New

deralloc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Was wondering why with the new mesh bodies sl is giving new people why you cannot put on a different skin. When i put on the new skin i bought nothing changes about my appearence even tho i also have a new shape i put on. what's up with that? do i forever have to look like the person i signed on as? Please help!

There are new the starter avatars, which we call mesh bodies or just mesh avatars. There are also the older avatars which we call classic avatars. The classic avatar skeleton and skin are the base avatar. To use a new mesh body the skin of the classic avatar is hidden using alpha layers.

Clothes and skin made for the classic avatar apply a texture/image to the mesh surface that makes up the skin of the classic avatar, which we usually just refer to as the system (original) skin.

If you use GIMP or Photoshop you are familiar with layers. In the classic avatar the skin is the bottom layer. On top of that we composite the tattoo, undershirt, shirt, and jacket layers. On top of that the mesh avatar places a new mesh surface. The two surfaces are so close to the same position we hide the surface used for the classic avatar, so it doesn't show when it pokes through mesh avatar surface - which it does as the avatar moves. Its a basic limitation of modeling and animating all 3D avatars in any world.

The system always applies system skin, tats, shirt, etc. to the system or classic skin.

Special skins and clothes are needed for use with the mesh avatar. With mesh clothes another mesh surface is placed over both the classic and mesh skins. A top will fit over both. A mesh jacket will be another surface that fits over all the inner surfaces; shirt, skin.

We use 'Appliers' to place textures/images on the new surface that makes up the mesh avatar skin. We must composite the skin and clothes ourselves, if we want to place skin and clothes on the new avatar skin. But, it is intended that we use mesh clothes with a mesh avatar. So, in general we only place skin on the mesh skin.

Unfortunately, skins made for the classic avatar won't work with the mesh avatar. The skin makers are modifying classic skins they made and are making to work with Appliers they build to put the skins on the new mesh avatars.

Mesh clothes are used with the new mesh avatars.

If all this seem unnecessarily complicated... you're sort of right and the thinking is understandable. But, the necessity for it comes from the Lab's habit of making all new things as backward compatible as possible. We expect these complication to be removed in the coming SL2.

To apply skins to the new SL mesh avi, you have to use appliers, just like you do for the ones from Belleza, Lena, Slink, etc. Problem is THERE IS NO DESIGNER KIT for the SL mesh avis for inworld designers to work from SOOOO. No skins you can add, no makeup, nothing. You can wear things that attach like mesh clothing and hair, but that's about it. Ditch it and go with the classic. If you decided you want a mesh avi, you'll have to pay to get a decent one from one of the inworld makers that also have the kits so skin makers, clothing makers, etc can do something with them.

Here is one way you can get rid of that mesh default avatar:

1. open current outfit (worn) folder and right click on each item and detach (take off) everything except blank skin, blank hair, blank eyes, and the shape.

2. Search in your inventory for “bald”, you should find something that says boy next door bald or something similar (the icon looks like a profile of a face), and right click and wear that (it gets rid of that weird helmet hair)

3. Now you can put on any regular skin, eyes, hair, clothes etc…
You can also find yourself a modifiable shape that you like and wear that also.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.