Making your own shape

robin Meridoc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya people!

I've just put a new post on my blog titled, 'Making your own shape'...  *grins*    I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about this post.  Shapes are very personal things, and I hope I have managed to avoid the minefields of seeming to criticize and still provide some useful information.  I also use myself as a model... go take a look and you'll see.  *winks*

Here's the link:

Robin's Making Stuff Blog

robin

I agree with Daz: good job explaining how to make an attractive shape Robin. ;)

I spent countless hours tweeking the sliders to get the look I want. It was a lot of fun and I think that those who choose to buy a shape miss out on that fun. The same goes with physics. I've seen threads were the majority of the women say that they don't even bother with physics, that it's to complicated and that the amount of bounciness looks different on different viewers. I didn't think that adjusting my physics to look realistic was all that difficult. I don't have much $L so I wear a freebie skin, freebie hair & eyes, etc. My bare feet were given to me. The only things I've actually paid for are my prim nails, girlie bits and the Mama Allpa hud. Haven't had a chance to play with the pregnancy look because I've yet to find a guy the least bit interested in the male version. I even offered to buy it for my current sl bf and it was no go. Even with a homemade shape & freebie stuff I think that my avvie is as attractive as those people have paid thousands of $L for. I have an alt that I've made taller & purposefully less attractive, with a squarer jaw & an ugly skin, but she's supposed to be a Jötunn rather than human. Anyway, sounds like you've had fun working on your shape & good job explaining to people how to make their avvie look nice. 

Jeanne

Hi Victoria!  Thanks for the kind words.  :)

I think the place to start with the face sliders is actually the head.  In particular the head shape.  That set's the base, the foundation, on which the rest is built. If you look from the side, and draw a line from the forehead to the chin, one extreme has a more vertical line and the other extreme has more sloped line with the forehead further back and the mouth and lips further foreward..  The more vertical seems to most often have a square-ish head shape, and one with more of a slope has a longer, more eliptical head shape.

Then, in getting into the face itself, there are some gender markers to think about.  A male face will often have a larger jaw (longer chin) and heavier brow ridges.... "larger" and "heavier" here mean in relationship to the general population in which that facial type is found.  Conversely, a female face will have a smaller jawbone (chin) and lighter brow ridges - again, relative to the population in which they're found. 

One thing I have played with as I experiment with shapes is trying to make a caucasian face (northern european... my usual), a sub-saharan-african face, and an asian (Han chinesse) face.  Its not easy at all.... perhaps I'll try to create a post on my experiments in that area sometime in the future.

robin

Yeah, and some sliders... I wonder whether they actually do anything. I've moved some between 0 and 100 and not seen any difference at all.

On the other hand, I have this skin I love. With one shape I have high cheekbones, and with another shape none at all. I've played with EVERY slider that could do something about that, including eye depth, puffy eyes, cheek bones, and what all... but "no joy" as they say in the military.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.