Can't Log In? Account On Hold?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have you gotten this message?

“Are you having a little trouble with your password or security question? We can get this straightened out by talking to you. “

No, you are not alone. 

This happened to me around February 16th.  I have spent many hours reading  SL forum posts about this situation.  Here’s what I found out:

When this happens, you are also prohibited from logging into www.secondlife.com

The situation seems always to be the same.

Out of the blue, a resident finds out that they can’t log in, there is no email notice sent before this action, a call to the phone number provide results in nothing other than a confirmation that the account has been “put on hold” with the caller told to log a support ticket.IF LL decides to “un-hold” the account, it is usually WEEKS later, with no explanation or apology given. 

This happens to people with premium accounts as well as free accounts. It happens to people that have only been in SL a couple of week or many YEARS.

There was a JIRA ticket created in 2008 about this problem and was closed by Sue Linden on Dec 21,2010, with no comments. See: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-2422

(Yeah, that's fixing the problem!!!)

I called the number on the screen when I couldn't log in.  I was able to talk to someone right away.  After looking up my information, all the person could tell me was that there was an administrative hold on my account and I was advised to fill out a support ticket. 

I did, but I got no email response from Linden Labs confirming that I successfully created a ticket.  I did try to change my password, which I was able to do when Linden Labs sent me an email, so I KNOW they have my email address.

I then created additional support tickets about this.  I did get a response from them but the responses tell me to stop creating tickets, so I know at least someone is seeing them.  One of them did include the original support ticket number for reference, however, but since I cannot log into their website, there is no way I can check the status of it.

The results of this can be disastrous.  During this time, victims have lost their land, their businesses, their customers, their fans, etc., with no recourse than to create an alt and start over while waiting for someone to help them.

Linden Labs has been paying us lip service by telling us they are improving the lines of communications.  Well, if anyone from Linden Labs is reading this, your customer service is a joke, except no one is laughing.

I have invested time and money into Secondlife, but if that is they way Linden Labs is going to treat me as a customer, then they will no longer be getting any of my money.

If this has happened to you, or you have had other trouble with Linden Labs, you can go the Better Business Bureau.  Linden Labs has an A+ rating an only 103 complaints!  This is really unbelievable. They surely don't deserve this kind of rating, or do they?

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/internet-gaming/linden-lab-in-san-francisco-ca-57373

People from any country can file complaints on their site too, if they are having troubles with Linden Labs

http://www.bbb.org/us/

You may be able to get quicker action from LL this way, but don't hold your breath.  It's been over three weeks now for me.

Perhaps if more people file complaints, maybe their customer service will become better. It's worth a try.

Good Luck!

Doctor Shackleton

There are a variety of legitimate reasons why LL may put an account on hold. These included investigating possible fraud, dealing with possible phished or stolen accounts, failure to make payments due etc.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Why_is_my_account_on_hold

Investigating such issues may or may not take some time. The best you can do is contact support (as you have done) and wait for the issue to be investigated.

I won't disagree that LL need to investigate these issues more swiftly than they sometimes seem to do, but you should have at least got an email from them confirming the administrative hold (check your spam folder in case its beeen filtered there).

I find it odd you never got an email and here is why.  Ever had the email notification that LL need to take over your account to investigate for 30 mins and it is generic, something your av might have seen or done. This has happened to me twice in 4 years, both times I got an email before they did it and an email after saying they were done and I could have my account back.

Both times I never found out why.  I assumed people had ARd me, club owners can rack up a few ARs over the years, most loon ones.

I know this is not the same as administrative hold and may be a different dept but it is an example of how they communicate.

Thanks for the replies!

What's odd is that I have emails from other tickets I have opened, except from the very first one.

What annoys me is that I can't get logged into their website to check the status of any of these tickets.  It is obvious that their system is broken and that they don't have enough staff to deal with customer issues in a timely manner.

Like everything else in this corporate centric society, you pay your money, you take your chances and when things go wrong, you are left with little recourse.  (My next step is to file a complaint with the California Attorney General.)

I have encouraged many people to sign up for Secondlife and assisted them getting around, once they were in.  I've invested time and money into inworld ventures, but no more. 

The damage has been done and there really isn't any fixing it.

HEAR ME LOUD AND CLEAR LINDEN LABS,  I AM DONE PROMOTING YOU AND YOUR BROKEN SYSTEM!

YOU HAVE GOTTEN THE LAST OF MY MONEY!

You can take my account(s), you take my inventory, you can take my $Ls, but you can't take my friends.

i have that problem too..called the support number they want me to send ticket explaining the problem and ad my ID scan.. so why is for call supoort??? alost one week passed ..

no mail no answer nothing..i get a mail containing a survey asking how i found the performance of supoort system..it like kidding with people..

still i dont know why my account hold on..they said age verification but is it taht hard ..and if u ask for people for age verification and choose the players by yourself why dont u do that at the beginining..

its hard to understand..i paid lready 100$ to get lindens and all gone ..more than that i opened another acount and i cant putlindens couse i m afrad of loodingthe new account too..

i m very upset

On March 07, 2011, the business provided the following information: Greetings, Linden Lab operates Second Life, a 3-D “virtual world,” or online, immersive communications system, which enables users to meet, communicate, view graphics together, and engage in a variety of user-generated game-play. Most content on the Second Life platform is user-generated and operated. We apologize for the delay in responding to Mr. XXXXXXXXX case, I will be managing his case to help expedite resolution. We held Mr. XXXXXXXXXX’s account because it was associated with another set of accounts that had initiated Chargebacks, or transactional disputes on valid payments. This type of chargeback is considered fraud, so we take specific actions to mitigate this type of fraud. Also, these account associations can have a number of reasons including location based. We have been unable to release Mr. XXXXXXXXX’s account because there is no valid Real Life Identification in the account. This information will help us resolve our investigations on the possible associations of accounts. If Mr.XXXXXXXX can provide us a legible copy of a government-issued identification document (state ID, driver’s license, passport, military ID, birth certificate) that clearly includes both name and date of birth, we will release his account. This ID can be sent in via his existing Support Case via responding to the generated email. Regards,

Patsy Linden

Customer Service Manager Linden Lab

In my opinion, this shows exactly what is wrong with Linden Labs customer service. I find it funny that they are asking for a copy of my driver’s license when all of my personal information about my RL identity can be found on the complaint I filed with the BBB. So I am not sure why they want a copy of my drivers license or birth certificate! I also find it sad that the Linden Labs employee handling my case refuses to sign their real life name and hides behind the Linden name.

At this time, I am undecided whether I trust Linden Labs with a copy of a RL identification document given the companies history with security issues. Surely a company operating 21st century would have the means to validate my identity through electronic means rather than resorting to this archaric method of sending them a picture of documents that can easily be faked. I am leaning toward abandoning my investment into Secondlife with this avatar rather than trusting Linden Labs ability to hold such a document secure.

However, I am remaining firm in my commitment not to spend any more RL money in SL and will continue to advise my friends not to do so either. Nor will I be going out of my way to promote SL as I have in the past until Linden Labs can demonstrate that it truly cares about its customers. The fact that I am having to resort to the BBB rather than Linden Labs official channels clearly demonstrates that their system is still broken as not one email has been received concerning the original event that triggered this whole mess nor can I access their website to respond to the original ticket I created or subsequent tickets as “doctor shackleton”.

The most disheartening aspect about this whole thing is the idea that I may somehow be involved in fraud.  I have never disputed ANY payments to Linden Labs or products I have purchased in SL so I really don’t have any idea where they are coming from with this.

Sincerely,

Doctor Shakleton

aka TheDoctorShackleton Resident

I also have my account held. They sent me an email saying they need age verification so I sent them the ID ... I called the support who said that I have to send a ticket .. I even can't log in, how can I send a ticket?

Now, it is a month passed in sending back emails and calling them more than four times.

I had to make another account to be able to interact with second life community to have some way going back inworld.

First it was an age verification then another email says it is for a mistake I did. I now can't get it.

I really wish this message gets its way to LL .. why not responding?

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread when I was looking for informations about Dura shop owner who had her account banned yesterday because of some claim she was using copy-bot. It seems to me she was wrongfully accused and I would like to know what really happened. You can read her part of the story here:

http://tinypaste.com/b9c720

http://tinypaste.com/fad284

She obviously can't speak English too well (I suppose she is from Japan) and probably wasn't even aware what she is supposed to do. And even if she would send them required info (even if it seems absurd to me to be forced to send some personal document to solve this issue) I somewhat doubt it would help.

So I would like to know the other side of the story as I would like to have some questions answered. For example:

Was this really all about Valentine Gift hairs and what hairs was it supposed to be copied from?

How can I tell if it's copybotted if chiaki xue shows as creator?

Was chiaki xue really proved quilty?

How could her account be terminated in just two days?

If someone of you has some informations about this case I would like to know it. Because right now it seems to me unjustice has been done and no one is doing anything about it.

EDIT: It seems chiaki xue account is active again and she got apology from Linden Labs. How could her account be terminated so fast is still beyond me (she had her shop for some time and she was even running a blog about her products, which is clearly not behaviour associated with copybotters) but I'm glad this misunderstanding was concluded so fast.

• 1 month later...

my account literally just got put on administrative hold, in fact, all the accounts but this one were put on administrative hold. I have not recieved a single email as to why this has happened or as to what they plan to do, I submitted a ticket and we shall se what comes out of it. I may have a free account but I would assume that they have the decency to inform me about what it is I have done wrong

• 6 months later...

Regards !!

Have the same problem ... my account is on hold for no apparent reason, have I made many ticket's and have given personal information, I would like to fill a form at the BBB as you did, you could help me with that? please? weeks have passed without any response to my case, even I have hope to regain my account help me thanks.

• 4 months later...

A week ago I was mid-sentence when I was logged out "by an Administrator". I then tried to log into the site to find I was on "Administrative Hold", so I supplied all the info they requested.... and.... nothing....

I rang support from Australia (ouch - not toll free for us), only to have one of the support team cut me off and hang up on me. No answers, no help, no premium access.

I am on a disability support pension and pretty much house bound after nearly dying a few years ago. I have been with SL since 2006. This is pretty much my main social outlet unless friends drop by. The Linden's don't seem to care. I have invested quite a lot of time and money into SL in the past 6 years, but that seems to account for nothing. Even if someone would tell me what was happening. It's not much to ask.

• 6 months later...

We have placed your account on an Administrative hold

~Yea FAMILIAR With this BS!  I have done NOTHING WRONG and yet here I am, a premium member ~been here for FOUR YEARS, and when I went to log in earlier tonight I got this little gem^

I called support, they were clueless, threw some urgency into their voice and made up some BS line that they were going to send this into the "Quick take a look at this" pile and get there exclamation point team on it. ;)

I'm beyond pissed. I received no indicating e-mail that there was a complaint against me (I can't remember the last time I've actually had any extended contact with the general public, I'm mostly a builder and quiet eye designer with a very small group) 

I called my bank, checked my statements ~linden lab got their Premium payment on time, (I didn't put them on Administrative hold for no apparent reason or anything like that) ;)

I checked my e-mail, (yes, for those of you and___ before you even ask,__  who have been here proverbially five minutes longer than everybody else that could possibly know anything~ even Philip himself, I did check the addy that is associated with the avi that has now gotten the inexplicable time out in the penalty box :matte-motes-wink: mmmkay

I have submitted ticket after ticket and I WILL call every five minutes if I have to.  I didn't do anything wrong and honestly think this has something to do with the unscheduled maintenance that was donet on  billing and login~

From the Grid Status Report:

[Resolved] Unscheduled Maintenance for Login and Billing Systems
Posted by Status Desk on November 5th, 2012 at 06:31 pm PST
[Resolved 5:58PM PST, 05 November 2012] The unscheduled maintenance to Second Life has been completed. Logins and billing payments should now function normally.

[Posted 5:24PM PST, 05 November 2012] We are currently undergoing unscheduled maintenance to the Second Life login systems. This may cause some residents to be logged out, or prevent some from being able to log in. Also, any payments being made through SecondLife.com will be rejected. Please refrain from making payments at this time. Please keep an eye on this blog for updates.

This is the response I've gotten so far:

Upon review of your original case, I see that you are requesting the release of your account. We will be closing this ticket as a duplicate but we want you to know the current status of the original case.

Currently, it appears that our escalations team is reviewing your eligibility to be reinstated. Your patience is greatly appreciated, as they will give your case the time and research necessary to ensure the correct decision is made.

I am closing this case as it is a duplicate of case #01xxxx. Please make all comments and responses to that case only.

Currently there is no way to change my Premium account to Basic without canceling the Entire account. ~ You have two options when they place your account on Hold. You can submit a ticket, or you can cancel your account. I'm about 10 hours into this hellish nightmare and I sti;ll have absolutely no idea weather I've been hacked, if there was a complaint about me, or if Linden labs is just basically screwing with me~ no clue at all:matte-motes-smile: Isn't that awesome?

I think it's absolutely hilarious that while I was posting, I got an automated e-mail from ~somethingorother Linden, congratulating me on my rank. that's freekin Hilarious!  I can't gety any help at all from support, as a four year Premium account member, but in my alt. who has maybe 100 things in her invenory, I get a congratulations 2 seconds after I post about not getting any attention~

You guys got my vote for being the most outta touch with customer's needs of the year award ;)

Way ta go!

~Aire Xaris ( I guess soon to be the former)

• 4 weeks later...

my account bloodstorm has been on hold for 2 weeks now and its bull and i havent ven gotten a email tellin me that they are puttin it on hold or nothing and still to this day have not gotted NOTHING  so i know how he feels about his account and bloodstorm is 2 years old and my MAIN debra hanly has been on for 3 years and they have NEVER done nothing wrong so i would love to have my bloodstorm account back

• 1 year later...

I have been a member of SL since 2008 i went off the grid for 2 years and i came back now i retrieved all my information from my main account and when i logged in it said account on hold. When i left SL 2 years ago my account was not in this state. I have filed 2 support tickets 1 from my main account and the other from this temp account so i can view and comment on the ticket.

I prey to god they will resolve this issue because i put alot of time and effort into that account and if i cant use it again im not going to bother with my newbie account.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

i cant also login its almost two weeks now i send a email to LL and recieved a ticket i dont know whats wrong they say nothing they are investigate something   but i dont know what so im waiting i create a second account so im noob again  i cant even use my visa card so i try to get some free stuff some guy say to me his account was on hold for six months !!! thats a long time but i hope i gonna get my old account back Zania Ragnarok fingers crossed 

• 3 weeks later...

Since when we cannot create multiple avis? 2 of my avis are ON HOLD.

This is ridiculous while Linden Lab do clearly nothing to get rid of the bots that are there only to increase the traffic and dont tell me that they cannot find out... there are there for years. Plus you cannot even report them... but when you use multiple avis they put them on hold however bots are fine... clearly ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, JenniferFame said:

Since when we cannot create multiple avis? 2 of my avis are ON HOLD.

This is ridiculous while Linden Lab do clearly nothing to get rid of the bots that are there only to increase the traffic and dont tell me that they cannot find out... there are there for years. Plus you cannot even report them... but when you use multiple avis they put them on hold however bots are fine... clearly ridiculous. 

59b00f0798aca_pinheadnecro2.jpg.c2eb73758dc93fd3c16f0c5d74403433.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.