Attachment Point Issues Sometimes -or- Ankles are The New Feet???

Marrionetta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had this issue both in the SL viewer and the Firestorm viewer across two accounts and many pairs of (adorable) shoes.  MOST of the time when I slap on a pair of shoes, they attach correctly to the bottom of my feet.  But after I've been playing for a while, sometimes they start riding up around my ankles.  They're still -attached- to my feet, and other players seem to see my shoes normally, but I see them floating around all weird.  Like so.

WAIFEETWAI.png

None of the controls in the avatar health menu seem to do me much good, and changing the positions on my shoes makes them appear way low in the ground for others. (Client side issue)  Once I restart my viewer, the issue is usually fixed, and if I've changed the position of the shoes then I have to reset the shoes to where they were, which is a pain.  Is my only hope to restart?  Does anyone else have this issue?  Should I just amputate my avatar's feet and accept that this is my life now?  To wear cute shoes on ankle stumps?

URGH.  SEND HELP.

Marrionetta wrote:

I've had this issue both in the SL viewer and the Firestorm viewer across two accounts and many pairs of (adorable) shoes.  MOST of the time when I slap on a pair of shoes, they attach correctly to the bottom of my feet.  But after I've been playing for a while, sometimes they start riding up around my ankles.  They're still -attached- to my feet, and other players seem to see my shoes normally, but I see them floating around all weird.  Like so.

WAIFEETWAI.png

None of the controls in the avatar health menu seem to do me much good, and changing the positions on my shoes makes them appear way low in the ground for others. (Client side issue)  Once I restart my viewer, the issue is usually fixed, and if I've changed the position of the shoes then I have to reset the shoes to where they were, which is a pain.  Is my only hope to restart?  Does anyone else have this issue?  Should I just amputate my avatar's feet and accept that this is my life now?  To wear cute shoes on ankle stumps?

URGH.  SEND HELP.

It may be a problem with another piece of mesh you've put on in the meantime that has modified the joint positions of your avatar. The LL viewer had changes to the appearance code some time ago that can aggravate this and Firestorm doesn't use this code so how you look can be mismatched. This viewer was put together to patch the changes in the LL viewer:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.21.296729

Here are some pointers that will help you avoid this problem with shoes that are not slink:

1. always ADD instead of WEAR

2. If you decide to change the default attachment point by choosing ATTACH and then the body part, you will mess things up. So, don't do that.

Just ADD the item you want to wear and then remove/detach any items you no longer want to wear.

3. ADD the shoe base if  the shoes come with one (the icon looks like the side of a red sneaker)

4. ADD any alpha layer that comes with the shoes (the icon looks like a white shirt with a black grid)

5. ADD the actual shoes left and right (the icon looks like orange boxes)

that should do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you're wearing the shoe base that comes with it. IT can affect where the shoe sits. Also, you said you have the correct Slink feet but you're wearing default feet in your screen shots. Are you sure you have the right feet? Try putting them on, then add the shoes, and then wear the shoe base and see if it still happens.

Yep, I sometimes get this problem. System feet, mesh feet, prim shoes, mesh shoes; any combination of those can leave me with shoes halfway up my shins, which other people see correctly.  Weird.

I've found the only solution is to relog, and then my shoes look correct to me.

• 3 years later...

The positioning thing is most commonly a communication problem between the viewer and servers. A restart is the simple solution.

A more permanent fix to to test the server you are on and the connection to the SL servers. Ctrl-Shift-1 will open Viewer Stats. Look for Ping over 300ms, Packet Loss of 0.5% or higher (this number changes the longer you are in world), Sim FPS below 42, Time DIlation less than .9... these likely mean the server is having a problem. Remove the shoes and move to another region and put them on.

Packet Loss and long pings may be caused by your side of the connection, your ISP, your ISP's ISP (backbone provider), or the Linden internal network.

All these things are transient. The problem may disappear before you can run the tests to catch it. It may last just long enough to mess up your attaching. That can mess up the info in viewer memory or possibly the cache (not likely). So, a restart clears memory and fixes the issue.

If you frequently see the problem, try putting things on one item at a time. I usually only see the problem when I put on an outfit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.