Alpha masks and avatar resolution problems

Ivy Krautrauch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lately, any time I put on an alpha, my avatar shows up with purple stripes, or invisible so you can see her eyeballs, or her skin is rearranged with the lips on the front of her thighs, or her breast on the back of her shin, or some other psychedelic bad nightmare.  I'm shockingly ugly, and nothing helps until I either take off the alpha or restart and cross my fingers that I am rezzing properly.  Is there any fix to this?  I've searched the marketplace and I can't find a gadget to help.

Thanks,

Ivy

That does not sound like a problem with an alpha layer. I have actually had my eyes bulge from my head because of the mesh content itself. Since mesh is attaching to the avatar "skeleton" there is the possibility that the creator has make some bone structure move within their 3D creation program.

I guess then trying on mesh demos can make your avatar persistently disfigured?  The only way I've found to correct this is to change to my furry avatar, then put a regular outfit on as a human from the "my outfits" list of saved items.  It does not always work.  Also, my son's computer is about 5x faster and I don't have this problem to the same extent when I'm using it; the "rebake textures" actually works on his computer and although I do need to relog sometimes, I feel like I can go places and do things without having to monitor how I look constantly.

This computer used to run SL just fine.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, but will do it again if directed.

I'm thinking about wearing a cloud avatar and just telling everyone that I've retire from rezzing... but then I couldn't go shopping constantly!  :-(

Yes it can Ivy, sadly.

The times that it has happened to me, I had to take off the mesh and relog.

Mesh content is still in its infancy. It will get better. It really was not thought out all that well by LL when they decided to add mesh. They never thought about clothing creation, they only saw it in building tools.

Ivy Krautrauch wrote:

purple stripes, or her skin is rearranged with the lips on the front of her thighs, or her breast on the back of her shin, or some other psychedelic bad nightmare. Ivy

Sounds like a cache issue and or a graphics driver issue. I would recommend manually clearing cache..

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Clearing-Cache-Manually/td-p/1214051

Also.. as it stands right now. *your* computer is responsible for "baking" your avatar for yourself and how others see you inworld. Basically all the painted layers of the base avatar including alpha layers are rendered by your graphics card on your computer. From your description of purple stripes, lips, and breasts sounds like a very possible graphics driver problem that can be resolved by updating your graphics cards driver per the manufacturer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.