New to the game!

raikarmx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

raikarmx wrote:

I'm new to the game and super struggling with my avater. Anyone know how I could get a hold of a good shape and some clothes? 

That sort of depends on what is a good shape (and clothes) to you, because it might not be the same as it is to me..

My best idea would be Marketplace.. you will find everything you need there (+ a whole lot more lol)

Welcome to Second Life raikarmx

Here is a link to Marketplace 

There are many places you can go to obtain free complete avatars, or components to allow you to customize your appearance.   One such place is Caledon Oxbridge University.   They have a selection of pre-made avatars for you to choose from, and you can mix and match the outfits and components easily.

http://www.caledonoxbridge.org/

Oxbridge is a great place for newcomers to Second Life as well, as they have a great tutorial area, friendly staff, and hold various classes about topics in Second Life.. all for free.

You can visit Caledon Oxbridge directly here:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon%20Oxbridge/92/198/28

Of course, don't forget that you already have a massive amount of free content in your inventory to choose from, and much of it can be adjusted or modified to give you a unique appearance.   The tutorials and classes at Oxbridge can help you learn to use this inventory.

I very strongly suggest making your own shape. Your shape, in particular the face, is where you can express 'you' as you wish to be in SL.

Almost every single commercial shape available in SL is horribly distorted with wakced out limb lengths (T-rex arms and spider legs being a norm, and butts either bigger than Texas or smaller than a higgs-boson particle. Scientists spent decades looking for the smallest particle in creation, when all they had to do was log into SL and look at some avatar butts...)

Its a world of extremes.

You may or may not be an artist, I have no idea, but in my signature I have a guide that can help you get a body that has sensible proportions. Use that to make your body shape, then go wild on the face to get a look you personally feel 'at home' with.

Also before you become attached to things like having body fat of 97 and boobs of 3 with love handles of 54... when making your own shape it would be VERY WISE to pick a 'standard size' for the 8 (9 for men) shape dials where this matters, so that you can enjoy mesh clothing once you get far enough to start fashion-hunting:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/mesh-clothes-dont-care-if-youre-tall-or-short-thick-or-thin-they-care-about-stretch/

http://bloggingsecondlife.wordpress.com/the-stores-creators-lists/mesh-stores-using-standard-sizing/

- This might seem odd right now, given that I just wrote to make your own shape. But if you can fit just 8 of your dials into one of those sizes NOW before you get attached to a look, you will save yourself a world of headaches down the road. The people who have shapes with those 8 dials different have more or less been locked out of using most new clothing in SL for the past 3 years, and 'Fitted mesh' that was their 'holdout solution' has not fixed the issue. Right now you will likely have zero interest in mesh clothes - but you might someday, and if so, its best to be ready in advance.

For skins - shop around a LOT. Its fine to get something free for now, but this is one of two places I feel everyone should 'spend for quality'.

Figure out what 'ethnicity' you're going for, and shop around, then budget about 500-1000L for the right skin, and not the one that screams 'noob', even if you are a newbie. :)

The other thing everyone should 'spend for quality' on is an Animation Override. Or more accurately, the actual animations. You will quickly notice in SL that your avatar walks funny, your arm will shoot out at random angles when you click stuff, and you'll look like a 'goof' when talking, typing, or standing.

Meanwhile all around you people will be doing amazing poses or have smooth walks and nice animations when they talk, type, fly, sit, etc...

- Visit animation shops, get the animations you like, and be unique.

For a new person, just get a 'free' animation override off the marketplace. Once you have a few friends, ask them to help you in customizing it. Buying your own individual animations is the step you want to make after you've been here about a month. The freebie will last until then to keep you from looking like a 'noob'.

Getting a good skin - do that in week one.

Kelli May wrote:

It depends enormously on what kind of avatar you'd like. The two biggest questions I'd pose are:

Human or furry?

And before you dismiss furry:

http://www.slarf.org/

Check out some of the reviews of what kinds of furry avatars exist in SL (granted none of the ones in the review are 'newbie priced' - so this is more of a 'your second upgrade in looks' thing).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.