Admiting defeat

BearNorthmann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all!

I was hoping to avoid "noob" questions, but after a week of reading tutorials and going through the forums, I'm ready to ask for help.  I have tried everything that has been suggested for other people... but something I'm doing must just be messing me up. :)  (Sorry if this is a reptative question).

Apparently my avatar enjoys being a nudist. 

I have succeeded in putting new clothes on it in the editor, but as soon as I save and exit the editor, all the clothes disappear, my shape reverts back to another one, my skin color changes and I get long white hair. 

I thought I hit a wrong button, so i go back in.  But now, it won't let me add more than 2 attachments... and anything that I select to "wear" won't show up on my avatar. 

Is this a common issue for new people?  If so, pointing to the appropriate FAQ section will be fine, but hopefully I can gain a bit more guidance and move away from the "standard" avatars I've had to rely on.

Thanks

Try adding to your outfit directly from your inventory. If you have learned how to unpack boxes, then find the folder with the cloting in it. i.e jeans and a tshirt, wear them or add by right clicking the item in the folder in your inventory.

Are you wearing one of the new mesh starter avatars?

That will not be the first time it causes problems and frustration. They were new in May this year, and all tutorials written before this time will not adress them and their difference from "classic" avatars. 

Try to change avatar via the "Me menu". Me>choose an avatar>classic. You will perhaps think these avatars look uglier, but they are modifiable so you can change skins on them, edit facial features, add on clothes that are shown as clothing pieces and not cubes. An annoying part is thet many of them have underwear painted directly onto the skin. This list show stores with free things for avatars under 30 days old. http://fabfree.wordpress.com/fabfree-30-days-list/

If I am wrong and you already use a classic avatar, then we need to dig deeper into this problem.

*edit: I see it wasn't your problem. :)

If you get yourself into the habit of clicking "add" instead of wear when right clicking items, you'll be less likely to run into this, and similar, problems in the future.

Think of it in this manner...

wear=replace whatever is already on my body in that particular spot

add=put this new item on, in addition to whatever is already on my body in that particular spot

It'll probably save you some headaches and frustrations down the road.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.