Good free male shapes?

Burlesquedoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm on the look out for some good free male shapes. I've searched the  market top to bottom and they just don't have much to offer, I've also looked at

http://www.slfreebies.info/page/15/

and Freebie Galaxy

and couldn't find anything.  I'm not fond of the big, broad torsoed, overly muscular shapes. I'm far more interested in something nicely toned with a pretty face. More of a simmer or jogger's body. Even femboy/sissyboy/girlyboy would be wonderful if you know where I can find one. Any help you could offer will be great.

Heaven's Gate has male skins and shapes that are much more "delicate" looking than the average SL male, and with the way their store is set up you'll probably be able to get one for free.  Are you new to SL? You can get free avatars at Heaven's Gate if  you're only a few weeks old. Also look for Ihatov. They're both Japanese stores which tend to be very generous with group gifts and "lucky" giveaways. Search for them.

The only thing you really need to try and find is the "skin." The "shape" - the underlying physical form - is completely under your control. You can use the built-in shape editor to modify a shape to where you want it - even the shapes from the default avatars.

I recommend you try making your own. That way you have only one person to blame if you don't like the shape.

Make different ones for different skins AND different hairbase/hair combinations.

Because the hairbase can make a huge difference to the way your face looks.

The Judge

/knows that one man's meat is another man's poisson.

The easiest feature that ANYONE can change is their shape. It takes months of work to learn and make hairs, skins and the like but just five minutes to right click on your avatar and edit your appearance. The controls are so simple to use and there are no software skills to learn. All you need to do is to adjust a numerical value somewhere between 0 and 100 for each body part. If you are happy with the way that you look, you can save your shape and take satisfaction from the fact that you are unique and you did it yourself. I would urge you to try editing your shape and tweak it so it looks exactly how you want it. It's incredibly simple to do. :)

Try this one. It is not free but 10L for both skin and shape. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Young-Boy-Avatar-Set-Promo-Dollarbies-ShapeSkin/2193107

Also Heartsick used to have 1-2 free male shapes out in their store. Not sure since they changed things. Heartsick also have group gifts often, including male skins+shapes and the group is cheap to join. Sometimes it's free to join, that is in between gifts, and 50L or so when it's a new gift. So you should join now if it's free. Their shapes are also what you look for, lean instead of bulky.

I like Heaven's Gate Neo shapes. They also offer free skins and last I looked, eyes and AO. They also have lots of lucky boards and group gifts. There is a slightly anime flavor to the faces, but the bodies are very proportionate and if you want to shop later and spend some L$ their prices are fair. They do offer a lot of freebies so I try to talk them up in my style cards too.

And, ahem, I have a free shapes shop. It is in my Picks. There are several male shapes of various types. I did one muscly tall guy but most are fairly realistic. Even the muscly guy (Erik) is not a triangle. Also, all my male shapes are made from the male avatar mesh. At least if you Ruth you don't grow boobs.

Dazler wrote:

The easiest feature that ANYONE can change is their shape. It takes months of work to learn and make hairs, skins and the like but just five minutes to right click on your avatar and edit your appearance. The controls are so simple to use and there are no software skills to learn. All you need to do is to adjust a numerical value somewhere between 0 and 100 for each body part. If you are happy with the way that you look, you can save your shape and take satisfaction from the fact that you are unique and you did it yourself. I would urge you to try editing your shape and tweak it so it looks exactly how you want it. It's incredibly simple to do.
:)

To do it WELL is another story.

• 2 weeks later...

I created a free "Average Man" shape for my Vitruvian Shapes line. Not only is it not the typical "manly man" caricature with the overdoen shoulder width, maxed out muscles and tiny head, but it was made to be completely proportional (as in, the proportions you'd find on the average real world man rather than the gimpishly short arms and stork like legs of most SL avatars) and entirely to scale (5'10"/178cm rather than the 7 to 8' tall avatars most men typically sport).

Of course, depending on where you go and what you like to do in SL these could all be considered pros or cons, but I made this particular shape free and entirely full perm for people to try out and share. It's perfect for sims like Doomed Ship or 1920's Berlin where realistic, well proportioned shapes are encouraged. For the average welcome area or dance club 5'10" would make you shorter than most of the women.

Dazler wrote:

The easiest feature that ANYONE can change is their shape. It takes months of work to learn and make hairs, skins and the like but just five minutes to right click on your avatar and edit your appearance. The controls are so simple to use and there are no software skills to learn. All you need to do is to adjust a numerical value somewhere between 0 and 100 for each body part. If you are happy with the way that you look, you can save your shape and take satisfaction from the fact that you are unique and you did it yourself. I would urge you to try editing your shape and tweak it so it looks exactly how you want it. It's incredibly simple to do.
:)

It's easy to make a shape. Unfortunately, Linden Lab made it unnecessarily difficult to make a good shape. The appearance editor is set up, and broken, in such a way that it requires the user to have  a professional artist's understanding of scale and human proportion to make a good shape, as well as a thorough understanding of the quirks and bugs of the appearance editor.

For example, because LL skewed women's arms shorter than men's, it is actually impossible for a woman over 6' tall to have proportionately long arms. LL starts women off at 6'4" or so going shorter can be frowned upon due to the irrational idea that avatars under 6' are "child avatars". To make matters worse, the height displayed in the appearance editor is wrong, it's been broken since that feature was added nearly two years ago now.

I've written up a more thorough explanation of the appearance editor here.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.