LeslieA68

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!  just signed up last night.  Having fun looking and reading.  Question is I have the av that you get when you sign up.  I thought I had seen somewhere while I was reading "steps" to changing your avatar.  Like what you need to do in what order for the items you buy to customize the av to work.  Such as shape then skin then hair or something like that.  And how do I know what items go with what?  Like the mesh and non mesh.  Hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance!!

You can have a mesh avatar or what has become known as a classic avatar. For the classic avatar you have a huge range of possibilities in the form of skin shape and clothes hair and so on. 

Mesh avatars are much more restricted. The free sign up ones don't have much if any customization options. You can buy mesh avatars but you are then restricted for the most part to clothes made either by the seller or by an affiliate.

In general you are better off with the classic style at least until you understand more about the options.

If you go into your inventory to the section called Library and look in the folder called Clothing you will find complete sets called things like Girl Next Door, Gamer Girl etc (there are also some non human options).  Play around with these and you will soon get the hang of it. Right click on an item and select 'ware'. To take stuff off right click on yourself and select one of the options under Take Off, some items are called clothing which you 'take off' and some items are called attachments which you 'detach'.

Have fun with it!!

LeslieA68 wrote:

Hello everyone!  just signed up last night.  Having fun looking and reading.  Question is I have the av that you get when you sign up.  I thought I had seen somewhere while I was reading "steps" to changing your avatar.  Like what you need to do in what order for the items you buy to customize the av to work.  Such as shape then skin then hair or something like that.  And how do I know what items go with what?  Like the mesh and non mesh.  Hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance!!

The new mesh avatars are actually just a sort of full-body "digital rubber mask" over the old system avatar most add-ons and clothing are designed for. If you go to the "Appearance" button and then the "Wearing" tab, if you remove all the items with orange box icons and all the "alphas" (icon of a white T-shirt with a grid of lines) you'll be down to the old avatar and can build from there. Your avatar at a minimum will consist of a SKIN, a SHAPE, EYES, and HAIR (which may be invisible because the old "system" hair looks like crap and is usually shrunken inside of the avatar head.)

You can then use all things sold as "skins" and "shapes", and what's called "system" or "layer" clothing. You can also use mesh clothing (including some worn by the mesh avatars if you like) but there are shape adjustments you'll need to make for most of it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.