Honored Resident
xcookiemonsterx

How to make a good looking avatar

Tutorial: How to make a good looking avatar without spending so much.

Well, to have a decent avatar, you're going to need a Full Avatar Pack, you can get these off the marketplace, stores like ZYRA,NOYA and, R.icelli sell them, they cost around 299L$ they come with skin, shapes, mabye outfits. Then after you got you're Base avatar you're going to want an AO(animation overider), you can find some Neat AO's down at Region: Kuso if you land on the ground and not in the store look on you're radar and ask someone to tp you up, and say thank you to them :smileyhappy:.Kuso provides a large range of AOs for male and female avatars for not a large price, mostly around 150-300L$.After you got you're AO you're gonna want some good Clothes and some good Hair, you can get some nice hair and clothes, at Region Freebies, and other freebie stores, just look it up on the search: Freebies.

Opinions are like noses, Everybody has them.
Ariel Vuissent

Re: How to make a good looking avatar

Reply to xcookiemonsterx - view message

xcookiemonsterx wrote:

Well, to have a decent avatar, you're going to need a Full Avatar Pack

Not true. I never bought a full avatar - I created my avi from bits and pieces. A shape from one place, a skin from another, eyes from another, clothes and hair from tons of different places...Many people make their own shapes by wearing a newbie shape or choosing "create new shape," and manipulating the sliders. The thing with full avatars is that they're generic. Everyone has access to those kits, so lots of people buy and use them. When you create your own shape, or even buy skin and shape separately, you end up with a more unique look. (Not entirely unique, but much moreso.)

It IS a good idea to get a new shape and skin. Skins can be found at freebie stores, but good quality skins are often found in the stores of major creators, as group gifts. Many of those groups are free to join. Shapes can also be found in freebie shops, but the truth is that it's better to go ahead and create your own, or - if you don't want to create on - invest some $L in buying one. There are some good freebie shapes to be found, as well; just make sure the shape is mod, so you can edit it to be more "you."

You're right about an AO; even a cheap, simple one can go a long way towards eliminating that "newb" look.

Savior hair is also great for cheap/free hair. Clothes can be found in any number of freebie shops. And of course, the marketplace is always good for a few freebies/cheapies.

Your intentions are good, and thank you for posting to help other newbies! But some of your information is inaccurate or incomplete, unfortunately. Again, though, thanks for the helpful post!

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!" --Lewis Carroll , "Alice in Wonderland"

Full avatars are OK for as a starting point for newbs that want to lose the newb look immediately with an instant avatar, or for people that don't want to take the time to put their own together, but your going to look like a lot of other people on the grid.  If individuality and/or a unique look is what you want, your better off putting one together on your own.  Its cheaper too because there is a lot of quality free things out there if you take the time to hunt them down.

Photobucket
Jesica Dragovar

Reply to Ariel Vuissent - view message

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

xcookiemonsterx wrote:

Well, to have a decent avatar, you're going to need a Full Avatar Pack

Not true. I never bought a full avatar - I created my avi from bits and pieces. A shape from one place, a skin from another, eyes from another, clothes and hair from tons of different places...Many people make their own shapes by wearing a newbie shape or choosing "create new shape," and manipulating the sliders. The thing with full avatars is that they're generic. Everyone has access to those kits, so lots of people buy and use them. When you create your own shape, or even buy skin and shape separately, you end up with a more unique look. (Not entirely unique, but much moreso.)

It IS a good idea to get a new shape and skin. Skins can be found at freebie stores, but good quality skins are often found in the stores of major creators, as group gifts. Many of those groups are free to join. Shapes can also be found in freebie shops, but the truth is that it's better to go ahead and create your own, or - if you don't want to create on - invest some $L in buying one. There are some good freebie shapes to be found, as well; just make sure the shape is mod, so you can edit it to be more "you."

You're right about an AO; even a cheap, simple one can go a long way towards eliminating that "newb" look.

Savior hair is also great for cheap/free hair. Clothes can be found in any number of freebie shops. And of course, the marketplace is always good for a few freebies/cheapies.

Your intentions are good, and thank you for posting to help other newbies! But some of your information is inaccurate or incomplete, unfortunately. Again, though, thanks for the helpful post!

I agree, I searched around online and found some skin template PSD files, after disecting and studying them I made my own skin and then using trial and error adjusted my shape to fit the skin, as for the rest, again trial and error until I found hair, eyes, makeup, ect that I like 

Serenityfirefly McMahon
Topics: 0

full avatars are ok, but in my opinion any i bought felt like they werent original or me... I started off going to the freebie places then bought some hairs skins etc and experimented with what i liked... Most places in SL have demo's people can try so that helps alot.. What i did for my avatar was started off with taunt hair, freebie skin clothes and shape.. upgraded my shape to a Rac One then from that i adjusted it and started to make my own ones i liked.... I then upgraded to the likes of calico and truth hair and bought redgrave skin... I personally didnt see the point in buying some boxed set... theres nothing wrong with them just not all peoples tastes :smileysad: i think if someone wants to start of with a decent avatar then they can search the market place and buy stuff free or search for freebies or actually deposit for what they want straight of.

What does not kill you, Makes you stronger.
jwenting
Topics: 5

pretty similar here. Started off with freebies and slowly modded and replaced them with more advanced (and expensive) stuff as I found things I really liked.

That way I didn't end up buying and discarding many different skins and stuff.

Honored Resident
septimusminimus

Meh. There's no free kit in a box that will give a catwalk-tier look. They're also, by nature, canned. On the other hand, they look far better than mystery sim freebies and the stock LL clothing. The better economical boxes stuff and discontinued premiums are sufficient enough that a new user can at least aclimate to the SL environment; some might find they prefer building to people, or that they're rarely on, and for them, the cheap clothing and goods may forever prove adequate.

Aethelwine

[ Edited ]

Well whilst the original post is wrong to say you need a full avatar pack, It is however good advice for creating a nice looking avatar, better than most you see on the grid and for not a lot of money.

For an Alt I went to Secret Passions, got a avatar pack for about 300l$, the maths teacher AO from Daiz Papp 150l$. I then fiddle with the shape a bit... (legs seemed ridiculously long, or was too tall). Bought a Truth hair and an ADN outfit or two, HOC for some shoes, Devicious for the free outfit with nice boots and after a couple of days got a 400l$ skin from pink fuel. Full look not much more than 1000l$, hardly any time spent shopping and faffing about and.ended up with an avatar as good as if not better than most you see around the place and no scouring of laggy freebie places for relative gems you would soon ditch and not be seen dead in later anyway.

Good enough for shopping in and not feeling embarassed in Coco, Icing, Graves or wherever you like to go shopping, anyway hehe

Ricky40
Topics: 116

ou can make a good looking avatar for cheap, almost free. Just start searching in market place for individual componets. Look in the 0 - 10 L section, when you get the peices you want, put them all together, and voila!