Facial expressions

Nefari Nandahar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all!

Been looking for a facial expressions HUD that doesnt use the same expressions like all the others, you know smile, open mouth, disdain, shrug, etc. I have all of those and a combiner tool. Arent there any newer ones? All look very cartoony and kinda silly. Looked on Marketplace and inworld but there seems that there are no others around.

So if you know of some facial expressions HUD that uses more subtle expressions, direct me to it please. If you are a skilled creator, make a new and better one.:matte-motes-smile: I would buy it, and I think that there is a market for it.

Bye

Nefari

Nefari Nandahar wrote:

Hi all!

Been looking for a facial expressions HUD that
doesnt
use the same expressions like all the others, you know smile, open mouth, disdain, shrug, etc. I have all of those and a combiner tool. Arent there any newer ones?

Hi, those old expressions are are all of them. They are not like the "regular" animations, but morphs built into the avatar definition files that come with each copy of the viewer. To make more, all the viewers would need altered avatar support files, and llStartAnimation would have to be modified on the server side to support them. The gesture and animation editors would need some tweaking too.

So, it is a thing that LL would need to help with to make it work well.

I would suggest finding a emote hud that combines facial expression. Not just 1 or 2 combinations. Combining up to 3 or 4 facials expressions at the same time, seems to create the best morphs, but this is a trial and error thing, and every1 is going to prefer different combinations.

What I do, is editing the face shape and eyebrows to try to refine the crude facial expressions.

The full smile makes the eyes squint and the lips are curling up. Yuck. My solution there is to make a "smile shape" with wider eye openings, and a slightly pout to the mouth (grumpy). This really helps on the smile expression. I save it as "smile shape" and change shape just for photos.

Open mouth attachments in form of prim teeth or painted on teeth on tattoo layer can also give a new look to the face. I also tweak the mouth shape when I use these. More upper lip and fuller mouth.

Finally, there is a setting for the avatar called "slow motion" where your avatar moves slowly. I think it is under the advanced menu, but it is different from viewer to viewer. If you play an animation and ends it, the face changes back to normal slowly. If you are lucky and stand ready, you can capture a more "normal" look.  Let us say you play "open mouth" and edit the eyebrows so you look angry, you can capture an angry look without those weird eyes.

Hope this helps, the avatar mesh and facial expressions is really clumsy and a pain to work with.

Wow, thanks again...never thought of that, even though I have adjusted my eyebrows several times...

The slow motion feature I know about...its kinda handy when you try to catch some nice pose thats is in a long sequence of an animation...Your tip of using it is clever. Didnt think about it...

You are all very helpful, and I am very grateful.

Thanks again all.

Now its off to adjust some eyebrows:matte-motes-smile:

Nefari

• 2 weeks later...

Like others have said, you can get pretty nice results from combining shape changes and multiple built-in facial expressions.

Ideally, LL will provide us with an updated avatar mesh which will allow greater control over facial expressions. However, in the mean time, I wish they'd at least upgrade the client to allow for a built-in system of combining expressions and face shape morphs, through both an interface and triggered via gestures.

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the forums, Lover.

It sounds like you are wearing the demo version of the hair. Demos often have floating boxes attached so that people won't be temped to just wear the demo all the time. If you purchased the hair, make sure you are wearing the purchased item and not the demo. Most demos are clearly marked with "DEMO" in the item description.

If the box is actually attached to your right hand (the default position for attaching things that don't specify an attachment point) then it's likely that your hair was packed in a box by the creator. If that's the case, detach the box, select it in inventory and drag it to the ground in an area that allows rezzing. Right click the box and select "Open" then copy the boxes contents to your inventory. You should then find the hair there, where you can select it and wear it.

Goodl luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.