How to obtain a the color of the attachment points and alpha?

Wang Novelli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You need to turn on 'color under cursor'.  Where it is depends on your viewer.  You should find it under the Develop >Show Info.  To enable this menu, go to Me>Preferences, Advanced tab, and check "Show Developer Menu.  If you are not familiar with this menu I suggest you be careful what you click on other than this without first looking the menu up in the SL Wiki so you understand what the various options do. 

In Firestorm, it is in my quick set panel but I am not sure if it a default control there or if I put it there as a custom setting.

Once it is on you will see white numbers appear on the bottom of your screen.  This is showing the RGB values of where ever your cursor is.

To get the best result, set the sun to midday, turn off shadows and lights if you use them,  and get on a pose stand.  Cam very close to your skin and move the cursor to the average tone of the attachment point.  Then note the numbers on the bottom of your screen and enter them in the color picker.  You may still need to adjust the color a bit as skin is made up of a lot of different colors and tones.

Wang Novelli wrote:

thank you for you help,but  i means use script

There is a script for getting the color on a prim ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetColor ) but I've never heard of one for getting the color on an Avatar.

Matching skin tones has always been a trial and error effort.  And even when you get the RGB on a skin, when you apply that same number to an object it doesn't look the same because there is a difference between how light reflects off an Ava and the way it reflects off of a prim. 

Nalate's has a discussion of it here:

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/02/15/matching-skin-colors/

Nalate also has (had? I can't find it now) a long discussion on the problems gray scale causes with this also.

At best, getting the color under curser may get you close but you still will encounter a lot of trial and error in making a match.

You can also try an outside program calle Color Cop. You can find it at http://colorcop.net/download. You can practically choose the pixel you want with it. That's about the best you're going to get. Otherwise..it almost sounds as if you are trying to find a way to get the actual texture the skin maker made.

Most skin makers have appliers for the common attachments. Otherwise, you'll just have to do the best you can with the RGB values.

The area around the attachment point will not typically have a single solid colour, but a gradient texture...

So there's really no way to do what you're probably trying to do, automatically make some attachment blend with the area it's attached to.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.