Newbie Question - hair

faryewing2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it is something about your graphic card...but I am not sure. - My hair disappears too, though, when I tp, and I have learned to just click with the right side of the mouse on my head, as soon as I get to the location...and woops, the hair appear very fast again :)

It's probably not anything you did at all. SL takes a LOT of computer power, a strong graphics card, and a completely steady, strong internet connection to run at 100% (and even then, there are glitches). 

This happens to me, as well, but usually it reappears within a second or two of arrival without having to do anything on my end. Sometimes I will have to right click things to get them back, but it's rare lately. It used to be quite frequent, but I haven't changed anything, so it resolved itself, apparently. 

I don't know of a permanent fix for the issue, but hopefully it isn't too bothersome, and you can live with it.

You're doing nothing wrong. There are two reasons hair seems to take the scenic route during teleports.

1) Hair can be terribly graphically intensive. My simple do has 250 or so sculptie prims in it. That's more geometric complexity than my SL lighthouse and all its furnishings.

2) There is piece of viewer magic called the "interest list" which lists all the stuff your viewer thinks should be visible to you. For some reason, things that are pretty important, like the walls of my house or my left pant's cuff, go missing from the list, and as Ariel says, I must then right-click where the missing thing should be to remind the viewer that I really am interested in that thing being on my interest list.

If this is the only annoyance SL is throwing at you, you're living a charmed existence.

;-).

I get two similar but subtly different issues with hair. The sculpt-and-flexi hair I normally wear follows the same rules Ariel and Maddy mention: it vanishes (quite often, only part of it) on landing and is restored with a right-click. Mesh hair (and other mesh attachments in general) vanish after a teleport and are restored by camming out and back in again. This version can be especially worrying when all I'm wearing is mesh and I arrive apparently naked in the middle of a crowd.

Either way, it's better than 2007(-ish) when you would teleport and all your attachments could migrate to your butt.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.