Merlin Saxondale

Good ID names seem to be reserved but unused.

I was trying to find a good username for an alternate ID, and looked up some names I liked. I have noticed that a great many good names have been taken, for example 'John' etc, but what is very noticable is that many of these good names have no profile information whatever. They seem to have been simply reserved, but never used.

It seems wrong that people can reserve an ID in this way if they are not going to use it.

Griffin Ceawlin

Re: Good ID names seem to be reserved but unused.

Reply to Merlin Saxondale - view message

A good lot of those (seemingly unused) common first name accounts were created on Nov. 18-19, 2010. Can we be sure that LL didn't reserve them?

Interestingly, Robert is still available. Get it while you can!

:smileymad: I'm only a part-time b*tch :smileywink:
My time inworld is limited, and precious. IMs detailing your bruised ego are unwelcome.
Go to my Forum profile and try a PM instead. I may even respond.
~ My Silly Little Blog ~
Merlin Saxondale

Reply to Griffin Ceawlin - view message

Yes, I wondered if they were reserved by LL. Wow! Robert is a really tempting ID, but I suppose I would be guilty of doing the thing I am criticising. :smileyhappy:  Still, it gives me hope that there are still some good ones left.

Willow Danube

I think I remembered someone posted a list of name generator websites before. Perhaps a lot of RL first names has been taken like hot potatoes when LL launched it last year. Even my RL first name was taken and it is supposed to be one of those rarely used names.

If you are looking for a new cool name, I'd suggest you to search for these name generator websites and have them 'translate' or convert your RL/SL current names into something futuristic or fantasy.

Busy saving the world
Marianne Little
Topics: 21

When LL got rid of the 2 names system, a lot of avatars was like "OMG, I got to get MY name!". Maybe I should have registered a "Marianne Resident", but I was too lazy and I could not really see the point. I would continue to use Marianne Little as my main avatar anyway.

But it was like a psychose, many thought they "had to grab their name before somebody else does takes it". Then they really don't know what to do with it, and could not afford to buy all the new stuff and start friending their old friends all over.... So the avatar name is taken but not used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27764102@N02/

Merlin Saxondale

Reply to Marianne Little - view message

Yes, that sounds a likely explaination. Actually, with the first and second name idea, LL had a good way of preventing this sort of thing.  But I am wondering if just a small number of people are grabbing lots of IDs. There is little point in doing it because I don't think they could be sold or anything.

I found a similar problem with youtube too. Lots of the IDs I tried were taken, but had nothing uploaded.

Honored Resident
Astringofcharacters

You people who were named before the username/display name era are fortunate. Just try (like the OP apparently did) to find a coherent username! Taken, taken, taken ... How do you think I ended up calling myself "Astringofcharacters?" After an hour of rejections I gave up and just googled username.

Resident
MagdalaLuna

I didn't have any problem getting a decent name.  I just combined the first name I wanted with the last name, no space between them, capitalize each one and it went through fine.  For my display name I use the two names separated by a space.

Pussycat Catnap
Topics: 70

[ Edited ]

Reply to Griffin Ceawlin - view message

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

A good lot of those (seemingly unused) common first name accounts were created on Nov. 18-19, 2010. Can we be sure that LL didn't reserve them?

Yes pretty much we can. For those of us who were inworld on that day - you can rest assured that many of us did a name-rush grab.

Sadly even after deleting several accounts, it seems I was wrong about names not used cominb back into availability. I only grabbed names matching my brand - but many people grabbed all sorts of names. I did take one general name, but its now one of my primary accounts so not some unused thing: Reggae.

Some people went out and made a good hundred or so of them if claims being bandied about at the time were actually true...

At the time all single user names were -ALWAYS- first in search for the all category - so a few thousand of them filled up with advert spam profiles, until LLs delisted them from search.

... But they're back in search now... so I suspect the advert profiles will return. I've consciously worked to make sure Reggae's profile is a real resident profile with info of social use to me, and Picks that are my land or places I go. In fact I routinely re-check her groups to make sure the branded ones are not usually visible.

- But she gets an IM or two every week from somebody wanting her to serve as a promotional tool...

Self interest & greed are the roots of evil.
The gift of Jah is eternal life. - Romans 6:23
Equal Rights and Justice, these are not just words but great and noble conceptions. No prejudice, no discrimination. - Lutan Fyah
Getting started in Second Life | Getting good Body Proportions in SL | Rasta Music | Gallery
Coby Foden

[ Edited ]

Reply to Astringofcharacters - view message

Astringofcharacters wrote:

You people who were named before the username/display name era are fortunate. Just try (like the OP apparently did) to find a coherent username! Taken, taken, taken ... How do you think I ended up calling myself "Astringofcharacters?" After an hour of rejections I gave up and just googled username.

Heheheh... one of the reasons Linden Lab stated for abandoning the First Name, Last Last in user names was that they wanted to make the account creation faster, easier and fun :matte-motes-agape: for new users, as there would be no need to select the last name from a predetermined list.

They failed miserably in that that point. Now with single user names new users have no choice for a nice user name as all the good ones have been taken. And now it takes forever to find a a user name which is not taken. There are tens of thousands of totally absurd, silly, hard to remember user names, as the users have no other choice...

Sure, we can use Display Names where one has a lot more freedom to make a name. But Linden Lab failed to understand that we want nice easy to remember User Name. And a lot of us do not like the Display Name thing at all. Again, Linden Lab failed to listen to the users... :matte-motes-confused: