I give up. D:

Millionaires

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Millionaires wrote:

<snip>

@Perrie.

"I realize people would breach copyright by remaking her, but
I cannot see the issue with it
."

I explained this, simply because half the stuff in this game is ripped from something, then they said they may have permission. So why doesn't this apply to this scenario? I don't see why you guys are so stuck up about it, I asked for help on finding the outfits, not stealing them.

</snip>

You want to know why I'm stuck up on it?

Because at one time I had a professsion.  And I lost my job to a bunch of petty little thieves like you.

I worked in the Music Industry during the Napster Plague.

Not for one of the "Big Evil Labels," but a small company.

We watched over the course of five years our sales drop 80%.

And everytime we turned around we kept finding the Indie Music we were trying to promote on Napster.

We invested time, money, heart and soul in getting that music out to people.  And then we got no return on our investment.  We were taking loss after loss.

And you know what happenned to those Indie Bands?  We watched them go from being full time musicians to having to take day jobs in order to live.  And then their music dried up.

And now many people complain about how bad music has gotten today.  Well, there's your reason why.

Because of a bunch of petty little thieves like you.

Is that plain and simple enough for you.

You came here and asked for help finding something and then essentially said I don't care if I have to steal it in order to get it.

Well **bleep** you.

Just to add one rather pedantic note here as it's something that grates.

It's not copyright theft.  Theft is the act of taking and carrying away property with the intention of permanently depriving the original owner of the possession.

Copyright is infringed, not stolen!

:matte-motes-nerdy:

I have never in my life actually pirated something, I buy all my games at EBGames and all my music at iTunes/in-store.

Quit your assumptions, I asked if the outfit was avaliable to use, am I using it? No.

@Sassy

Thank you for actually being kind and making your post like a mature human being. :)!

Millionaires wrote:

I have never in my life actually pirated something, I buy all my games at EBGames and all my music at iTunes/in-store.

Quit your assumptions, I asked if the outfit was avaliable to use, am I using it? No.

@Sassy

Thank you for actually being kind and making your post like a mature human being.
:)
!

Well good for you.

The question though is are you seeing the issue now with ripped content?

And again, you did more than ask if the outfit was available.  It's there for everyone to read.

If you had said, yes, you all are right, I shouldn't be using something that I know ("know" being a key word here) is probably ripped content there would have never been the responses you got.  Instead you tried to justify it by saying,

"....everything in the MP essentially breaks this rule anyway, heck even this game does by providing music, movies and such. So don't wave that at me, when its not just this situation, this own game is pretty much stealing."

Certainly there is stolen content in SL, but I could point you to the "Creation" Sub Forum as well as the "Merchants" Sub Forum where  you can see the many people who work to develop content from scratch for SL.  Those are the people I support and buy from.

Millionaires wrote:

Quit your assumptions, I asked if the outfit was
available
to use, am I using it? No.

@Sassy

Thank you for actually being kind and making your post like a mature human being.
:)
!

Not a bad assumption if you ask me.. Your opening post " I realize people would breach copyright by remaking her, but I cannot see the issue with it." Basically saying, "I know it would be illegal to do, but I don't see the harm." Akin to Perries tale about music pirates.. They know it's illegal, but hey, where is the harm. Right?

And just to prove I am an A$$.. I found another typo for you.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Just to add one rather pedantic note here as it's something that grates.

It's not copyright theft.  Theft is the act of taking and carrying away property with the intention of permanently depriving the original owner of the possession.

Copyright is infringed, not stolen!

:matte-motes-nerdy:

Oh yeah?!

What if I crack into www.copyright.gov and fiddle with the database so it shows me as the owner of all the copyrights you filed?

Hmm?

;-).

Yeah I know you're just having a bit of fun but copyright is implicit.  Whatever a database happens to say, if I created the work and haven't transferred the rights, the copyright is mine, ALL MINE mwuahahaha :)

Proving it in a court of law is a different matter so we'd just have to have our legal council call to question the validity of the database if there were any such doubt.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Yeah I know you're just having a bit of fun but copyright is implicit. 

Yep, it's Trade/Service marks that are registered. So, I could steal your Trademarks.

I could also steal your identity!

;-).

Are you still trying to get your's back from Snugs?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Millionaires wrote:

<snip>

@Perrie.

"I realize people would breach copyright by remaking her, but
I cannot see the issue with it
."

I explained this, simply because half the stuff in this game is ripped from something, then they said they may have permission. So why doesn't this apply to this scenario? I don't see why you guys are so stuck up about it, I asked for help on finding the outfits, not stealing them.

</snip>

You want to know why I'm stuck up on it?

Because at one time I had a professsion.  And I lost my job to a bunch of petty little thieves like you.

I worked in the Music Industry during the Napster Plague.

Not for one of the "Big Evil Labels," but a small company.

We watched over the course of five years our sales drop 80%.

And everytime we turned around we kept finding the Indie Music we were trying to promote on Napster.

We invested time, money, heart and soul in getting that music out to people.  And then we got no return on our investment.  We were taking loss after loss.

And you know what happenned to those Indie Bands?  We watched them go from being full time musicians to having to take day jobs in order to live.  And then their music dried up.

And now many people complain about how bad music has gotten today.  Well, there's your reason why.

Because of a bunch of petty little thieves like you.

Is that plain and simple enough for you.

You came here and asked for help finding something and then essentially said I don't care if I have to steal it in order to get it.

Well **bleep** you.

This is so very sad, and makes me so angry.  Its the Special Snowflakes who think its fine for the "unimportant people" to be forced to donate their time, effort, and money to provide the Snowflakes with free stuff.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Yeah I know you're just having a bit of fun but copyright is implicit. 

Yep, it's Trade/Service marks that are registered. So, I could steal your Trademarks.

I could also steal your identity!

;-).

Are you still trying to get your's back from
Snugs?

I dont' have it.

Maddy couldn't give her identity away.

Though she's intimated she might steal Sassy's, she's really angling for a swap. Sassy would be better off without an identity than getting Maddy's in exchange.

You did ask that. The problem we're all finding is that you followed it up with "I know people would breach copyright by remaking her, but I cannot see the issue with it."

The answer is yes. The outfit IS available, and if you choose to help someone else break copyright by by purchasing it, that's your own problem. No, you won't have violated that copyright law yourself, but you would have knowingly purchased stolen content. (Which is against the law in and of itself, as a matter of fact.)

If you think the person selling the outfit has a license to do so, that's really easy to find out. Ask them to show it to you. They should have documentation for legal purposes. If they can't or won't show it, don't buy it. Simple. 

By the way, I found a full outfit for this character on the marketplace. Plus a few individual pieces. I'm not sure what you've been searching; it took me less than five minutes to come up with relevant results. Maybe not the best quality, I'll grant you, but results. 

We're all just trying to help. You might not like the way we're doing it, but that's all we want to do. Why not be unique and create your own, individual avatar, rather than an imitation of an already existing character? I'll bet you can come up with something stunning in its own right. 

I know this is going to sound really stupid and retarded; but isn't just easier (and better) to come up with your own concept and character as oppossed to having to be something that isn't of your own creation? It's easier to be yourself and it won't cause problems with copyright...

Or am I just really stupid in thinking it's better to try and fumble with some form of originality as oppossed to being a a-hole and infringing on someone's work (or stealling it)?

Pamela Galli wrote:

it is better. 

But not to those with an overweening sense of entitlement. The world owes them whatever they can beg, borrow, or steal. Because they deserve it.

So I am just a stupid sharkie with no real understanding of the "real world"... =/

Lame joking aside, I just don't see the appeal of using/stealing another character from a movie, game, or book not only because of copyright issues, but also because in a place like Second Life, there's just no room for personal expression at all when you're using a character that truly isn't yours. I just don't see how anyone could be so uncreative in this sense that they resort to using an acting through another character in place where virtually anything is possible in an endless choices/endless consequences sort of way. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I see avatars on SL as a big chunk of who that person is, rather than a collection of pixels and codes... Seeing someone just rip off another established character is just saddening...

But again, I'm just really stupid and don't see things like everyone else... In some form or another.

ArtieMacnar wrote:

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Trust me, Artie, most of us agree with you!

I'm pretty sure a lot of people do, but fankly, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and most with a mindset like mine are a rather quiet bunch.

Most of us do agree with you, I think. Even people like me who 'own' something that is probably in breach of copyright laws.

I found a costume/outfit in my first or second year and glommed it for a Halloween costume. I did wear if for Halloween 2009, but I have worn it (and have pictures here and there of me wearing it) several times since. It's an outfit made famous by a movie. One of the funniest movies ever made (one that in fact was so well loved that it is being re-released in some theaters right now in honor of its 30th anniversary). In my early days things like IP and copyrights never even crossed my mind. I just assumed anything went here; and that it was perfectly fine to bring any object/theme/idea/product you cared from RL to SL.

I now know better. I will probably still wear the outfit occasionally, since I love it so much. The one thing I will not do is whine if and when Columbia Pictures decides enough is enough and LL deletes it from my inventory.

I have, however, paid RL money for approved products in RL. One of my family members has a t-shirt I purchased that has the official shoulder patch as well as the words, "Back off, man. I'm a scientist!"

Edited to correct my incorrect spelling of 'occasionally' for perhaps the millionth time

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.