Anybody found out how to get the skin color right?

Robin23 Dagostino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Doesn't matter whether it is for (add-on) feet or anything else getting the right skin tone for the item always seems to go wrong.

I capture (with an external program) a screenshot to select (the viewer color picker never gets it) the skin tone color. Then I edit the object in the viewer, select TEXTURE = NONE and use the RGB & HSV values I obtained to modify the edited object.  Then I press APPLY and now matter what it never looks right, the applied color looks so dark, much darker than the skin dat doesn't match what I selected.

In my case the add-on I am trying to color is a semisphere but it doesn't even look like a lighted gradient when I select a color instead of a texture.

I sure can't do it.  That's why I gave up on shoes with prim feet, except to wear with pants that go down beyond wherew the prim feet start.

This brings a question to mind, though.  Why doesn't someone make prim shoes with legs that go almostto the knee that would work with capris and long skirts?

I wonder why SL doesn't do something about it, apparently a lot of people are struggling with the same, It should be possible to get a skin color and let the model, renderer, shader do the gradient thing.

I personally find the default SL avatar feet absolutely horrible unless you cover them. with something. I know what you mean about those with prim feet, a challenge to get them properly integrated and almost never does.

I've honestly never had that much trouble? The longest it took me to color match something was about 30 mintues tops.

You will never really get the perfect color. Because as soon as you get it looking right in a windlight, it wil look very different in another. Really, just don't fret so much! If it looks great to you then don't worry.

Also, screenshooting never worked for me. I just use the RGB values in-world under a basic windlight and from there just eyeball it.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

This brings a question to mind, though.  Why doesn't someone make prim shoes with legs that go almostto the knee that would work with capris and long skirts?

check out the store Jacqueline's by Jacqueline Beaumont she has a few styles of prim feet shoes that are almost knee length such as this one

Hi, one of the major reasons might be that colors on a prim and the avatar differ about lighting.

Even if you apply the skin texture on your prim feet the will look slight different than the original feet, at least that´s how it looks to me.

Windlight settings, day/night, monitors ... all this things influence how you see colors. 2 different monitors and .... there we go.

Monti

You are doing a lot of work to try to match skin tone and I can understand how much of a challenge it can be.  Good skin makers will provide you with the values you need to use the HUD to make a pretty good match.  I use Nan's Optimal Skin 2 WL setting to see how closely I get a match.

If your skin maker has not provided you with the RGB and/or HSL values for the skin, ask them.

There are just too much that effects this.  The biggest problem is that you are applying a solid color rather than a texture to the feet.  Lighting, shadows, shading on the skin, etc, all effect what the color picker 'sees.'   Nalate has a great discussion of the issues.  I've quoted this here before.

There is one problem that you can run into using the color picker. There is an excellent discussion of the issues here and tips for matching colors:

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/01/26/sl-bare-feet/

"Another problem is the texture used for skin. A white texture allows one to use the Build Tool’s Texture Color and use meaningful RGB values. ONLY when the texture is white (gray scale) can the Show Color Under Cursor give usable results. (SLV: Develop->Show Info->Show Color…  – Phoenix: Advanced->UI->Show Color…)

If a texture is the color 106,70,43 (a skin color) and the Build Tool color is white (255,255,255) then Show Color will return 106,70,43. If you set the color to 100,100,100 (medium dark grey) then Show Color will return 41,26,18. The resulting 41,26,18 is a useless value for trying to match colors. What this means is you need to check the demo to see if the maker is using a colored or gray scale texture. (What happens is: 100/255 x 106 = 41) Or at least make sure their coloring tool works well. Color problems are another reason to only buy Mod-OK stuff."

In my experience the mesh feet by Slink have the best way to match avatar skin with the mesh feet.  The mesh feet have a texture - not a solid single colour.  Then there is also included "Mesh ankle blender" texture on the tattoo layer.  That texture goes on avatar's lower leg and it's opacity can be changed.  The effect is that avatar's legs will match the mesh feet texture very well.  Pretty excellent match can be attained.

Many of the HUDs that come with prim feet or prim feet shoes are simply poorly made. They either don't work at all, or the colors come out nothing like the ones selected in the color wheel. 

One of the most famous and expensive shoe stores has the worst HUD of all. You have to type in the numbers, and end up with green or blue feet for your troubles. If you are lucky one of the pre set colors is close enough, but that doesn't often happen.

So far, SLink has the best shoes and prim feet and the easiest, best HUD. I have no financial interest or part of their store. I do wish they'd bring back their invisiprim products even on marketplace. Not everyone is in a viewer that uses alpha layers.

Since my previous post, I have found at least part of the answer.  I discovered Siddean Munro's Slink shoes.  It takes a little work, but I can get a perfect color match of the foot to my skin.  She has an excellent video in her Web site that gives detailed instructions.

ETA:  Apologies to Coby.  I overlooked her post when I posted this, but I saw it later.

Ina Fairport wrote:

And another question is, why don't skin creators and primfeet builders work together  ??

For instance, a feet builder provides texture/mod feet and the skin creator applies the right texture and color on the feet for the different skins !

I agree. The skin and shape makers have to know how terrible the feet are. Obviously they are bad enough that separate feet have been made.  So they should figure out how to make a whole body decent. The hands and feet never look good.

I've bought various kinds of bare feet and never get the color to stay. I will finally get a really good match and then move somewhere else and they go dark. 

Frustrating.

Raven1 Short wrote:

I agree. The skin and shape makers have to know how terrible the feet are. Obviously they are bad enough that separate feet have been made.  So they should figure out how to make a whole body decent. The hands and feet never look good.

Yes, one would think that they would jump at the opportunity to have a marketing edge on other designers.  Similar to what Xcite! does.  If your skin is from certain creators that they work with, there are preset colors they supply for their products that match very well.

• 4 weeks later...

found this programme which gives you the RGB values of any where you point on your avitars body...point at the base of the ankle near where the shoe fits and try typing in the RGB value it gives you??? worth a try ive got it to match pretty close on shoes where you use the RGB colour range to match skins.

http://colorcop.net/download

If you play around for like ever and ever you can get even the worst of them to match failry close. I've learned to live with that.

What I really really REALLY want are more shoes with stockings options like the Ncore Shark.. but better. Ncore Shark is the only shoes I have which I can match to some of my stockings collection. I have others which have sock/stocking options but the shark are the only ones I can wear stockings from No. 9 or whoever..

Something with options for seamed or not seamed, reenforced heel/toes. Wouldn't it be great to have your pedicure showing though your sheer stockings??

It's impossible to match skin color on SL body and any prim/sculpt/mesh. If you even change the lighting slightly it will go off. It's because the stupid lighting system SL has that decides to illuminate SL body completely different from everything else. No mesh feet/hands do not improve even the slightest. Those ads you see in the store of perfectly matched feet/hands are mostly photoshopped, or taken under extremely carefully toned lighting that you will probably never be able to achieve.

• 2 months later...

I finally gave up and started making my own skins and prim feet with shoes much easier to get a good base color that way. Most of my skins are close to one color at the ankles to get an easy match with most huds. Putting a texture on the foot usually backfires as you cannot get a close match. Id rather have a nice matching let area than texturing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.