Primwear or Sculptwear?

Suspiria Finucane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When talking about avatars it's hard not to think of what you wear on your avatar.

Sculpts are very popular but many people have rez issues (grey balls) with them whereas prim show up instantly with some occosaions where textures not loading show as grey.

Personally, I wear a combination of both sculpt and prim leaning more to the prim side for faster loading.

What do you use? Add a photo to show us your wearable style :smileyhappy:

Sculpt boots and the rest prim.

Red Sass.JPG

I seem to be more attracted to sculpted prims more than regular prims, but each has it's place. I'm much more concerned with script count.

I can't tell you how much better my SL experience has become since I started regularly monitoring the amount of scripts and their memory usage in my attachments.

...Dres

ETA - the obligatory pic...

Leather_vest_@_home_w_cig.png

Mostly sculpties.

Honestly I love the organic shapes of some of the new primwear and how it can really add to to an outfit.  My main concern is the grey ball syndrome occurring in a PG SIM and revealing too much.  So I'm always careful to select suitably modest undergarments when I know I'll be visiting such places.

I have loads of sculpty boots that I love to bits, with shapes that could never be achieved using prims.  But oddly my favourite boots are still the first ones I ever bought (long before scuplties were introduced).  They are Lilith boots by Dark Eden and seem to go well with so many outfits it is scary.

I posted a piccy of the aforementioned boots below :)

Lilith Boots

I always go for as less as possible sculpts and prims, the hair and boots are about the only prims I have constantly on my av.

People have said "hey noob" probably because mostly I don't even have my AO on. lol

Only reason I do this is cos I've seen some people appear on a sim, causing tremendous amounts of lag, also creating chat lag with delays of over a minute, if the text appears at all.

When I had a look at those avatars, I always noticed how many prims their hair, boots and belts were, not to mention those who walk around with robot or dragon avatars etc.

These lag monsters annoy me and I don't want to be the one causing such lag.

Every attached prim, wether sculpt or not, causes lag, as does every script in HUDs and other attachments.

(Don't have a decent picture to add).

Insaniac, I think the lag is caused by scripts in the stuff people are wearing. It is so hard to find modifiable clothes these days, no matter if they are prims or sculpts. A resizer don't make the things modifiable, only resizeable.

I bet that 99 of 100 avatars don't delete the scripts in their clothes/hair/boots/jewlery after they adjusted it. And why should they do it, because then they can never resize it again if they decide to change shape? The alternative is to take a copy of every single part, create a new folder and name it backup copy and honestly... that's too much work for your average avatar. Then they walk around and complain about lag. Honey,,.. YOU are the lag.

I am so grateful for all who sell modifiable things, they save me all that work about making backup copies. This outfit has modifieable hair from Truth, modifiable jacket from Mr.Poet, unscripted earrings, a single low lag script in the prim nails to lock the hands, and boots where I deleted the scripts. I also use an AO that don't use a lot of script memory and stopped to use Mystitool, since that is really packed with scripts. Oops, my lashes look like I  had a mascara accident. :smileywink:

coat collage.jpg

I definitely lean more toward sculpt attachments for clothing, because they achieve the kind of shape that isn't possible with regular prims unless you use a bajillion prims together. I didn't realize I leaned toward sculpts until this question came up and made me review the outfits I've blogged.

outfit sculpts.jpg

One of my most beloved stores in SL is Bare Rose, and she relies *heavily* on sculpts. It does take a few moments at times to get everything to rez, but it's just one of those things in SL that I accept; the results are worth the inconvenience <3

bare rose.jpg

I honestly don't give it much thought; I just wear what looks good.  Like Dresden, I am more concerned with script count.  It may take me 30 to 60 seconds before I res on other people's screens when I tp in, but at least I can tp in :)

And speaking of Dresden ...

heart_beat-2503.gif

You look  delicious!

I would say a mixture of primwear and sculptwear, whichever looks best for a particular look.

It's common knowledge that too many attachments cause unecessary lag. I bought a prim oven recently which turns ordinary prims into sculpt maps and its great.

I can group together 16 prims and they come out as one sculpt map. Surely thats a good thing :-)

In my opinion the perfect combination is sculptwear with prims to add detail, so one compliments the other.

PS. My pet hate is no mod sculpts especially for legs on jeans (resizer is totally useless sometimes) and no mod sculpt collars on shirts (its tough to fix when you are well endowed in the chest department ) lol :P

Cait

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.