Is there any need for having multiple clothing layers of the same item?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the past, when we had no tattoo layer, and we could only weae one of each clothing item, it made sense to have multiple layers of the same item.  If you want to be able to wear the tail out or tucked in, it still sometimes makes sense to have a top on both jacket  and -shirt+pants layers because rhe former is on top of the pants layer, but the latter can be inside another one.

Now that we can wear multiple items on the same layer, and can control which is onb top by the order in which we add them, there is far less need for the multiple layes.  If an item will always be beneath all others, then the underwear layer alone should always suffice.  If it will always be outside all others, then the jacket or pants layer alone should. If it will never be the outermost layer, then therre should never be a need fotr the jacket layer.

I am undertaking a major inventory cleanou and, before I undertake wholesale deletions, make sure there's noit something I'm overlooking.

It's up to you and how you wear your clothing., If you find you don't use the layers then by all means delete them. One other option though would be to box them up in a box labeled Extra layers for  X outfit. Then create a box called clothing layers and put those boxes in that box. Then you'll have them, just in case. You have to put the outfits in separate boxes since you can't put folders in boxes, btw.

The jacket layer is unique since it covers above and below the waist. The skirt layer is also unique because it doesn't "paint" on your avatar. Other than that, all items of clothing could be on the same layer. I have had a bra, cami, and shirt on one layer and it worked OK. as for Dresdon's suggestion (made in jest, I assume), you simply put on your pants first and underwear second.

Marybeth

grr posting from my phone and no edit on my posts.

All I was trying to say is with make ups tattoo layers are often quite full and sometimes some underwear sets can require layering items in underwear and shirt slots In my experience the more you put on one slot the greater the chance of a bake fail. I would be very reluctant to even store layers away I am not currently using.

Marybeth Cooperstone wrote:

The jacket layer is unique since it covers above and below the waist.

In additon  -

The jacket layer is also unique in that it's the only upper layer that correctly hides the waist seam.

On the standard avatar, the 'hip' will show through on one side with the shirt and undershirt layers. I've not tested tattoos or alpha layers in this.

I'm fairly sure this ancient thread explores the problem. It can be worked around - but it's worth remembering when considering the pros and cons of each type of layer.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

You never know when you might want to wear your underwear on the outside of your pants. :matte-motes-silly:

...Dres (Seriously... it could happen.)

Now I'm having Madonna flashbacks...

But yes - sometimes you have reason to flip the order of display.

I guess this is one advantage old system clothes have over mesh. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.