Free casual looks?

sherlor970620

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all!  I'm a newbie here at Second Life and I'm trying to define my look to where my avatar looks like me as possible.  I still haven't gotten a job yet in SL (haven't figured out yet I kind of wanted to start a "beginner" look first before I look around) so I don't have any Linden just yet, but if anybody could help me find some free casual looks that'd be great! I just don't know where to look.   My sense is style is basically simple, a cute t-shirt and dark denim blue jeans with some cute colorful boots.  I have long brown hair parted in the middle and I have very light skin, with a slender figure all over but I have a tiny bit of curve to my hips (not too much though).   I have arch-like eyebrows and I have green almond shaped eyes.  If anybody could tell me which store I could most likely find these on in game (i can't find anything on marketplace...) that would be great! 

Also any newcomer tips would be appreciative as well.

Thank you to anybody who helps out, I really appreciate it!

-Talia Little

Welcome to SL.  There are so many  stores here that to ask where you can find a specific look will result in a slew of suggestions, all of which will inevitably be based on another person's preferences. If you want to create a unique look, I suggest you assemble it from all over the place, and that way you can tweak it till it's exactly what you want.

I think the Marketplace is your best bet to start with. You probably haven't found anything yet because you haven't quite got the hang of the search function, which takes a bit of getting used to.

I'd start with the eyes, because there might be a slightly smaller number of items to plough through.  If you type "green eyes" into the search bar, and then narrow down the category to Avatar Appearance, or Avatar Accessory, or something similar, and then sort by Price, Low to High, it should show you everything that meets those search terms in ascending price order. Yes, there will be loads, but you can at least start to see what is available, and make a few choices.  Pick up the Demo items if they're free and try them on.

The eyebrow shape thing is going to be dictated by several variables:

1 - Your skin, which may have eyebrows already "painted" on,

2 - Your bald base, which is a widget you wear to hide the system hair that the av comes with automatically

3 - A makeup tattoo which you can add to change your brows completely.  

To pick up a skin you like, again, search using relevant terms like "Pale skin" or whatever; you can pick up demos and try them on and see what seems to work for you.  Decent skins aren't usually cheap, but some designers offer free ones to avatars under a certain age (30 days, for example) so it's worth looking for those.

You will also be able to edit your shape to make it taller, shorter, fatter, thinner etc, so take a copy of the one you are currently wearing, and then edit away till you find a look you like.  Remember that the skin you wear will have a big impact on the way your face looks.  

Hair is HUGE in terms of what's available in SL.  If you see someone wearing a style you like, ask them where they got it.  People (in general) like to be complimented on their look, and are sometimes happy  to share their style secrets.  And if they aren't, well,  you can ask someone else.  

Good luck.

Good advice from Rosie with one warning: if you have recently started SL, you will probably have one of the new mesh avatars. Traditional 'system' skins and clothes will not work with these avatars, and many accessories will not function as intended. So if you haven't done so already, take a look in your inventory for one of the older, non-mesh avs before trying to add skins and clothes.

You'll find non-mesh avs in the Library, which is at the very bottom of your Inventory. Look under Clothing >> Initial Outfits, ignoring any with (Mesh) in the name. Or you could look in Clothing >> Older Outifts at any of the avs starting with 'Female'. None of them are especially great-looking, but they are a modifiable base which will accept new skins and fit most clothes and accessories. 

While your account is still new, I'd recommend Fab Free's "Under 30 day" list which is full of offers to new residents. Even after you pass 30 days old, the main Fab Free blog is a great source for hunts and freebies of all kinds.

Hi :)

You are under 30 days? Search for Pink Fuel mainstore inworld. Look for this vendor  https://www.flickr.com/photos/mochimilena/14729534131/ and "buy" the light skin for 0 linden. Comes with shape and the eyebrows shown. You can adjust eyebrows and shape, make the brows more arched. I don't have time to tell you in detail just now, hopefully this SL wiki will help you. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Appearance you look at "hair" then eyebrows and take it from there.

Hair, se this blog post. https://fabfree.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/big-free-ish-hair-post-part-3/ and the previous two. I think the Lelutka hairs (65 - 68) is too good to pass. You might have to compromise on the style and color, but that is not so important. There are more colors for each style than shown, I know this because I have them. 5 natural colors for no. 65 and I think some of the others are fatpacks.

Eyes, I agree that it's so many on the Marketplace. You should be able to use some of them. 

Clothing, the FabFree blog I linked to under hair has a search box where you can type in what you look for. But they don't blog only free stuff, but also cheap and full priced things. You have to read several posts to find some totally free and not 1 or 10 L.

This list is the "Free for under 30 days" and this is the really free stuff. http://fabfree.wordpress.com/fabfree-30-days-list/

I already mentioned the Pink Fuel skin because it is best for the ladies. Clothing, I recommend Apple May and Sn@th on this list first, but go to all.

Colorful boots, well here you have to take what you can find. It is not so much free stuff. You can join the Hucci subscriber group, I belive it's the only that is free to join. She send out group gifts, but it is not so often. Many of her gifts is shoes for mesh feet, and you can't use those on default avatar. Still, it is smart to join because there can come some... and it is free. You will notice that a lot of the free group gifts are not free to join, they normally cost 50 - 250 L.

EDIT: Keli writes faster then me. :)

Hello,

There are many groups that cater to people not having many lindens to fix up there avatar. You can go on marketplace and find many free shapes and skins as well as enroll in secondlife groups that give you link to free things...if you need help look me up in Secondlife and I will be glad to help. (Sandria Mosely)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.