Scripts not functioing in outfit.

Faundling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I finally come across a problem ive never heard about and that I can find a solution for s.. Anyways problem is that scripts are not functioning at all which is equiped to this one outfit. Im not talking about parcels that doesnt allow scripts. Guess it happened last night I dont know if the restarts effected anything. Ive tried other huds and scripts that wasn't in that one saved outfit they all work It also seems like under each script running has been unchcked.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Giaviona wrote:

you could also try to reset the scripts in it, you dont need mod rights to do that at all

You need the containing object to be modify, i've pointed that out already.  If the object is no mod, scripts can't be reset.

Which engenders the question, "Why are we prohibited from resetting scripts in 'no mod' objects?"

I'm sure there is a logic behind it but I sure can't figure it out.

The permissions system is all about protecting Creator's rights and I can't see what is being protected here.

My first thought is - consumables.

For example, create something such as ammunition for role play, or restraints that one might have as unlimited ability to give but only work once.

The script will count the instances of use and once the count is up, item goes dead.  If you could reset the script, it wouldn't be able to maintain the state of the variable and resetting would set it back to 0 ready for full use.

Another example might be a demo item that is full function but limited time for use, say 1 day.  Same as above, resetting scripts wouldn't allow that to be maintained without recourse to an external database keeping state.

These are somewhat specific cases though and beyond this, there aren't many reasons to stop someone resetting scripts but similarly, there aren't many reasons to make an item no modify in the first place.  *rant rant whine whine* :)

Sassy Romano wrote:

My first thought is - consumables.

For example, create something such as ammunition for role play, or restraints that one might have as unlimited ability to give but only work once.

The script will count the instances of use and once the count is up, item goes dead.  If you could reset the script, it wouldn't be able to maintain the state of the variable and resetting would set it back to 0 ready for full use.

Another example might be a demo item that is full function but limited time for use, say 1 day.  Same as above, resetting scripts wouldn't allow that to be maintained without recourse to an external database keeping state.

These are somewhat specific cases though and beyond this, there aren't many reasons to stop someone resetting scripts but similarly, there aren't many reasons to make an item no modify in the first place.  *rant rant whine whine*
:)

OK, these make sense, though very specific case scenarios.

I am however in agreement with you about things that are needlessly set to 'no mod.'

For those narrow case scenarios it would be nice if there was an individual function that allowed you to set a script so it couldn't be reset. 

Sassy Romano wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

For those narrow case scenarios it would be nice if there was an individual function that allowed you to set a script so it couldn't be reset. 

Indeed "no reset" and "no change run state" permissions.

and i'd almost risk a bet that this has been asked for many times over   ;)

It is said that SL is really unstabile and that scripts work wrong, revert or starts to behave odd . I can link you to that thread, hopefully you can get some ideas, especially in post #10. http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/94727-my-hands-dont-match-anymore.html

Now is a good time for stores to have a redelivery system set up. Try to go where you bought it and see if they have a redelivery terminal. If not, you can contact the seller and ask for a new delivery. It is best to save containers from the Marketplace in case something goes wrong, so you can unpack and use a fresh copy without having to contact the seller.

I agree that no modify sucks... but as SL is acting now, perhaps not even resetting would help. Getting a fresh copy and deleting the old is often the quickest way to solve a problem.

Marianne Little wrote:

It is said that SL is really unstabile and that scripts work wrong, revert or starts to behave odd . I can link you to that thread, hopefully you can get some ideas, especially in post #10.

Now is a good time for stores to have a redelivery system set up. Try to go where you bought it and see if they have a redelivery terminal. If not, you can contact the seller and ask for a new delivery. It is best to save containers from the Marketplace in case something goes wrong, so you can unpack and use a fresh copy without having to contact the seller.

I agree that no modify sucks... but as SL is acting now, perhaps not even resetting would help. Getting a fresh copy and deleting the old is often the quickest way to solve a problem.

Post #10 sounds like that for some reason the changed state is not getting saved on the Server.

I do wonder if there could be any correlation between that thread and a lot of the recent inventory data base maintenance we have seen recently.  Just a thought.  Linden's don't seem to ever want to tell us what's going on.

Sassy Romano wrote:

You don't need permissions to view the script in order to change it's run status, as long as the overall object is modify.  If it's not then **bleep** (<- stupid auto censor "female dog") and complain at the creator for selling no mod junk.

I am sure that allowing everyone to see their scripts and modify is something all HUD creators want to do. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.