Just joined Second Life, log-in Avatar (vampire) won't change when I try to edit

FlorenceBascom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just joined Second Life.   I used to be here a few years ago, so I got one of the new avatars.  When I try to edit the skin or shape, it remains identical to the original-- nothing changes.  I went to a store and tried on a skin demo, but when I wore it, it wasn't visible, so the the avatar's appearance remained unchanged..

I don't like the way this avi looks (when I chose it, I really couldn't see the face at all, it was so tiny).  But so far I haven't been able to make even the slightest alterations in its appearance, especially the face.  The only possible  exception was that the face length shifted.  That was it.  None of the other options changed the face shape, cheekbone height, mouth position, eye shape, etc

I'm not sure what to do next. 

thanks! 

FlorenceBascom

Welcome back. It sounds as though you've got one of the new "improved" mesh avatars. If you look in your Library folder in your inventory, there are a load of the older classic style avatars. Replace your mesh av with one of the classic ones, and you should be able to see your skin demo when you wear it, and make changes to your shape.

It's a dreadful first impression for people new to SL, I think.

if you mean the "clubgoer girl" or 'girl next door: and those, I've tried and tried to get either the shape or the skin on and nothing vests. 

Could there be some weird glitch with this avi?  All I did was log in and basically try to change the thing. 

I'm just about to retry another identity.  But I'd rather not.  I just can't keep on with this much longer.

I've tried rebake-- not that I see what good that would do-- but it also doesn't work.  what a bizarre logjam. 

thanks for your help, though!

Maybe a stupid question, and then forgive me...but have you tried to relog, before changing skin and shape?...Today it is Tuesday, and strange things can happen during the rolling restart of Linden Lab....

...and are you sure you are not still wearing something from the mesh-shape? You can see that, if you press the worn-tab in your inventory.

FlorenceBascom wrote:

if you mean the "clubgoer girl" or 'girl next door: and those, I've tried and tried to get either the shape or the skin on and nothing vests. 

The vampire av you are wearing is "mesh" which means you can not change the shape or skin of it.

Could there be some weird glitch with this avi?  All I did was log in and basically try to change the thing. 

You need to remove the mesh av and then wear the standard ones.

I'm just about to retry another identity.  But I'd rather not.  I just can't keep on with this much longer.

I've tried rebake-- not that I see what good that would do-- but it also doesn't work.  what a bizarre logjam. 

thanks for your help, though!

Hi and welcome back. I just post this tutorial here: http://www.caledonoxbridge.org/gazette/2014/08/02/avatars-reload/

It directly deals with the problem created by the so-called "new and improved" mesh avatars. You who are familiar with edit appearance will only have to browse through this. It is important to get totally rid of the mesh avatar. Only "wearing" another skin or shape does not give a visible change, since these body parts is hidden by mesh now.

Of course LL employees in SL have zero interest in changing their appearance, I am sure they thought mesh avatars that can not  change appearance was a great idea... yeah...

More to read for those specially interested: http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/05/second-lifes-new-mesh-avatars.html

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.