Been Falsely Reported

PinknBlonde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I'll be honest- this girl had an outfit I liked so I bought some lindens with my credit card and dressed like her with things that I PAID for. She said I copy  botted her which is untrue I don't even know what that means. If she reports me Linden Labs will look at my credit card payments and I won't get in trouble right? She's saying I didn't buy those things but I did. 

Just because you see something you like someone else is wearing, and buy it to wear  is not copybotting.  Copybotting is copying the intellectual property creations of another person and claiming it as their own work when it isn't.  It is sort of like virtual plaguarism with virtual items instead of words.  

Buying clothes, shoes, skins, hair, and accessories to wear, which have been set for sale by the creator is not copybotting.  Wearing the same thing as another AV is not copybotting.  We buy and wear the same things off the rack  in RL as others do all the time.  You might be thought of having no style of your own if you constantly buy and wear the same things as people you know by the "Fashion Police" or "Fasionistas".

I think the person mispoke when they used the term copybot.

PinknBlonde wrote:

Ok I'll be honest- this girl had an outfit I liked so I bought some lindens with my credit card and dressed like her with things that I PAID for. She said I copy  botted her which is untrue I don't even know what that means. If she reports me Linden Labs will look at my credit card payments and I won't get in trouble right? She's saying I didn't buy those things but I did. 

You did nothing that violates the TOS.  As others have stated, copybot is stealing stealing (illegally copying) other peoples content.

And if she did report you I think "she dressed like me" would raise some eyebrows when reviewed.

But it does raise an interesting point.  Many people work hard on their looks and like to see themselves as being unique.  So I can see someone getting upset with someone who has intentionally "twinned" them and looks like them.

Perrie Juran wrote:

PinknBlonde wrote:

You did nothing that violates the TOS.  As others have stated, copybot is stealing stealing (illegally copying) other peoples content.

And if she did report you I think "she dressed like me" would raise some eyebrows when reviewed.

But it does raise an interesting point.  Many people work hard on their looks and like to see themselves as being unique.  So I can see someone getting upset with someone who has intentionally "twinned" them and looks like them.

Worked hard? At buying things? I think not. Unless someone created the look 100% all by themselves, including creating the skin, shape, hair, clothing and any other items included, they did not work hard at it, lol. Others worked hard for them, so they could look that way.

People who get butthurt over others looking like them crack me up. Especially those who really make a big deal about it. If nothing else, they provide free entertainment.

PinknBlonde wrote:

Thanks guys, I told her I don't know what it is and she cursed at me and threatened me. Some crazies out there
:|

I think that the general advice you will get here is to just ignore / walk away from people like this.

I will say that 'threatening' another person could be AR'able depending on the nature of the threat. However we HIGHLY recommend avoiding shoving matches.

ImaTest wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

PinknBlonde wrote:

Worked hard? At buying things? I think not. Unless someone created the look 100% all by themselves, including creating the skin, shape, hair, clothing and any other items included, they did not work hard at it, lol. Others worked hard for them, so they could look that way.

People who get butthurt over others looking like them crack me up. Especially those who really make a big deal about it. If nothing else, they provide free entertainment.

Perhaps it would have been better if I had said that they invest many hours in their look.

The self perception may be "I worked hard on this."

Many a self proclaimed hard worker has been shocked to find out that they weren't after meeting someone who could work circles around them.

This city boy thought he was a hard worker until he spent a summer on a farm.

Now I know what hard work is and I avoid it like the plague.  ;)

She may have been upset, because a REAL copybot can suddenly appear in sight of you - and is now wearing the exact same things you are.  I've seen it happen, where an avi, who has been doing nothing in particular, will rapidly turn into a twin of another in the area - and they have no connection.  I guess my 'fashion sense' isn't good enough to copy  :matte-motes-smile:

But if you bought stuff, and wore it later, you may be a copycat - but certainly NOT a copybot.  Don't worry about it. 

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.