Copy and Modify

madelin423

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Really this is two questions.

I have been looking at buying a complete avatar at the marketplace.  On some of the items such as shape, skin,
etc.  It says some you can copy, some you can mod.  What does this mean?  Is this something I have to do? Is this
something I have to worry about.

One other thing.  I have the avatar I am using now pretty much set the way I like it.   If I do want to try out an avatar
that I purchase, is there a way to save this avatar exactly the way it is.   And I should say that thanks to the advice
that I received here, I was able to get my avatar the way I wanted it.

Hello madelin

Objects (no matter what they are) can have 3 different settings:

- transfer  (you can give this object from your inventory to another person)

- copy (you can create copies of this object)

- modify (you can open the build menu and edit this object)

Any object can have all or some of these settings. For example: If an object is copy and mod you can make copies of this object and edit them. This is very useful if you want to save the object before you try to edit it (in case you mess up) or if you want to make different versions of one item.

You can save your current apperance by creating an outfit. Should be easy to find in the viewer. Someone else might know the exact way to get there...I just do it automatically after all the years.

One thing I want to mention: Its not adviceable to search and buy whole avatars, if there isn't a specific reason to do so. Most stores (especially the good ones) are specalized on one type of obejct. So the best hair will be in shops that exclusively sell hair and the best skins are in shops that specialize on skins and so on. You also get a true unique look, if you combine different products from different creators.

You can save everything that your present avatar has on by using the Outfits feature.  See this link for how to do that.

Copy means you can make and have multiple copies of an item in your inventory. 

Mod means you can modify the item by changing it in some way. 

Trans or Transfer means you can only have one copy of the item unless you buy more than one copy, and that you can give it or sell it to someone else.

You always want to get a shape that has COPY and MOD permissions so you can make adjustments to it in order to wear mesh clothes, or just change parts of it to make it more like you want your avatar to look like.

If something has MOD permissions and you plan on modifying it, then you want to buy the item that has COPY permissions.  This is so you can copy it and mod the copy.  That way you still have the original if you want to go back to it, or if you mess up modifying it.

As for getting a complete avatar, think carefully about that.  They are convenient and will make you look like what you see in the sales picture, but you will also look like everyone else that bought it.  Most people that have been residents of SL past the newby stage want their avatar to look unique and like no one else.  Individuality is highly valued in SL.  You can do this by buying the components that make up your avatar separately and combining them to make a unique you.  It takes more time, but the effort is well worth it and can be part of the fun of SL.  Even people who have been in SL a long long time generally are constantly tweaking or updating their avatar as they find new things they like better, or that look more realistic or better in some other way, or as technology changes or if they are just ready for a change.

Thanks for the help.  I thought when you bought a complete avatar that it came with the whole avatar already done.
(in other words, I didn't have to add all the stuff myself.  Like take a classic avatar and then add everything.)  I have
a classic avatar now. I bought a simple outfit for it.  I added the top with no problem. When I went to add the skirt, it
only went around the waist. Then, I found the skirt listed again and it had primm after it.  Never could get the skirt to
load.  So, I had to go with the shorts which worked perfect.    Then, there was the shoes. Took off the school girl shoes
and loaded the shoes that came with with the outfit. They didn't work. Half the foot was sticking out.  So, my idea was
if I get a complete avatar, I don't have this problem.  Spending more time trying to get clothes right then exploring.
I will think twice about buying a complete avatar and work more on trying to figure out how to get clothes to fit right.
Thanks again.

Your shoes don't fit because you probably wear very old ones, which still use something called invisiprims. Those were made to cover your feet, but don't work anymore on any sort of decent graphic levels. Get better shoes, which come with an alpha layer, that can be worn to make your feet invisible.

be sure to wear the foot shaper too. Looks like a little shoe icon. That shapes your default foot to fit the shoe as well. You need both the shaper and the alpha layer for the shoe to look correct and for your avi to look correct since the shaper can also be sure your feet aren't buried in the ground.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.