Is my Avatar Look Okay?

KarisalynnXOXO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most important thing is that you like her. You shouldn't care too much about what others prefer.

But if you like to hear my honest first impression: She looks like a typical new avatar in its first two months after learning how to customize the apperance.

I agree with what has been said. If you have gotten your look to a place where you are happy then you are set. In my experience people learn more and more about how to do things in world and they pick up new tips and tricks along the way. You explore and see fashions you like on others and talk to them about how they accomplished the look. In short, your own appearance will evolve as you spend more time in SL. One of the great "joys" of SL is looking back at pictures and just through your own memories about how you avatar has evolved. You should consider posting to this thread again 3, 6, 9 and 12 months from now just to see how your look evolves in that time. 

At the end of the day though, go with what feels and looks right to you.

As others have said, it's what YOU think that matters. Not what WE think. Of course many of us have been here a long time and know more about what's possible than you do, so your question has merit.

Here's how I looked two days after joining SL...

Maddy, April

I didn't look much better than that a month later. You're way ahead of me!

Here's how I look today. Still not much better, but better...

Maddy Profile Square.jpg

Do you notice any similarity between my early look and yours? Syo picked up on this as well. We both look like we just kissed a powdered sugar donut.

But don't worry about it. Some of us are a little wary of newbies that look "too good to be noob". We either suspect you're an old timer, sneaking back in after being banned for doing something naughty, or that you're an exceptionally fast learner with magnificent taste, to be avoided because you challenge our self confidence.

;-).

If your avatar is under 30 days old, you can pick up these skins for free! https://www.flickr.com/photos/mochimilena/14729534131/ All you have to do is search up Pink Fuel, teleport there and click on the vendor. You will see how much better these skins are in the details. You can also add on makeups if you want. I am not sure if you have money to shop for. Sometimes you can find free samples like this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/INSITU-GIFT-make-up-lips/5965648

Does she look okay? Absolutely. 

As others have said, though, you definitely a "typical newbie" vibe. There's nothing wrong with that, specifically, but there are something that you could change, if you want to. But the main thing is, are you happy with her? If you are, don't change anything! If you aren't, there are a few things you can do.

Are you under 30 days old in SL? There are many places that offer freebies of good quality for new avatars. Someone already linked you to Pink Fuel's 30 day freebie skin (shape included, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to). Apple May Designs (just do a search inworld, you'll find it) has a discount room upstairs, and within that room is a smaller freebie room for young avi's. You can pick up some nice freebie clothing there, as well as a skin. 

There's also FabFree, a wonderful blog full of pictures of and links to quality free items. Be aware that not every item there is free, but most are at least very cheap. 

Many designer-specific groups offer freebies to their customers, and many of those are free to join. Other groups advertise free items for a number of stores. Some are good quality, some are not as good, but you can get things and then delete anything you don't want.

And finally, check out Midnight Mania, Lucky Chairs, and Hunts.

MM is a board that you touch. Many stores have them. If enough people touch them, every person who did gets the item on it for free.

Lucky chairs have a letter on them. If the letter is the first letter of your username (NOT your display name), sit in the chair and win the item!

And hunts are...well, hunts. Stores join them and make a special item for them. Then they put that item inside a "box" that usually shaped like a specific object, and hide the box in their store. You "hunt" for that box, and get the item inside! Not all hunts are free, but many are.

You can get good items using any of those methods. Also, some not as good items. Shop around, and you can find items you never expected!

Hey Karisa,

So far your avatar is transitioning. As time goes by you will change and modify your avatar many times. Mainly because you will see other people will certain features and items that interest you and you will find many different items that are more current to SL human avatars. The most important question is > Do you like your avatar?

You may like it at the moment but as time goes on, you may find new items and new looks. Then you will change and adjust. So enjoy the process and have fun :matte-motes-big-grin:

everyone's avatar goes through the motions. I've gone through 30 different looks myself. just keep editting the shape and trying new skins that look like they might be good. I've settled on my latest skin for about 9 months now. Before that, I had the same skin for about two years and changed the shape here and there.

The key is finding a high quality skin that suits you and editing your shape the way you like it and figuring out how eye shape and size works with nose shapes and sizes. After working with things like Skyrim (with RaceMenu Mod) and Creation Kits for Fallout New Vegas, I can tell you it's hard to get the perfect look you want in SL. You can't raise or lower your eye position among other things. While it's very diverse and such, it could use at least 10 more sliders that I can think of off the top of my head and the sliders could all go a bit further.

But overall, a high quality skin texture will make the most difference. just make sure you play around with every single slider. I've noticed a lot of people tend to have what i called "50 Faces" because they leave most of the sliders at the default of 50. So just keep doing what you're doing and never stop upgrading your avatar. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.