Mesh - What 'new' avatars does this make possible.

Mags Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First I have to confess that I'm a real dumbo about things like this, but there's all this talk about mesh coming to the grid. I kind of 'get' what that means for builds/prims but how about avatars. What does mesh mean for avatars - and is there something in particular you would love to see happen? :smileyindifferent:

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Mesh clothing will be good! You should be able to apply gravity and cloth settings and the like to the items.

It should allow for greater accuracy for all inworld items. But I am no 3d expert. (yet:)

Gravity to clothes would be good - I think someone said that hair might no longer 'invade' the avi as it does now as well - also a cool feature.

I was thinking more about whether this will make a greater range of avatars possible - or if they will be more realistic - as in better feet etc. :smileyhappy:

Mags Indigo wrote:

First I have to confess that I'm a real dumbo about things like this, but there's all this talk about mesh coming to the grid. I kind of 'get' what that means for builds/prims but how about avatars. What does mesh mean for avatars - and is there something in particular you would love to see happen? :smileyindifferent:

What hopefully will happen is we can create our own mesh avatars and stop using the 10 year old system mesh for avatars. :smileyhappy:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

What hopefully will happen is we can create our own mesh avatars and stop using the 10 year old system mesh for avatars. :smileyhappy:

The problem as I understand it will be that clothes will have to designed for a particular mesh.  Unless some new "standard" mesh becomes popular it might be difficult or impossible to find a lot of outfits for the new meshier you (sorry I could not resist using meshier in a sentence).  So unless one plans to run about nekie, mesh may not be the final answer.

I rather hope the Lindens might revisit the issue of a better AV mesh and create a new standard, but that might be too much to wish for.

I don't know about anyone else, but my first test of the mesh implementation when it arrives on the main grid will be to rig and upload all the parts of my AV shape model... that way I can hide the actual AV and make the mesh "me" that's seen semi-transparent and ghost-like. Always wanted to create a ghostly aparition AV, but since they  totally screwed up the alpha layer implementation by not allowing actual "alpha gradients or transparencies" like a real alpha, I'll have to attempt it the more difficult way with mesh. I somewhat expect that meshes also will fall short of many peoples expectations, but that's what happens when the failure happens at the implementation stage of these sort of things.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.