump, etcetera) by manipulating proportions, but in the meantime this article covers all the basic essentials. Making your own shape really isn't difficult, just very time consuming.

I also sell a couple shapes in addition to the free one I mentioned, just follow the "related item" links at the bottom of the free shape's marketplace page.

There are great suggestions and lots of help in this thread - I am going to post this pic just for good measure because being way out of proportion will make you look freaky but of course there is room to be creative and sl is a bit different due to camera angle and default sizes...

Proportions.JPG

I knew my avi had a proportioning issue as she was tall, but after reading your blog pussycat and having a go with an backup copy, she appeared to have more issues then i thought :matte-motes-mad:

So from 1.89 (exodus avi heigh(edit mode)) i just went to 1.77, it`s still 8.5 head times length, but i`m keeping it at this as she doesn`t have a long chin like most creators do :)

After getting penny`s freebie shape, as your anatomy made me go "uhm", her shape appeared to be exactly as you described on the blog.
So....i took a ruler and started to measure myself and *facepalm* 

2 hours after fiddling with the anatomy she looks abit human again, even had to use the shoe base for my boots lol
The arm length i kept abit shorter then the height (~90%), to much of a leap from "freak" :matte-motes-silly:

One of the things about art is sometimes exact measurements 'seem' right but do not 'look' right. A version of the uncanny valley effect maybe. Have you ever tried to 'copy' a drawing or tried to draw a portrait using 'exact' measurements or what looks like the exact shapes? The effect is usually dull and misshapen. 

If you try for the spirit of the portrait or the illusion of the shapes or measurements it comes out better. I believe that someone either has the eye for that or they don't. You can improve with practice though.

Shapes made with so called rules look odd to me. With basic rules of thumb in mind then go for your own aesthetic values and your own instinct.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.